Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 6XX Headphones

Entropy.

Hey- I'm thinking about purchasing the HD 6XX headphones, and Am wondering if it's worth it (I'll be in a quiet still enviornment, I have ANC headphones for noise travel/ on the go) I feel like this has alot of good reveiws, and is a hd 650 without that huge price tag- Am I wrong? Also looking to see If I need an amp for it- I'll be using and lg gram 15' for the headphones power source. 

Thanks!

Edited by InnerBeast Gaming
Forgot an o ._.
I am NOT a professional and a lot of the time what I'm saying is based on limited knowledge and experience. I'm going to be incorrect at times. 

Motherboard Tier List                   How many watts do I need?
Best B550 Motherboards             Best Intel Z490 Motherboards

PC Troubleshooting                      You don't need a big PSU

PSU Tier List                                Common pc building mistakes 
PC BUILD Guide! (POV)              How to Overclock your CPU 

They should sound like the 650 but from what I've read the build quality is not as good but decent enough. 

From what I know the HD6XX are basically just the HD 650 except the HD6XX has a few QoL things out of the box for the average users like a shorter cable. I don't think an amp is necessary for the HD6XX but it will definitely help, and would be good to pick up for the future IMO. Another very good, inexpensive open headphone is the Hifiman HE4XX. Can definitely hang with the HD6XX, and some say it's even better. It's currently $130 on Drop, but you pretty much need an amp to make them sound any good. 

8 minutes ago, InnerBeast Gaming said:

Hey- I'm thinking about purchasing the HD 6XX headphones, and Am wondering if it's worth it (I'll be in a quiet still enviornment, I have ANC headphones for noise travel/ on the go) I feel like this has alot of good reveiws, and is a hd 650 without that huge price tag- Am I wrong? Also looking to see If I need an amp for it- I'll be using and lg gram 15' for the headphones power source. 

Thanks!

I have a pair, and I have to say with a tube amp, man o man, they are possibly end game headphones. With a normal amp... they are "good"? I have become a bit spoiled with headphones, but when I first got them I did enjoy them a lot. The tube amp really brought them back into viable for me (my fostex really outshine them to my ears), but I also used them in a 4 thousand dollar tube amp with a Schitt bifrost 2 Dac, and I have to say, they are beyond incredible. The potential in 6xx's is other worldly, especially for 200 bucks. That said, without a really good amp to drive them, they are not "other worldly", they are just "really solid".

With that, they can be an amazing option if you want to start dabling into amps and dacs, they can scale with literally whatever you buy in the future. I used them on my buddies amp/dac as stated before, next to his 800s's, Fostex (he has same ones I do in my sig), 6xx, 650, 700, ZMF Eikons (my favorite headphone of them all), some really nice Sony's I forget the name of... Basically, point here is, on that amazing amp/dac setup, I think I would go Eikon's as my favorite, and the 6xx's were likely my second favorite. 

Hope this helps...

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Headphones/amp/dac: Schiit Lyr 3 - - Fostex TR-X00 - - Sennheiser HD 6xx

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

iPhone 14 Pro - 2018 MacBook Air

They are a good first venture into open backs. They need a decent amp though. I personally am not a fan of them unless on a tube amp but I generally don't reccomend tube amps for people that don't have solid-state amps yet. If you want to use your lg gram I would much reccomend you get the 58x I stead it's very efficient easy to drive. Imo the better headphone out of the 2 due to much better imaging and slightly wider soundstage. 

For HD6xx i’d recommend getting an amp although i won’t recommend spending a lot on it.

At that price range, you could also get K7xx or DT880. They are all on the same level and whichever is better depends on your preference

Hm should I get something by drop (like a o2 amp) or a different amp?

I am NOT a professional and a lot of the time what I'm saying is based on limited knowledge and experience. I'm going to be incorrect at times. 

Motherboard Tier List                   How many watts do I need?
Best B550 Motherboards             Best Intel Z490 Motherboards

PC Troubleshooting                      You don't need a big PSU

PSU Tier List                                Common pc building mistakes 
PC BUILD Guide! (POV)              How to Overclock your CPU 

I personally don't find them needing of more volume past normal consumer devices. They're plenty sensitive even for a cell phone or Xbox controller. If you're into blasting orchestral music or soft jazz I could see the desire for extra amplification occasionally.

I love the HD650 without a tube amp. Tubes will introduce harmonics which some people may prefer, but that doesn't equate to necessity for everyone..

2 hours ago, InnerBeast Gaming said:

Hm should I get something by drop (like a o2 amp) or a different amp?

I would go for a JD's labs atom, a schiit heresy, or a monoprice liquid spark personally.