Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Yongtjunkit

Windows activation issue

Recommended Posts

Posted · Original PosterOP

Hi, 

 

So I got the prompt to activate windows but this laptop comes with windows 8, so I’ve contacted dell and they said that to use windows 8.1/10, you’ll need to “purchase a product key” 

A3D873D5-B557-43D5-AF03-86AB22D7428B.png.08773a59d5511cb36deb78e739f718d1.png

5DD0BE8A-22D1-44D8-A298-8E0C52B61F31.png.7551e75dca64cfe537a8321686221459.png

 

Isn’t windows 8.1 a free upgrade to windows 8 user and windows 8 is EOL? 
 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just update to Windows 10, log in to your Microsoft account when asked and you will be just fine.


CPU:i7 9700k 5047.5Mhz All Cores Mobo: MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Edge AC, RAM:Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB 3200MHz DDR4 OC 3467Mhz GPU:MSI RTX 2070 ARMOR 8GB OC Storage:Samsung SSD 970 EVO NVMe M.2 250GB, 2x SSD ADATA PRO SP900 256GB, HDD WD CB 2TB, HDD GREEN 2TB PSU: Seasonic focus plus 750w Gold Display(s): 1st: LG 27UK650-W, 4K, IPS, HDR10, 10bit(8bit + A-FRC). 2nd: Samsung 24" LED Monitor (SE390), Cooling:Fazn CPU Cooler Aero 120T Push/pull Corsair ML PRO Fans Keyboard: Corsair K95 Platinum RGB mx Rapidfire Mouse:Razer Naga Chroma  Headset: Razer Kraken 7.1 Chroma Sound: Logitech X-540 5.1 Surround Sound Speaker Case: Modded Case Inverted, 5 intake 120mm, one exhaust 120mm.

Link to post
Share on other sites

My memory is currently. Windows 8 key number will activate windows10.  Just try your win8 key and see what happens


Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
20 minutes ago, Constantin said:

Just update to Windows 10, log in to your Microsoft account when asked and you will be just fine.

 

19 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

My memory is currently. Windows 8 key number will activate windows10.  Just try your win8 key and see what happens

There’s apparently no product key embedded into the bios for some reason or only the dell image can see

 

like windows 10 setup would ask for my product key 

 

even produkey can’t see it 

Link to post
Share on other sites

It’s not printed on the side of your machine or in some handbook or something?


Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Yongtjunkit said:

There’s apparently no product key embedded into the bios for some reason or only the dell image can see

 

like windows 10 setup would ask for my product key 

Windows 10 setup will ask; choose I don't have a product key, install, then activate it using Control Panel to see if it will work.


Desktop: KRySTaLoGi-PC Build Log (i7-4790K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Bell - Unlimited Calling & Texting + 10GB Data
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | HP Touchpad | ASUS ME302C
Camera: Canon SX280 + Rebel T1i (500D) | Sony HDR-AS50R | Panasonic DMC-TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
5 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

It’s not printed on the side of your machine or in some handbook or something?

Not on the machine as far as I can tell... don’t have the handbook with me, according to dell it’s supposed to be embedded in the bios which is supposed to be the case for machines with win8 or newer as far as I know 

3 hours ago, kirashi said:

Windows 10 setup will ask; choose I don't have a product key, install, then activate it using Control Panel to see if it will work.

This PC was never upgraded to windows 10

 

53 minutes ago, Yongtjunkit said:

Not on the machine as far as I can tell... don’t have the handbook with me, according to dell it’s supposed to be embedded in the bios which is supposed to be the case for machines with win8 or newer as far as I know 

This PC was never upgraded to windows 10

So this is theoretical?

 

27 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

So this is theoretical?

Well as far as I know..... 

 

some machine may have a COA sticker 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Whoops.... @Bombastinator, sorry, accidentally merged your post inside @Yongtjunkit's post. Shit happens, it seems.

 

Anyway. Win7/8/.1 keys will activate as Win10 if you install Win10 and select to skip product key during installation. I've done this to two laptops, one being my own. It just works.


^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, LogicalDrm said:

Whoops.... @Bombastinator, sorry, accidentally merged your post inside @Yongtjunkit's post. Shit happens, it seems.

 

Anyway. Win7/8/.1 keys will activate as Win10 if you install Win10 and select to skip product key during installation. I've done this to two laptops, one being my own. It just works.

S’all good. 


Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Link to post
Share on other sites

If you don't have a key, but your system is Activated with Windows 7 or newer.

You can download the Windows 10 Download Tool to upgrade to Windows 10 (Not a clean install),

Once you boot into Windows 10 and it shows its activated with digital entitlement, you can do a clean install.


System1 - OS: Arch Linux CPU: Ryzen 3600 @ 4.1 Ghz 1.3v Motherboard: Asus Strix B450-F Gaming RAM: 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro @ 3200 CL16 GPU: MSI Radeon 5700XT Mech OC

System2 - OS: Manjaro Linux CPU: Ryzen 3600 @ 4.2 Ghz 1.32v Motherboard: Asus Crosshair VI Hero X370 RAM: 2x8GB Samsung @ 3200 CL16 GPU: AMD 5700XT Reference Card

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
1 hour ago, Nayr438 said:

If you don't have a key, but your system is Activated with Windows 7 or newer.

You can download the Windows 10 Download Tool to upgrade to Windows 10 (Not a clean install),

Once you boot into Windows 10 and it shows its activated with digital entitlement, you can do a clean install.

Unfortunately windows 8.1 single language isn’t activated even though it comes preloaded with windows 8 single language

Link to post
Share on other sites

Then you either have to buy a key or get a install media for your laptop, that supports the activation method implemented in the bios. It's usually easier to buy a new key. You could always take your chances with the grey market.


System1 - OS: Arch Linux CPU: Ryzen 3600 @ 4.1 Ghz 1.3v Motherboard: Asus Strix B450-F Gaming RAM: 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro @ 3200 CL16 GPU: MSI Radeon 5700XT Mech OC

System2 - OS: Manjaro Linux CPU: Ryzen 3600 @ 4.2 Ghz 1.32v Motherboard: Asus Crosshair VI Hero X370 RAM: 2x8GB Samsung @ 3200 CL16 GPU: AMD 5700XT Reference Card

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×