Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TechNovice0010

Noctu NH-D15 cromax black

4 minutes ago, TechNovice0010 said:

So there is possibility of lifting the fan little bit higher so it doesn't interfere with ram? How much is it possible? 

Gpu shouldn't be trouble then, just the ram. 

With the fan in the default position, there's 32mm of clearance for ram under the fan and the cooler is 165mm in height. With 25mm of extra clearance in the case, the fan can be raised for ram up to 57mm tall. 

nh_d15_clearance_2016.png

Recommended Posts

Posted · Original PosterOP

Hello, I am in a process of scouting for best compatible Air cooler, and nh-d15 black catched my eye. But before I jump in the conclusion, I would like to see if it has any compatibility issues with my mobo(ASUS Rog Maximus X Hero(Wi-Fi, ac),since gpu is in first pci-e slot and my ram (it is about 44mm in height). I would also like some experiences with nh-d15 and how will it behave with I7 8700k (usuall idle and max temps not delided). Also If there is any other good, recommended cooler I would appreciate

advice. Thank you in advance! 

Link to post
Share on other sites

The front fan will hit tall memory such as that.

It won't interfere with any PCIe slots.

 

The D15 is an awesome cooler, and will do perfectly fine for an 8700k.


|| ℍ𝕚 𝕙𝕠𝕨 𝕒𝕣𝕖 𝕪𝕒 || 

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: GTX 1080 || Memory: 16GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Noctua D15 || PSU: 750W EVGA G2 || Case: Define C

Link to post
Share on other sites

You will run in to clearance issues with the second fan. Take a look at this https://noctua.at/en/how-big-is-the-nh-d15-and-how-much-clearance-does-it-provide-for-ram-and-chipset-coolers

 

The Thermaltake Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme Rev. B is a good alternative with 44mm ram clearance: 

http://www.thermalright.com/product/silver-arrow-ib-e-extreme-rev-b/Sliver-ArrowIBE-Extreme-Rev.B%E7%B7%9A%E


The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it. :P

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, electrolux said:

You will run in to clearance issues with the second fan.

The Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme has the same issue. 

 

What case are you using? With 44mm tall ram, you may need to raise the front fan or mount it on the other side of the cooler in pull. 

You can see any potential issues on the cooler's mainboard compatibility section: https://noctua.at/en/nh-d15/comp

The site lists no compatibility issues so there should be no issue with the top pcie slot unless you're using a graphics card with a particularly thick backplate. 

There are plenty of examples of the cooler on 8700k's online: https://pcpartpicker.com/builds/by_part/sxDzK8#h=209,799,370


If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP

I would like to make an edit about ram dimensions I think I might have overestimated in conversion. This picture is from amazon since I can't find dimensions on gskill site about this ram. 

(edit) Never mind, issue has been resolved it is 44mm

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
10 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

The Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme has the same issue. 

 

What case are you using? With 44mm tall ram, you may need to raise the front fan or mount it on the other side of the cooler in pull. 

You can see any potential issues on the cooler's mainboard compatibility section: https://noctua.at/en/nh-d15/comp

The site lists no compatibility issues so there should be no issue with the top pcie slot unless you're using a graphics card with a particularly thick backplate. 

There are plenty of examples of the cooler on 8700k's online: https://pcpartpicker.com/builds/by_part/sxDzK8#h=209,799,370

I am using Mastercase Pro 5 I think it will have enough space I think that clearenc is 190mm

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, TechNovice0010 said:

I would like to make an edit about ram dimensions I think I might have overestimated in conversion. This picture is from amazon since I can't find dimensions on gskill site about this ram. 

https://www.gskill.com/faq

Click on the first question: How tall are the memory modules?

1 minute ago, TechNovice0010 said:

I am using Mastercase Pro 5 I think it will have enough space I think that clearenc is 190mm

Yes, there should be plenty of clearance. 


If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
8 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

https://www.gskill.com/faq

Click on the first question: How tall are the memory modules?

Yes, there should be plenty of clearance. 

So there is possibility of lifting the fan little bit higher so it doesn't interfere with ram? How much is it possible? 

Gpu shouldn't be trouble then, just the ram. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Best Answer
4 minutes ago, TechNovice0010 said:

So there is possibility of lifting the fan little bit higher so it doesn't interfere with ram? How much is it possible? 

Gpu shouldn't be trouble then, just the ram. 

With the fan in the default position, there's 32mm of clearance for ram under the fan and the cooler is 165mm in height. With 25mm of extra clearance in the case, the fan can be raised for ram up to 57mm tall. 

nh_d15_clearance_2016.png


If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
2 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

With the fan in the default position, there's 32mm of clearance for ram under the fan and the cooler is 165mm in height. With 25mm of extra clearance in the case, the fan can be raised for ram up to 57mm tall. 

nh_d15_clearance_2016.png

Thank you very much! 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP

OK than, final question is (since It shouldn't interfere with pci-e slots and front fan can be lifted up a little bit above ram because of case clearance) should I get it or maybe get some of other options mentioned above. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, TechNovice0010 said:

OK than, final question is (since It shouldn't interfere with pci-e slots and front fan can be lifted up a little bit above ram because of case clearance) should I get it or maybe get some of other options mentioned above. 

What kind of features are you looking for in a cooler?

Where are you shopping / located? Budget?


If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
14 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

What kind of features are you looking for in a cooler?

Where are you shopping / located? Budget?

Budget is 120€, as for features  it is not much, I would like it to cool i7 8700k so it stays bellow at least 80°C on load before I delide it. 

(since the crappy aio that I have is not cooling at all i would have same temps as if there wasn't any cooler which is ~50°C idle and 90°C under load)

I would like  it to be in black coolor(although it is not a deal breaker if it isn't ) and to be quiet, since i have big case the size doesn't matter much since it can hold bigger coolers. And last I would like to avoid aio coolers since I have bad experience in 2 cases and since I want a peace of mind.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/30/2020 at 7:56 AM, TechNovice0010 said:

Budget is 120€, as for features  it is not much, I would like it to cool i7 8700k so it stays bellow at least 80°C on load before I delide it. 

(since the crappy aio that I have is not cooling at all i would have same temps as if there wasn't any cooler which is ~50°C idle and 90°C under load)

I would like  it to be in black coolor(although it is not a deal breaker if it isn't ) and to be quiet, since i have big case the size doesn't matter much since it can hold bigger coolers. And last I would like to avoid aio coolers since I have bad experience in 2 cases and since I want a peace of mind.

90c at load is still keeping temps in check. Without a cooler, the cpu would probably heavily throttle and sit at 105c at the bios before shutting down. 

From what you've described, the NH-D15 is hard to go wrong with. 


If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×