question about watercooling

i have some basic understanding of watercooling but i would like to know if someone who has no experience in watercooling a pc can and should watercool their pc if it makes any difference at all

-= Moved to Liquid and Exotic Cooling =-

Please be mindful of where you post your topics. Thanks.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

1 minute ago, SansVarnic said:

-= Moved to Liquid and Exotic Cooling =-

Please be mindful of where you post your topics. Thanks.

im not experienced at using forms to ask my questions i just learned of this place from linus mentioning it in his latest video

Don’t understand the question, you mean if knowing about it would matter when it comes to doing it?

Or if it matters to pc performance? 
Clear answer to both really. 
I didn’t know anything but I watched videos about it. Real videos, not like the stuff Jay was making at the time. Actual professionals and I’m a visual learner. 
You are either about it or not, someone telling you to do it on a forum shouldn’t be a large factor. 

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

watercooling is only recommended if you have a lot of hardware putting out a lot of heat, or if you just want to do it for the looks.

i personally like if 50/50 for the build and for the performance, so i tend to go for watercooling often.

the reality is that these days modern air coolers like the dark rock pro 4 or big noctua towers can easily match or in some cases even outperform watercooling loops. so if you should or shouldn't goes deeper than just a simple yes or no. it's a scenario specific thing really.

Just now, RollinLower said:

watercooling is only recommended if you have a lot of hardware putting out a lot of heat, or if you just want to do it for the looks.

i personally like if 50/50 for the build and for the performance, so i tend to go for watercooling often.

the reality is that these days modern air coolers like the dark rock pro 4 or big noctua towers can easily match or in some cases even outperform watercooling loops. so if you should or shouldn't goes deeper than just a simple yes or no. it's a scenario specific thing really.

im curious to know if a watercooled pc is more effective than this thing https://www.amazon.com/Cooler-Master-Hyper-Direct-Contact/dp/B005O65JXI/ref=sxin_2_ac_d_pm?ac_md=3-1-QmV0d2VlbiAkMjUgYW5kICQ1MA%3D%3D-ac_d_pm&crid=JL9R0LTR09VE&cv_ct_cx=cpu+heatsink&keywords=cpu+heatsink&pd_rd_i=B005O65JXI&pd_rd_r=f5a06946-b5b5-4881-b3be-a8f7309c5f10&pd_rd_w=lEJR1&pd_rd_wg=zR6vG&pf_rd_p=ef07af27-e48f-451d-ab63-8b6b216a0bc3&pf_rd_r=E4H6M4J7Q4X4A05BN4SX&psc=1&qid=1580326620&sprefix=cpu+heat%2Caps%2C261&sr=1-2-22d05c05-1231-4126-b7c4-3e7a9c0027d0 the heatsink i bought for my i7 8700k

7 minutes ago, JohnDoe94 said:

im not experienced at using forms to ask my questions i just learned of this place from linus mentioning it in his latest video

No worries, it happens with new members. I encourage you to read or skim through the Community Standards. There is good info there and some guides to help navigate the forum.

Welcome to the LTT Forums btw :) 

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

Ok, just so we are clear you mean actual water cooling right? Not just putting an aio in a pc? 
Either way either option could put perform that. 
But depends if you wonna push that cpu. 
I run mine at 5.0 and it’s delided on a custom loop and doesn’t get out of the low 50’s even at 90%+ on each “core”. 

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

1 minute ago, JohnDoe94 said:

that depends.

if you are just cooling the PC with a single 120mm radiator i doubt it would be better, but if you increase radiator size your cooling effectiveness increases aswell. 

so if watercooling would be better depends on the watercooling setup we're talking about.

the 212 is a pretty basic heatsink tough, so most watercooling configurations or AIO's will outperform it.

Just now, Mick Naughty said:

Ok, just so we are clear you mean actual water cooling right? Not just putting an aio in a pc? 
I run mine at 5.0 and it’s delided on a custom loop and doesn’t get out of the low 50’s even at 90%+ on each “core”. 

Just now, Mick Naughty said:

i heard of delidding but dont know how to do that is it hard also how do i delid a cpu also how do i not break it cause if i broke my cpu this would be the aftermath if i broke it by accident 

I think AIOs are worthless.

If you want to water cool, custom loop is the only way to go and there are many potential benefits to custom loops.

1. silence
  2. constant fan speed with no ramping up or down
  3. looks
  4. strong cooling for the GPU, which really needs it more than most gaming CPUs
  5. easy to optimize airflow in the case
  6. easy to clean dust

Just now, Chen G said:

I think AIOs are worthless.

If you want to water cool, custom loop is the only way to go and there are many potential benefits to custom loops.

1. silence
  2. constant fan speed with no ramping up or down
  3. looks
  4. strong cooling for the GPU, which really needs it more than most gaming CPUs
  5. easy to optimize airflow in the case
  6. easy to clean dust

AIO what is that?

25 minutes ago, JohnDoe94 said:

i have some basic understanding of watercooling but i would like to know if someone who has no experience in watercooling a pc can and should watercool their pc if it makes any difference at all

At some point in time anybody and everybody had no experience watercooling. The question is ill-posed since there is a first time for everyone.

With enough research and financial flexibilty, its just a matter of how difficult of a project you plan and your skill as a builder.

Just now, For Science! said:

At some point in time anybody and everybody had no experience watercooling. The question is ill-posed since there is a first time for everyone.

