Gtx 980 ti or RX 590 ???

tophercrunch
Go to solution Solved by tophercrunch,

Ended up getting the Zotac GTX 1070 Amp Extreme edition. It is night and day from my Msi GTX 670. Thanks for all the help everyone !

8 minutes ago, tophercrunch said:

Which would be the better to get ? I feel they both have advantages and disadvantages.

If they're the same price then go with the 980 Ti, depends how much you're paying though, a GTX 1660 Super is just as good as a 980 Ti and consumes a lot less power.

Quote or Tag people so they know that you've replied.

1 minute ago, _Syn_ said:

If they're the same price then go with the 980 Ti, depends how much you're paying though, a GTX 1660 Super is just as good as a 980 Ti and consumes a lot less power.

but with older cpu  i7 3770k ?

11 minutes ago, tophercrunch said:

Which would be the better to get ? I feel they both have advantages and disadvantages.

The only advantage the RX 590 has is it has 8GB of video memory vs. 6gb on the 980ti...other than that the 980ti is flatout better across the board.

it's a GPU that is a lot more powerful.

https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-GTX-980-Ti-vs-AMD-RX-590/3439vs4033

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

2 minutes ago, tophercrunch said:

but with older cpu  i7 3770k ?

Doesn't matter if it's an older CPU, they both perform very similar (1660S and 980Ti)

18 minutes ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

The only advantage the RX 590 has is it has 8GB of video memory vs. 6gb on the 980ti...other than that the 980ti is flatout better across the board.

it's a GPU that is a lot more powerful.

https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-GTX-980-Ti-vs-AMD-RX-590/3439vs4033

I know I saw the benchmark. Thanks though.

16 minutes ago, _Syn_ said:

Doesn't matter if it's an older CPU, they both perform very similar (1660S and 980Ti)

Yeah I figured, but wasn't 100% sure

23 minutes ago, _Syn_ said:

It looks like the 1660 ti is closer to the 980 ti

2 minutes ago, tophercrunch said:

It's not worth it to get the 1660 Ti, NVIDIA killed that card when they released the 1660 Super, the 1660 Ti is only 2% faster while costing 40$ more.

1 minute ago, _Syn_ said:

It's not worth it to get the 1660 Ti, NVIDIA killed that card when they released the 1660 Super, the 1660 Ti is only 2% faster while costing 40$ more.

oh ok

44 minutes ago, tophercrunch said:

The 1660 Ti makes absolutely no sense whatsoever today at $280 when you can get 98% of the 1660 Ti's performance for $230 in the 1660 Super or 20% more performance plus RT and DLSS for $300 in the RTX 2060. 1660 Ti is the single most pointless card on the market today.

relative-performance_2560-1440.png

11 minutes ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

Hell you can also get the RX 5700 for $300 for 30% more performance than the 1660 Ti if you don't mind having to run the fans high on the XFX DD card (the cooler is pretty shit on this card, but it's still a 5700).

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07XVMXBQW

I think the cpu is going to bottleneck the gpu from running at its full potential, so i wouldn't be reaping any benefit from getting a higher powered card. I don't know, the one positive would be future proof gpu for a future build with newer parts.

Yeah 3770k will be a bottleneck, especially if going for high framerate gaming, but if you're looking to spend 1660 Ti money it would be insane to not to go 2060 or 5700 for $20 more. Especially if you plan a platform upgrade in the near future. You're going to have some games that cpu is really going to bottleneck you, such as Assassins Creed Odyssey. You'll be a little bottlenecked in games like Control and Red Dead Redemption 2 most likely. Though for the most part, I think since you have an i7 and the extra threads vs an i5 that you might be able to hang on for the most part until holiday 2021. The reason I think so is because holiday 2020 is where we get the new 8C/16T consoles that will set a new baseline, but that first year in a new console generation always seems to be games written for the previous gen with little touch-ups like better textures and higher resolution. So I don't expect you're going to see many games truly optimized for the 8C/16T Ryzen chips until holiday 2021.

Also I wouldn't bet on any gpu you buy today being very future proof. They never are right before a new console. With credible rumors of PS5 having an RX 5700 XT level gpu plus some form of hardware raytracing I'd guess you're looking no lower than RTX 2070 Super if you want something that can edge out the next gen consoles. That combined with the sky high prices of the last year and a half make buying a gpu fucking suck today. Especially if we're only four months out from Nvidia 7nm. Though don't expect anything lower than RTXxx60 series if Nvidia does a 7nm release this year, as they always release upper midrange shit first. And we don't even know if there will be 7nm Nvidia gaming cards, Nvidia could only make 7nm cards for HPC like with Volta that never had a gaming card other than a Titan.

