Drop 6XX+amp?

Entropy.

Have any ideas for what amps go well with the HD 6XX? Tube amps or solid state?

I am NOT a professional and a lot of the time what I'm saying is based on limited knowledge and experience. I'm going to be incorrect at times. 

Motherboard Tier List                   How many watts do I need?
Best B550 Motherboards             Best Intel Z490 Motherboards

PC Troubleshooting                      You don't need a big PSU

PSU Tier List                                Common pc building mistakes 
PC BUILD Guide! (POV)              How to Overclock your CPU 

I personally prefer tube but thats just me. solid state runs fpretty great on them but im not a fan of the headphone without a tube. but many are

I use a Mayflower ARC MK2 with HD 650's. Might be overkill for your setup if you don't use an analog microphone. Have owned a Little Dot Mk IV with one of their DACs and just didn't see (hear) the point of all the expense.

4 hours ago, ShearMe said:

I use a Mayflower ARC MK2 with HD 650's. Might be overkill for your setup if you don't use an analog microphone. Have owned a Little Dot Mk IV with one of their DACs and just didn't see (hear) the point of all the expense.

If doesn't use a analog mic a fiio k5 pro should be fine

15 hours ago, rice guru said:

If doesn't use a analog mic a fiio k5 pro should be fine

Hm I'm thinking about the schiit vali Any concerns? 

I am NOT a professional and a lot of the time what I'm saying is based on limited knowledge and experience. I'm going to be incorrect at times. 

1 hour ago, InnerBeast Gaming said:

Hm I'm thinking about the schiit vali Any concerns? 

Aside from it being schiit and a tube amp.  not much really much of a schiit fan except for their newer stuff like a schiit heresy which is actually great. I also don't generally reccomend people get tubes to start with and reccomend solid states over that to begin with

2 hours ago, rice guru said:

Aside from it being schiit and a tube amp.  not much really much of a schiit fan except for their newer stuff like a schiit heresy which is actually great. I also don't generally reccomend people get tubes to start with and reccomend solid states over that to begin with

Hm how come? I feel that actually prefer Tubes- and Don't solid states

4 hours ago, InnerBeast Gaming said:

Hm how come? I feel that actually prefer Tubes- and Don't solid states

Tunes add a lot of stuff like color to a sound tubes tend to be a more expensive venture with tube rolling as well as tubes having a life span. Having a solid state puts beginners at a good spot a nice clean mostly linear amp with low out put impedance that doesn't mess with the sound of the headphone.

On 1/31/2020 at 1:13 AM, rice guru said:

Tunes add a lot of stuff like color to a sound tubes tend to be a more expensive venture with tube rolling as well as tubes having a life span. Having a solid state puts beginners at a good spot a nice clean mostly linear amp with low out put impedance that doesn't mess with the sound of the headphone.

Cool. Should I get smnthn Like a DAC+AMP or just a amp? Becuase I don't what the interference/noise would be, but on a lg gram 15', I think It would be quite a bit higher than on a desktop

my only experience with Schiit so far is their Fulla 2 which I've tested with the Sennheiser massdrop HD6xx and AKG K7xx. They both sounded good to me, but I'm not a pro audio engineer or anything. The only setup I've owned which sounded audibly better was an Oppo HA-1 DAC/amp driving their PM-1 cans with a balanced cable, and even then the difference wasn't huge - obvious, but not huge.

I ordered a Schiit Hel a month ago but it was backordered initially until Jan 28 but still hasn't shipped and now their website is saying ETA end of February.

HEDT: i9 10980XE @ 4.9 gHz, 64GB @ 3600mHz CL14 G.Skill Trident-Z DDR4, 2x Nvidia Titan RTX NVLink SLI, Corsair AX1600i, Samsung 960 Pro 2TB OS/apps, Samsung 850 EVO 4TB media, LG 38GL950G-B monitor, Drop CTRL keyboard, Decus Respec mouse

Laptop: Razer Blade Pro 2019 9750H model, 32GB @ 3200mHz CL18 G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4, 2x Samsung 960 Pro 1TB RAID0, repasted with Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut
Gaming Rig: i9 9900ks @ 5.2ghz, 32GB @ 4000mHz CL17 G.Skill Trident-Z DDR4, EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Kingpin, Corsair HX1200, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB, Asus PG348Q monitor, Corsair K70 LUX RGB keyboard, Corsair Ironclaw mouse
HTPC: i7 7700 (delidded + LM), 16GB @ 2666mHz CL15 Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4, MSI Geforce GTX 1070 Gaming X, Corsair SFX 600, Samsung 850 Pro 512gb, Samsung Q55R TV, Filco Majestouch Convertible 2 TKL keyboard, Logitech G403 wireless mouse

On 2/1/2020 at 10:55 PM, rice guru said:

You could... What's your budget?

Idk. 150-200 USD

On 2/2/2020 at 7:35 AM, Kalm_Traveler said:

my only experience with Schiit so far is their Fulla 2 which I've tested with the Sennheiser massdrop HD6xx and AKG K7xx. They both sounded good to me, but I'm not a pro audio engineer or anything. The only setup I've owned which sounded audibly better was an Oppo HA-1 DAC/amp driving their PM-1 cans with a balanced cable, and even then the difference wasn't huge - obvious, but not huge.

I ordered a Schiit Hel a month ago but it was backordered initially until Jan 28 but still hasn't shipped and now their website is saying ETA end of February.

