Warcraft 3 reforged is a complete disaster

spartaman64

Gamers of a certain age fondly remember Warcraft III as a seminal entry in the annals of gaming history.

In an effort to rekindle that nostalgia, yesterday, Blizzard Entertainment released the long-awaited remake Warcraft III: Reforged. As players eagerly jump in, the reactions have been nothing short of scathing.

Complaints levied at Warcraft III: Reforged run the gamut. The game is ridden with seemingly downgraded graphics, missing assets, shoddy animations, countless bugs, facets of multiplayer not working correctly, recycled cinematics, sketchy performance, and the absence of a UI refresh among other promised features.

Players Lambast Problem-Ridden Warcraft III: Reforged

There are even reports that Blizzard attempted to quell the discontent by banning users on the official Warcraft III forum seeking out refunds.

The forum tells a similar story about the game’s reception with thread titles such as ‘You Have Killed Warcraft 3’ and ‘That’s what happens when you fire 800 employees’.

While tempers flair among the player base, Blizzard remains disconcertingly quiet.

image.png.8b6c090a0e6735b5731a120d7a91dafe.png

Everytime I look at the metacritic score it gets worse.

image.png.7b4b650d72a73ac44dddbfad790565c4.png

source: https://www.ccn.com/warcraft-iii-reforged-is-a-bug-ridden-mess-and-gamers-are-absolutely-livid/

I understand not wanting to spend a lot of time working on a remaster though I question why even release it in this state but forcing people with the previous version to update to this buggy broken version is just terrible. I would suggest blizzard to reverse the updates and separate the two versions at the very least and if they don't want to issue refunds then do their best to fix it. This also doesn't bode well for future blizzard games if they think this is of acceptable quality to be released.

Blizzard is rotten anyway, not cold enough :P

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

5 minutes ago, spartaman64 said:

When you open Gmod for the first time without getting the old Counter Strike textures 

It's almost as if they didn't do enough ''''crunch time'''' (read as: 12 hour days, 6 days a week)

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

The official Reforged forums are 99% rage at the moment and Activision-Blizzard is silent.

I would just do chargebacks if they don't want to refund the money. They aren't entitled to any money if the product isn't what it was supposed to be. Remasters really need to die if you can't be arsed to do a good job. 

Edit: Why would they mix the two versions together?! 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

rebodged release.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

3 minutes ago, minibois said:

It's almost as if they didn't do enough ''''crunch time'''' (read as: 12 hour days, 6 days a week)

Clearly they should have just delayed it. Especially considering it's a remaster Blizzard and it's fan should want to do the original justice.

3 minutes ago, TheGlenlivet said:

Between this and the China stuff from a few months back, they need to get their shit together....

they also moved overwatch league from twitch to youtube which i think is a terrible decision

Page 4

blizzard is just making dumb decisions all around

Meanwhile, I am having a blast and zero issues with the game.

Did not check out the MP part, but honestly never got interested in that anyways. (Hell, I don't even remember it having MP originally,...)

Did not run into any graphical bugs, performance issues, crashes or letdowns. It is just basically the old game with slightly shinier pictures, sounds and videos.

Got all I expected to get tbh.

Not quite sure what people expected it to be. A new game? They would have called it Warcraft IV then.

Blizzard banning people. Oh boy, what a shock. This company has their moral compass so fucked up they couldn't find their own ass even if they tried.

27 minutes ago, Xiee said:

Blizzard died the moment they merged with Activision.

Partially true. Activision merged with Vivendi in 2008, which happened to be the parent company of Blizzard.

We'd be lying to ourselves if we said that Blizzard was dead between 2008 and 2012. Some of their best years were then. Unless you got your nostalgia glasses on of course.

They did die because of Activision eventually. This was very noticable when major players from the dev teams and founders started leaving.

Current and future games have the Blizzard stamp on them, but we all know they are not real Blizzard games. #sadface

AMD Ryzen 9 5900X - Nvidia RTX 3090 FE - Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 32GB DDR4 3200MHz - Samsung 980 Pro 250GB NVMe m.2 PCIE 4.0 - 970 Evo 1TB NVMe m.2 - T5 500GB External SSD - Asus ROG Strix B550-F Gaming (Wi-Fi 6) - Corsair H150i Pro RGB 360mm - 3 x 120mm Corsair AF120 Quiet Edition - 3 x 120mm Corsair ML120 - Corsair RM850X - Corsair Carbide 275R - Asus ROG PG279Q IPS 1440p 165hz G-Sync - Logitech G513 Linear - Logitech G502 Lightsync Wireless - Steelseries Arctic 7 Wireless

21 minutes ago, Tech Enthusiast said:

Meanwhile, I am having a blast and zero issues with the game.

Did not check out the MP part, but honestly never got interested in that anyways. (Hell, I don't even remember it having MP originally,...)