With enough research and financial flexibilty, its just a matter of how difficult of a project you plan and your skill as a builder.

id like to try watercooling my pc and see if that is better than air cooling also where i can buy watercooling for my computer cause i have no idea where to buy everything

See, it depends on a lot of things. For your average gaming PC ? No, it doesn't worth it, you'll be fine with even mid-range air cooler like Scythe Fuma 2 or be quiet! Dark Rock 4 (non-Pro). CM Hyper 212 on 8700k would be pretty hot but it would work just right in gaming too. And assuming you're asking not about custom-loop water cooling but the AIOs, they worth getting only if you're doing some workstation stuff on high-end CPUs, like video editing and such, and even then, in most situations the only difference with smth like Noctua NH-D15 would be less noise output. When water cooling really shines are in cooling GPUs because they're easier to cool than CPUs because they have larger die (and such less heat density), you can achieve 10-20°C lower thermals in load with AIO on high end GPUs than with stock air cooling, and since GPU boost algos are highly temperature dependent - that makes quite a difference. Also, if you have some VERY high power draw CPU like Intel HEDT, AMD Threadrippers, especially OC'd (as in, close to 300-400W power draw on the CPU only), water cooling becomes pretty much obvious choice too but it's hard to find a good AIO for these CPUs because they have larger IHS and most AIOs are designed for smaller IHS of LGA115x and AM3\4 socket CPUs, this is where custom loops step in.

Edit: personally i have Corsair H115i PRO AIO on Ryzen 7 3700X, it's about 70-80°C under AVX load with lowest possible fan and pump RPMs, it's virtually silent, but again, you wouldn't notice any difference in gaming over a good air cooler.

Tag or quote me so i see your reply

Just now, Juular said:

See, it depends on a lot of things. For your average gaming PC ? No, it doesn't worth it, you'll be fine with even mid-range air cooler like Scythe Fuma 2 or be quiet! Dark Rock 4 (non-Pro). CM Hyper 212 on 8700k would be pretty hot but it would work just right in gaming too. And assuming you're asking not about custom-loop water cooling but the AIOs, they worth getting only if you're doing some workstation stuff on high-end CPUs, like video editing and such, and even then, in most situations the only difference with smth like Noctua NH-D15 would be less noise output. When water cooling really shines are in cooling GPUs because they're easier to cool than CPUs because they have larger die (and such less heat density), you can achieve 10-20°C lower thermals in load with AIO on high end GPUs than with stock air cooling, and since GPU boost algos are highly temperature dependent - that makes quite a difference. Also, if you have some VERY high power draw CPU like Intel HEDT, AMD Threadrippers, especially OC'd (as in, close to 300-400W power draw on the CPU only), water cooling becomes pretty much obvious choice too but it's hard to find a good AIO for these CPUs because they have larger IHS and most AIOs are designed for smaller IHS of LGA115x and AM3\4 socket CPUs, this is where custom loops step in.

i got a question i heard of delidding is that a good idea should i delid my cpu and do whatever your supposed to do under a cpus lid?

Just now, JohnDoe94 said:

i got a question i heard of delidding is that a good idea should i delid my cpu and do whatever your supposed to do under a cpus lid?

The way you're asking that question, i'd say no, i mean, it has some benefit in thermals, especially on 8700K if you plan on OC'ing it but you don't seem too experienced and there are quite a risk of damaging the CPU if it's not done properly so don't bother with it.

Just now, Juular said:

The way you're asking that question, i'd say no, i mean, it has some benefit in thermals, especially on 8700K if you plan on OC'ing it but you don't seem too experienced and there are quite a risk of damaging the CPU if it's not done properly so don't bother with it.

should i get a professional to do it for me?

11 minutes ago, JohnDoe94 said:

should i get a professional to do it for me?

If you really want it then why not. You'll end up paying for delid kit about the same amount of money anyway, depends on the amount of money of course, i'd say no more than 50$ would worth it.

It sure as you haven’t told us what you have. But Corsair offer stuff, as well as ekwb. 
Performancepc is a site that sells everything. Even Newegg has kits and parts. 
I suggest you watch some videos about it and take notes. 

Just now, Juular said:

If you really want it then why not. You'll end up paying for delid kit about the same amount of money anyway, depends on the amount of money of course, i'd say no more than 50$ would worth it.

ok ill try doing it myself also where could i get a watercooling kit?

5 minutes ago, JohnDoe94 said:

so where can i get a watercooling kit for my pc?

As in, custom loop ? That's a whole other topic, i'd say hard pass on that, just get an AIO, depending on prices in your region i'd recommend 280\360mm AIOs from Corsair, EVGA, NZXT and Eisbaer (also probably from Thermaltake and Cooler Master). EKWB makes some newbie-friend-lish soft tube custom loop kits but you still need to do some researching about building custom loops, it's nearly not that easy as it sounds.

Just now, Juular said:

As in, custom loop ? That's a whole other topic, i'd say hard pass on that, just get an AIO, depending on prices in your region i'd recommend 280\360mm AIOs from Corsair, EVGA, NZXT and Eisbaer (also probably from Thermaltake and Cooler Master).

whats an AIO?

3 minutes ago, JohnDoe94 said:

whats an AIO?

All in one watercooling solution, another name - CLC, closed loop cooling. I.e prebuild watercooling piece, just slap waterblock on the CPU, screw in radiator on the chassis and you're set, it's designed as install and forget solution, non maintainable by design. In contrast with custom loop which you need to build yourself from scratch and which is generally bought piece by piece, all these tubes, fittings, cold plates, pump, coolant and reservoir, there are some kits tho.