Kool. But 10980xe? eW

On 2/1/2020 at 10:42 PM, InnerBeast Gaming said:

Cool. Should I get smnthn Like a DAC+AMP or just a amp? Becuase I don't what the interference/noise would be, but on a lg gram 15', I think It would be quite a bit higher than on a desktop

if you want a portable DAC/AMp the fiio Btr5 would be the way to go decent amount of power really good off a phone has LDAC and all the condecs for bluetooth. but if this is a t home setup Im not sure what to run as a DAC off the lg gram as a desktop setup then the schiit heresy and a topping d10 is a excellent start

On 1/29/2020 at 4:44 PM, InnerBeast Gaming said:

Have any ideas for what amps go well with the HD 6XX? Tube amps or solid state?

I'd go tubes for the 6XX. Little Dot MK3 or Dark Voice (you'll have to roll different tubes than the Chinese crap they come with) are 2 decent options. If you don't mind dropping about a grand, I'd aim for the TOR. https://www.toraudio.com/main.html?v=6

17 minutes ago, HumdrumPenguin said:

I'd go tubes for the 6XX. Little Dot MK3 or Dark Voice (you'll have to roll different tubes than the Chinese crap they come with) are 2 decent options. If you don't mind dropping about a grand, I'd aim for the TOR. https://www.toraudio.com/main.html?v=6

A GRAND?!? I'm usuing the 6xx's for a reason... 

I would only use something crazy like that if I was buying something like hd 820, in other words I wouldn't mind dropping 5k on some aduiophile gear. 

2 hours ago, rice guru said:

if you want a portable DAC/AMp the fiio Btr5 would be the way to go decent amount of power really good off a phone has LDAC and all the condecs for bluetooth. but if this is a t home setup Im not sure what to run as a DAC off the lg gram as a desktop setup then the schiit heresy and a topping d10 is a excellent start

Thanks... :).

2 minutes ago, InnerBeast Gaming said:

A GRAND?!? I'm usuing the 6xx's for a reason... 

I would only use something crazy like that if I was buying something like hd 820, in other words I wouldn't mind dropping 5k on some aduiophile gear. 

the hd 820 isn't exactly a headphone I would recc personally

19 minutes ago, rice guru said:

the hd 820 isn't exactly a headphone I would recc personally

I was about to say that...

4 hours ago, InnerBeast Gaming said:

Kool. But 10980xe? eW

eh?

HEDT: i9 10980XE @ 4.9 gHz, 64GB @ 3600mHz CL14 G.Skill Trident-Z DDR4, 2x Nvidia Titan RTX NVLink SLI, Corsair AX1600i, Samsung 960 Pro 2TB OS/apps, Samsung 850 EVO 4TB media, LG 38GL950G-B monitor, Drop CTRL keyboard, Decus Respec mouse

Laptop: Razer Blade Pro 2019 9750H model, 32GB @ 3200mHz CL18 G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4, 2x Samsung 960 Pro 1TB RAID0, repasted with Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut
Gaming Rig: i9 9900ks @ 5.2ghz, 32GB @ 4000mHz CL17 G.Skill Trident-Z DDR4, EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Kingpin, Corsair HX1200, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB, Asus PG348Q monitor, Corsair K70 LUX RGB keyboard, Corsair Ironclaw mouse
HTPC: i7 7700 (delidded + LM), 16GB @ 2666mHz CL15 Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4, MSI Geforce GTX 1070 Gaming X, Corsair SFX 600, Samsung 850 Pro 512gb, Samsung Q55R TV, Filco Majestouch Convertible 2 TKL keyboard, Logitech G403 wireless mouse

1 hour ago, Kalm_Traveler said:

eh?

3950x life mate. Looking at your build (at the bottom of your comments) 

5 minutes ago, InnerBeast Gaming said:

3950x life mate. Looking at your build (at the bottom of your comments) 

Oh no benefit for me. Already been on x299 for several years and I'd spend money to lose features and performance going to a 3950x.

18 minutes ago, Kalm_Traveler said:

Oh no benefit for me. Already been on x299 for several years and I'd spend money to lose features and performance going to a 3950x.

10980xe= 7980xe=worse preformance and feature set than the 3950x, even the extra 2 cores don't stack up very well against the 3950x. Just watch linuses... Or anybody else's comparisons, even if they compare 16c to 16c, insted of 18c to 16c... But you can see literally that the 3950x can still blow the 10980xe out of the water. Gaming preformance should be the same (from the 9960x to 10980xe) , no real benefit for gaming by adding 2 cores, But what did you upgrade from? I do repect your choice- just I hope you switch to AMD if you do a major revamp/another build... Also you could have rolled with the 3950x. Pretty much a good mobo and the 3950x is 1k. x299 is kind of outdated... you wouldn't lose features.

14 minutes ago, InnerBeast Gaming said:

10980xe= 7980xe=worse preformance and feature set than the 3950x, even the extra 2 cores don't stack up very well against the 3950x. Just watch linuses... Or anybody else's comparisons, even if they compare 16c to 16c, insted of 18c to 16c... But you can see literally that the 3950x can still blow the 10980xe out of the water. Gaming preformance should be the same (from the 9960x to 10980xe) , no real benefit for gaming by adding 2 cores, But what did you upgrade from? I do repect your choice- just I hope you switch to AMD if you do a major revamp/another build... Also you could have rolled with the 3950x. Pretty much a good mobo and the 3950x is 1k. x299 is kind of outdated... you wouldn't lose features.

Everything you're looking at is stock. 4.9ghz all core 10980xe still beats the 3950x at everything. Also Pci-e lanes, AVX512, etc. 

Upgraded from 7960x that topped out at 4.7ghz all core with ambient air temp water cooling. 

If I were starting from scratch I would probably go with the Threadripper 3970x but it would still be a bit of a hit in gaming which I do somewhat. 

... beats the stock 3950x at everything >:). Normal people have gotten 5.3 ghz all core boosts on the 3950x. Albeit, not a ton, but some.