Did not run into any graphical bugs, performance issues, crashes or letdowns. It is just basically the old game with slightly shinier pictures, sounds and videos.

Got all I expected to get tbh.

Not quite sure what people expected it to be. A new game? They would have called it Warcraft IV then.

idk you dont get a metacritic score of 1.9 lower than fallout 76 without doing something wrong. and like fallout 76 some people are going to like the game but that doesnt mean that nothing is wrong unlike what my chem professor thought when 80% of the people failed an exam but hey the top score is 94% so that means theres nothing wrong with the exam

1 minute ago, Reytime said:

Partially true. Activision merged with Vivendi in 2008, which happened to be the parent company of Blizzard.

We'd be lying to ourselves if we said that Blizzard was dead between 2008 and 2012. Some of their best years were then. Unless you got your nostalgia glasses on of course.

They did die because of Activision eventually. This was very noticable when major players from the dev teams and founders started leaving.

Current and future games have the Blizzard stamp on them, but we all know they are not real Blizzard games. #sadface

Overwatch is actually a surprisingly good game. And engine powering it looks nice and runs really nice. The main issue is with their absolutely fucked up "support", how they refuse to talk specifics when suspended/banned, refuse to do shit when you ask them to and they are just so full of shit and just straight up lying about things to a point you can't roll your eyes hard enough to actually believe the manure that's coming out of their mouths. And god their oversensitive crybaby userbase that's offended by freaking everything. Literally never seen anything this bad in my entire life. And that's what they endorse specifically so it's their doing.

1 minute ago, spartaman64 said:

idk you dont get a metacritic score of 1.9 lower than fallout 76 without doing something wrong. and like fallout 76 some people are going to like the game but that doesnt mean that nothing is wrong unlike what my chem professor thought when 80% of the people are failed an exam but hey the top score is 94% so that means theres nothing wrong with the exam

I get that, but I still feel like the outrage is a little extreme.

Most of the points mentioned around the web are flat out wrong after all. You just need to fire up the game and look at it to verify,... that is why I am strongly skeptical about what is happening here. 

Kind of expect a MP loving gang of people review bombing here TBH. As I said: I did not look into that and don't plan to. 

The game itself, the campaign, is done better than expected. By far actually. You can even pick to run the original game and compare,... they reworked about everything, including sound, videos and voiceover.

Crying about not having animated loading screens seems kind of,... extreme, no? Especially since I am just now looking at an animated loading screen. ?

8 minutes ago, Tech Enthusiast said:

I get that, but I still feel like the outrage is a little extreme.

Most of the points mentioned around the web are flat out wrong after all. You just need to fire up the game and look at it to verify,... that is why I am strongly skeptical about what is happening here. 

Kind of expect a MP loving gang of people review bombing here TBH. As I said: I did not look into that and don't plan to. 

The game itself, the campaign, is done better than expected. By far actually. You can even pick to run the original game and compare,... they reworked about everything, including sound, videos and voiceover.

Crying about not having animated loading screens seems kind of,... extreme, no? Especially since I am just now looking at an animated loading screen. ?

just because you dont have a problem doesnt mean it doesnt exist just like with all game bugs it happens to some people it doesnt happen with others.

6 minutes ago, Tech Enthusiast said:

If we could do that in the 2000's, why can't we do it now? Was it too much work? Too bad! You're a company and should be looking to put your best product forward. 

As a lover of RTS, that scene did hold a lot of my time growing up. If we could play that on LAN (arguably even WAN), speeds that would even make snails blush, why should we expect issues with faster networks? And then not riot against the company? 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

17 hours ago, RejZoR said:

Overwatch is actually a surprisingly good game. And engine powering it looks nice and runs really nice. The main issue is with their absolutely fucked up "support", how they refuse to talk specifics when suspended/banned, refuse to do shit when you ask them to and they are just so full of shit and just straight up lying about things to a point you can't roll your eyes hard enough to actually believe the manure that's coming out of their mouths. And god their oversensitive crybaby userbase that's offended by freaking everything. Literally never seen anything this bad in my entire life. And that's what they endorse specifically so it's their doing.

Overwatch was however the end result of a cancelled project which the ''old Blizzard'' was working on. Many people who made that game happen are no longer with the company.

AMD Ryzen 9 5900X - Nvidia RTX 3090 FE - Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 32GB DDR4 3200MHz - Samsung 980 Pro 250GB NVMe m.2 PCIE 4.0 - 970 Evo 1TB NVMe m.2 - T5 500GB External SSD - Asus ROG Strix B550-F Gaming (Wi-Fi 6) - Corsair H150i Pro RGB 360mm - 3 x 120mm Corsair AF120 Quiet Edition - 3 x 120mm Corsair ML120 - Corsair RM850X - Corsair Carbide 275R - Asus ROG PG279Q IPS 1440p 165hz G-Sync - Logitech G513 Linear - Logitech G502 Lightsync Wireless - Steelseries Arctic 7 Wireless

1 hour ago, ARikozuM said:

I would just do chargebacks if they don't want to refund the money. 