5 minutes ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

Yeah 3770k will be a bottleneck, especially if going for high framerate gaming, but if you're looking to spend 1660 Ti money it would be insane to not to go 2060 or 5700 for $20 more. Especially if you plan a platform upgrade in the near future. You're going to have some games that cpu is really going to bottleneck you, such as Assassins Creed Odyssey. You'll be a little bottlenecked in games like Control and Red Dead Redemption 2 most likely. Though for the most part, I think since you have an i7 and the extra threads vs an i5 that you might be able to hang on for the most part until holiday 2021. The reason I think so is because holiday 2020 is where we get the new 8C/16T consoles that will set a new baseline, but that first year in a new console generation always seems to be games written for the previous gen with little touch-ups like better textures and higher resolution. So I don't expect you're going to see many games truly optimized for the 8C/16T Ryzen chips until holiday 2021.

yeah

Well, I should say high end cards can age well. For instance, in this console gen the GTX 780 Ti, R9 290, and R9 290x which all released in 2H 2013 aged pretty over the current console gen that began in late 2013. But those were king of the hill (or near) cards for the time. We're talking the 2013 equivalent of RTX 2080 Ti and RTX 2080 Super. But this was also a console gen with extremely weak hardware (PS4 launched with the equivalent of a $120 HD 7850). That doesn't appear to be the case for the next console gen.

26 minutes ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

Also I wouldn't bet on any gpu you buy today being very future proof. They never are right before a new console. With credible rumors of PS5 having an RX 5700 XT level gpu plus some form of hardware raytracing I'd guess you're looking no lower than RTX 2070 Super if you want something that can edge out the next gen consoles. That combined with the sky high prices of the last year and a half make buying a gpu fucking suck today. Especially if we're only four months out from Nvidia 7nm. Though don't expect anything lower than RTXxx60 series if Nvidia does a 7nm release this year, as they always release upper midrange shit first. And we don't even know if there will be 7nm Nvidia gaming cards, Nvidia could only make 7nm cards for HPC like with Volta that never had a gaming card other than a Titan.

While this is true, I think it's important to keep in mind that the new consoles will be targeting 4K as the output resolution (I know they may not actually use that as the render resolution, but that will be the output resolution). So you may not need quite as much GPU to keep up on PC if you're targeting 1080p/1440p.

Ryzen 5 5600 :: Gigabyte RTX 2070 Super Gaming OC :: MSI B550-VC :: WD SN750 :: NH-D15 :: 32GB DDR4-3200 :: Phanteks Enthoo Pro M TG

3 minutes ago, Satan_Prometheus said:

While this is true, I think it's important to keep in mind that the new consoles will be targeting 4K as the output resolution (I know they may not actually use that as the render resolution, but that will be the output resolution). So you may not need quite as much GPU to keep up on PC if you're targeting 1080p/1440p.

agreed, planned on 1080p

31 minutes ago, Satan_Prometheus said:

True. And I'd expect most console games this gen are going to be rendered at 1800p (early on) or 1440p (later on) if the consoles are targeting 60 fps with a 5700 XT level gpu. On a side note, I'll be very pissed if the games still target 30 fps, since if that's the case what's point of an expensive Ryzen 8C/16T cpu?

I'm really hoping dynamic resolution starts getting wider adoption on PC as a way to extend gpu life. I loved the dynamic resolution in Nioh on PS4, which allowed me to play it at a mostly 60 fps even though I had the scrub version of the console.

20 minutes ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

On a side note, I'll be very pissed if the games still target 30 fps, since if that's the case what's point of an expensive Ryzen 8C/16T cpu?

I totally understand this viewpoint, but I also kinda hope that there will be games that are able to figure out how to use the extra processing power to actually come up with new and interesting mechanics and gameplay, AI improvements, etc.

I realize that this is easier said than done tho

Ryzen 5 5600 :: Gigabyte RTX 2070 Super Gaming OC :: MSI B550-VC :: WD SN750 :: NH-D15 :: 32GB DDR4-3200 :: Phanteks Enthoo Pro M TG

2 minutes ago, Satan_Prometheus said:

I totally understand this viewpoint, but I also kinda hope that there will be games that are able to figure out how to use the extra processing power to actually come up with new and interesting mechanics and gameplay, AI improvements, etc.

i know, but like you said easier said than done

18 minutes ago, Satan_Prometheus said:

I'll be pissed if it's 30 fps. Ubisoft put a ton of NPCs and AI into AC Unity in late 2014 and that could still keep above 60 fps on a stock 2500k if you weren't gpu limited. If they're going to target 30 fps with this console I would rather just have a crap Jaguar successor and have the thing cost $400 instead of $500.

• 5 weeks later...

Ended up getting the Zotac GTX 1070 Amp Extreme edition. It is night and day from my Msi GTX 670. Thanks for all the help everyone !