Tips for a nub

Hey guys!

So, the wife has okayed a new pc. My kids are getting old enough to use their own and instead of building 2 new pcs for them, I want to take my old one and set up a few virtual machines (two for them and potentially a nas/host). 

Current build:

6800k (6 core 12 thread)

Asus Strix x99

32GB Ram Corsair Dominator 3000mHz

Gigabyte GTX 980 Windforce x2

I'll need some more storage and a UPS but that should be it? The kids won't do a whole lot in the machines aside from playing the occasional minecraft and homework. 

Also, I haven't messed around with virtualized machines at all and I only have a vague idea how it should go down. Is this a feasible idea? Which software is steady enough for kids to muck around on while being new user friendly? Are there any tips you would like to impart on a newb? Do I need to enable virtualization in the bios? Or should I just build them 2 newer cheap computers? Thanks very much as I have no idea what I'm doing! 

You can do this with vms, install a linux disto like proxmox, then make vms and do passthough. I don't know what tips to give other than give it a shot and see how it goes, and ask questions and google things as you go along. There are lots of guides to follow for this. Have you looked at any of them?

Id be tempted to sell the system and get 2 cheap ones, easier to setup and manager.

I'd think about getting a used 6950x to get 10 core or xeon similar to it ( E5-2640 V4 )

that way each kid can have a quad core with a 980 and 12gb of ram

that gives 2 cores and 8gb of ram for NAS/ MC server

Edited by GDRRiley
added xeons

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

7 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

You can do this with vms, install a linux disto like proxmox, then make vms and do passthough. I don't know what tips to give other than give it a shot and see how it goes, and ask questions and google things as you go along. There are lots of guides to follow for this. Have you looked at any of them?

Id be tempted to sell the system and get 2 cheap ones, easier to setup and manager.

Hey, yea I've looked at unraid because I've seen LTT use it and that's all I'm really familiar with. I've also watched a couple of their videos using it and it doesn't seem to bad. I've also considered selling it. I guess I'm a little sentimental as I'm still using my i5 750 on a p55 board from a literal decade ago in my htpc lol.

Just now, SolidSnakesSolidSnake said:

Hey, yea I've looked at unraid because I've seen LTT use it and that's all I'm really familiar with. I've also watched a couple of their videos using it and it doesn't seem to bad. I've also considered selling it. I guess I'm a little sentimental as I'm still using my i5 750 on a p55 board from a literal decade ago in my htpc lol.

Id try something like proxmox or fedora/ubuntu/debian. Just gives you more options for vms, I don't find it hard to use either, esp with the guides. 

Why not just install and see what happens. Try following a guide like this https://old.reddit.com/r/homelab/comments/b5xpua/the_ultimate_beginners_guide_to_gpu_passthrough/

8 minutes ago, GDRRiley said:

I'd think about getting a used 6950x to get 10 core or xeon similar to it

that way each kid can have a quad core with a 980 and 12gb of ram

that gives 2 cores and 8gb of ram for NAS/ MC server

Hey, I've thought about that too. I've looked at 6950x on eBay. Unfortunately the best prices I come across feel sketchy or go for $400-600 used. For that I could grab a couple semi decent cpus and mobos. Thanks though!

5 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Id try something like proxmox or fedora/ubuntu/debian. Just gives you more options for vms, I don't find it hard to use either, esp with the guides. 

Why not just install and see what happens. Try following a guide like this https://old.reddit.com/r/homelab/comments/b5xpua/the_ultimate_beginners_guide_to_gpu_passthrough/

Cool, I'll do that! Thanks for the link! 

3 minutes ago, SolidSnakesSolidSnake said:

Hey, I've thought about that too. I've looked at 6950x on eBay. Unfortunately the best prices I come across feel sketchy or go for $400-600 used. For that I could grab a couple semi decent cpus and mobos. Thanks though!

there was some 8-14 core xeons for 250-300

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

41 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

one thing to note is some as es, just take note 

Oh cool I'll check that out too!

If you go the GPU pass-through route on Proxmox this is something I've successfully done myself. It has some hardware support prerequisites but beyond that most of the steps are outlined in the Proxmox documentation. However I will say one very important step did not work as outlined and I only knew the correct workaround because I've done GPU pass-through on Ubuntu (Debian) before.