Yup - and this works.  The worst thing that will happen is that CC/Bank account gets banned from their (in this example Activision/Blizzard) system

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Wifes Rig: ASRock B550m Riptide, Ryzen 5 5600X, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker RAM, ARESGAME AGS 850w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750, 500gb Crucial m.2, DIYPC MA01-G case

My Rig: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Daughter 1 Rig: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper CL14 2666mhz RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case. 

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Daughter 2 Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury Tri-X, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case

1 hour ago, Jack_of_all_Trades said:

Also blizz does not exist anymore, there is only the dead body of the company that is being used as a sock puppet by the cock of Activision.

(spoiler since it's NFSW)

you have been warned.

*Insert Witty Signature here*

System Config: https://au.pcpartpicker.com/list/Tncs9N

*looks at WCIII on desk next to me* And here I am with my ancient original copy.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Nu blizzard managed to completely fuck one of their masterpieces. Almost impressive. The Arthas vs Illidan cutscene is pure cringe.

A lot of blizzard died when Metzen retired. The rest died when Morhaime stepped down.

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 32GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Logitech G815 / Logitech G502 / Sennheiser HD 599

2021 Razer Blade 14 3070 / S23 Ultra

With all the terrible Blizzard business decisions and staff departures over the previous years, the developer which made past games people loved is long dead and gone.

Mike Morhaime, Blizzard co-founder and CEO, leaves the company

Blizzard Co-Founder Frank Pearce Exits After 28 Years

Departure Message From Frank Pearce And J. Allen Brack

Over 100 Blizzard employees were paid to leave the company

Hearthstone lead leaves Blizzard

Activision Blizzard Loses its Second Executive in a Week - Spencer Neumann and Amrita Ahuja leave

Low morale at Blizzard Esports is reportedly leading to high-profile departures

Blizzard’s Staff Is Still Unhappy, More High Profile Employees Are Leaving Due To Low Morale

Blizzard staff are concerned ActiVision is having too much influence in Blizzard

Original ‘Diablo’ developer (David Brevik) calls out Blizzard for disrespecting its employees

Blizzard 'has completely changed,' say Diablo's original creators

The released product of Diablo 3, not to mention the time it took to make, proved that Blizzard was already lost in the woods while making it.

Flashback of some fallout over that:

Diablo 3 Developers React Angrily to David Brevik Interview

Diablo 3's Jay Wilson Apologizes To David Brevik, Entire Diablo Community

Diablo co-creator discusses his original vision for Diablo III and the future for Marvel Heroes

I would say that Blizzard was a sell-out studio throughout the history of its existence, but Blizzard sold itself so readily and early in its existence that it was never really in control of itself to have the chance to continue being a sell-out studio. It's gotten around more than a cheap hooker.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blizzard_Entertainment

'Blizzard' was purchased by Davidson & Associates in 1994.

Davidson & Associates was sold to CUC International in 1996.

CUC International became a part of Cendant in 1997.

Cendant sold its publishers to Havas in 1998.

Havas was bought by Vivendi in 1998.

Vivendi Games merged with Activision in 2008 and became Activision Blizzard.

Activision Blizzard became independent in 2013 by purchasing a majority of the company's shares from Vivendi.

Blizzard has been like a card that companies keep in their personal deck for a short while before trading it again. I wonder what psychological effect that has on the studio's management and how challenging it is to keep a consistent development philosophy while ownership keeps changing.

The last independent game Blizzard made was likely Rock n' Roll Racing or The Lost Vikings, which was before Blizzard was called Blizzard, and while it was still called Chaos Studios. Warcraft: Orcs and Humans was released in late 1994, and Blizzard was acquired by Davidson & Associates in early 1994. Maybe Blizzard had started working on Warcraft: Orcs and Humans before they were purchased.

Personally, I think Warcraft II is the last great game Blizzard has made. I find Starcraft to be pretty good, but Warcraft III went completely cheesy and lame with the story. And the limitation on how many units can be built in War 3 was a letdown.

I think that since then, Blizzard have made highly-polished, yet extremely cheesy fairy-fart narratives that wasted the games' potentials, largely due to Chris Metzen. He had been given way too much influence in the company and over game narratives, despite his writing being cheesy, sappy, tropey, cliche, and overall undermining the games Blizzard were making. Metzen was brilliant at artwork, but was an utterly cringy hack as a writer. He should have been kept on artwork duty, which is where he shone.

I see Chris Metzen finally leaving the company in 2016 as a long-overdue positive development. But at the same time, tons of Blizzard's other staff have also left or been fired since then. So, whatever benefit Chris' departure might have yielded is probably offset by the flushing of the studio's talent.

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987