Okay to get cheap GPU for 3D application stuff?

Koka458

Just yesterday my GPU died, a GTX 760. I can confirm cuz there is artifacting and windows is not recognizing it.

I haven't upgraded my PC since 2014, I just can't.

Currently it's back to GT 610 (oof)

I'm learning VFX production stuff and it can't even handle the viewport of Maya and Substance Painter (3D apps)(15-30 FPS).

It's the last year of my course so don't want anything sort of high-end-ish like a 1050 Ti. Because there is a high chance I'll be moving soon.

So just for this year, will a GT 1030 be able to handle 3D stuff? I've seen people play Far Cry 5 with it, runs exactly like my 760 did.

And no, I'll not be rendering with it. Just enough to handle the viewport.

11 minutes ago, Koka458 said:

Just yesterday my GPU died, a GTX 760. I can confirm cuz there is artifacting and windows is not recognizing it.

I haven't upgraded my PC since 2014, I just can't.

Currently it's back to GT 610 (oof)

I'm learning VFX production stuff and it can't even handle the viewport of Maya and Substance Painter (3D apps)(15-30 FPS).

It's the last year of my course so don't want anything sort of high-end-ish like a 1050 Ti. Because there is a high chance I'll be moving soon.

So just for this year, will a GT 1030 be able to handle 3D stuff? I've seen people play Far Cry 5 with it, runs exactly like my 760 did.

And no, I'll not be rendering with it. Just enough to handle the viewport.

Just make sure you have at least a quad core processor with a 3.3Ghz clock speed. You will be totally fine using a GTX650.

1 minute ago, Lucas_k said:

Just make sure you have at least a quad core processor with a 3.3Ghz clock speed. You will be totally fine using a GTX650.

I'm good on the processor side but a GTX 650 can't do 3D. The CUDA version is old. I can confirm.

And I can get that in 2020?

2 minutes ago, Koka458 said:

I'm good on the processor side but a GTX 650 can't do 3D. The CUDA version is old. I can confirm.

And I can get that in 2020?

If you really want to do 3D stuff I'm afraid you need at least a $100+ card tho. You can go cheaper but the risk of breaking it again is there.

1 minute ago, Lucas_k said:

If you really want to do 3D stuff I'm afraid you need at least a $100+ card tho. You can go cheaper but the risk of breaking it again is there.

I'm doing fine with my GT 610 only problem is that it's slow.

I won't be rendering with GPU only navigation and viewport

It's only for less than a year.

Any opinions on GT 1030?

2 minutes ago, Koka458 said:

I'm doing fine with my GT 610 only problem is that it's slow.

I won't be rendering with GPU only navigation and viewport

It's only for less than a year.

Any opinions on GT 1030?

A gt1030 will do a good job for you, and also how much ram is in your system?

Just now, Lucas_k said:

A gt1030 will do a good job for you, and also how much ram is in your system?

8 Gb DDR3. Getting more is pointless. I'd get a new laptop but no budget currently.

Did fine for last 2 years with VFX stuff. I don't see how that could cause a problem.

Just now, Koka458 said:

8 Gb DDR3. Getting more is pointless. I'd get a new laptop but no budget currently.

Did fine for last 2 years with VFX stuff. I don't see how that could cause a problem.

I read online that ram does effect the processing speed for 3d stuff doe. And also if you're into gaming a 1050ti is worth it.

2 minutes ago, Lucas_k said:

I read online that ram does effect the processing speed for 3d stuff doe. And also if you're into gaming a 1050ti is worth it.

Personally, I do want the 1050 Ti but I'll be just leaving it behind after.

Will make a good PC after college so...just anything for my last year.

1 minute ago, Koka458 said:

Personally, I do want the 1050 Ti but I'll be just leaving it behind after.

Will make a good PC after college so...just anything for my last year.

If you are only gonna build a good pc after college then I should wait, prices are gonna drop when the Nvidea's 3000 series are coming out (june 2020). I suggest to get at least a GTX 1660.

3 minutes ago, Lucas_k said:

If you are only gonna build a good pc after college then I should wait, prices are gonna drop when the Nvidea's 3000 series are coming out (june 2020). I suggest to get at least a GTX 1660.

How do I explain my situation here....I can't work on projects for 5 months with a GT 610.

New PC will come only after college(next year).

26 minutes ago, Koka458 said:

How do I explain my situation here....I can't work on projects for 5 months with a GT 610.

New PC will come only after college(next year).

Even though people don't seem to like it here, you could always try https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/. The site says GTX 760 is 112% faster than GT 1030. That should give you a hint to how the cards compare. So it might not be as fast as your previous card. If you're going to upgrade anyway soon and still need some computing power it does get a little bit tougher. I would probably go with the 1050ti as you mentioned in your OP. Seems to be back to back with your previous card, according to userbenchmarks. If you don't want to risk it being too slow.