Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Brok3n But who cares?

Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 6XX Headphones

Posted (edited) · Original PosterOP

Hey- I'm thinking about purchasing the HD 6XX headphones, and Am wondering if it's worth it (I'll be in a quiet still enviornment, I have ANC headphones for noise travel/ on the go) I feel like this has alot of good reveiws, and is a hd 650 without that huge price tag- Am I wrong? Also looking to see If I need an amp for it- I'll be using and lg gram 15' for the headphones power source. 

Thanks!

Edited by InnerBeast Gaming
Forgot an o ._.

When I ask for more specs, don't expect me to know the answer!
I'm just helping YOU to help YOURSELF!
(The more info you give the easier it is for others to help you out!)

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Motherboard Tier LIst

PC Troubleshooting

You don't need a big PSU

PSU Tier List

Build: Craptastic Intel i7-4785T, 12gb of Laptop 1333 mhz ddr3 Ram, and HD 4000 Graphics. 

They should sound like the 650 but from what I've read the build quality is not as good but decent enough. 

From what I know the HD6XX are basically just the HD 650 except the HD6XX has a few QoL things out of the box for the average users like a shorter cable. I don't think an amp is necessary for the HD6XX but it will definitely help, and would be good to pick up for the future IMO. Another very good, inexpensive open headphone is the Hifiman HE4XX. Can definitely hang with the HD6XX, and some say it's even better. It's currently $130 on Drop, but you pretty much need an amp to make them sound any good. 

8 minutes ago, InnerBeast Gaming said:

Hey- I'm thinking about purchasing the HD 6XX headphones, and Am wondering if it's worth it (I'll be in a quiet still enviornment, I have ANC headphones for noise travel/ on the go) I feel like this has alot of good reveiws, and is a hd 650 without that huge price tag- Am I wrong? Also looking to see If I need an amp for it- I'll be using and lg gram 15' for the headphones power source. 

Thanks!

I have a pair, and I have to say with a tube amp, man o man, they are possibly end game headphones. With a normal amp... they are "good"? I have become a bit spoiled with headphones, but when I first got them I did enjoy them a lot. The tube amp really brought them back into viable for me (my fostex really outshine them to my ears), but I also used them in a 4 thousand dollar tube amp with a Schitt bifrost 2 Dac, and I have to say, they are beyond incredible. The potential in 6xx's is other worldly, especially for 200 bucks. That said, without a really good amp to drive them, they are not "other worldly", they are just "really solid".

With that, they can be an amazing option if you want to start dabling into amps and dacs, they can scale with literally whatever you buy in the future. I used them on my buddies amp/dac as stated before, next to his 800s's, Fostex (he has same ones I do in my sig), 6xx, 650, 700, ZMF Eikons (my favorite headphone of them all), some really nice Sony's I forget the name of... Basically, point here is, on that amazing amp/dac setup, I think I would go Eikon's as my favorite, and the 6xx's were likely my second favorite. 

Hope this helps...

Rig: i9 9900k @ 5Ghz - - Z390 Auros Elite  - - EVGA RTX 2080 XC Ultra @ 2025Mhz - - 4x8GB Vengeance Pro 3000Mhz @ 3600MHz - - Samsung 950 Pro 512 NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Samsung 830 Pro 256 RAID 0 Lightroom + Photo work - - WD Blue 1 TB SSD for Games - - Corsair RM650i - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - EK Supremacy Evo - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK Full Cover GPU Block - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - Steel Series QcK XXL

Headphones/amp/dac: Schiit Lyr 3 - - Fostex TR-X00 - - Sennheiser HD 6xx

Homelab/ Media Server: ESXi 6.5 - - 250 GB SSD for VM's/ESXi boot - - FreeNAS 11.3-U2 - - HPE Proliant ML10 Gen 9 backbone - - i3 6100 - - 28 GB ECC - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander

White Lightning (original full watercooled build) - Homelab / Media Server - The Blue Beast (my car and other expensive hobby...) - iPhone Xs - 2018 MacBook Air

They are a good first venture into open backs. They need a decent amp though. I personally am not a fan of them unless on a tube amp but I generally don't reccomend tube amps for people that don't have solid-state amps yet. If you want to use your lg gram I would much reccomend you get the 58x I stead it's very efficient easy to drive. Imo the better headphone out of the 2 due to much better imaging and slightly wider soundstage. 

***FEEL FREE TO DM ME QUESTIONS ABOUT MY GEAR IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS OR JUST CURIOUS***

CPU : ryzen 3600x  Motherboard: msi mag b550 tomahawk RAM:16 GB ddr4 corsair lpx GPU: gtx 1070 6gb Case:phanteks p400 

Storage:x1 280 gb kingston ssd x1 1tb WD blue hdd x1 2tb seagate barraccuda 

PSU:650 GQ Cooling:be quite! BK009 Keyboard:ducky one 2 rgb full sized Mouse:G502, Model o Operating System:win 10

Desktop audio gear: topping d10 --->  monolith Cavelli Liquid Spark---> Beyerdynamic dt 990 , Sennheiser Hd 58x, Hifiman HE4xx, AKG k240, AKG k52

Speaker Setup: Topping PA3--->Micca RB42

My portable setup: fiio Q1 mk2, fiio ubtr, fiio btr1k,fiio btr5---> whatever bud or IEM Im feeling that day

AKG y50bt,Sennheiser HD 4.40

For HD6xx i’d recommend getting an amp although i won’t recommend spending a lot on it.

At that price range, you could also get K7xx or DT880. They are all on the same level and whichever is better depends on your preference

Posted · Original PosterOP

Hm should I get something by drop (like a o2 amp) or a different amp?

When I ask for more specs, don't expect me to know the answer!
I'm just helping YOU to help YOURSELF!
(The more info you give the easier it is for others to help you out!)

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Motherboard Tier LIst

PC Troubleshooting

You don't need a big PSU

PSU Tier List

Build: Craptastic Intel i7-4785T, 12gb of Laptop 1333 mhz ddr3 Ram, and HD 4000 Graphics. 

I personally don't find them needing of more volume past normal consumer devices. They're plenty sensitive even for a cell phone or Xbox controller. If you're into blasting orchestral music or soft jazz I could see the desire for extra amplification occasionally.

I love the HD650 without a tube amp. Tubes will introduce harmonics which some people may prefer, but that doesn't equate to necessity for everyone..

2 hours ago, InnerBeast Gaming said:

Hm should I get something by drop (like a o2 amp) or a different amp?

I would go for a JD's labs atom, a schiit heresy, or a monoprice liquid spark personally. 

***FEEL FREE TO DM ME QUESTIONS ABOUT MY GEAR IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS OR JUST CURIOUS***

CPU : ryzen 3600x  Motherboard: msi mag b550 tomahawk RAM:16 GB ddr4 corsair lpx GPU: gtx 1070 6gb Case:phanteks p400 

Storage:x1 280 gb kingston ssd x1 1tb WD blue hdd x1 2tb seagate barraccuda 

PSU:650 GQ Cooling:be quite! BK009 Keyboard:ducky one 2 rgb full sized Mouse:G502, Model o Operating System:win 10

Desktop audio gear: topping d10 --->  monolith Cavelli Liquid Spark---> Beyerdynamic dt 990 , Sennheiser Hd 58x, Hifiman HE4xx, AKG k240, AKG k52

Speaker Setup: Topping PA3--->Micca RB42

My portable setup: fiio Q1 mk2, fiio ubtr, fiio btr1k,fiio btr5---> whatever bud or IEM Im feeling that day

AKG y50bt,Sennheiser HD 4.40