Is the forum coin mining my computer?

TrantaLocked

I never EVER have CPU usage issues with websites. Even really bad ones. But using this forum, I'm getting up to 50% usage on a high end i7, and a loud fan! I never hear my fan just browsing the web.

Then why is it so slow? The letters are lagging as I type them in. My browser hangs with it open.

1 minute ago, TrantaLocked said:

Then why is it so slow? The letters are lagging as I type them in. My browser hangs with it open.

The issue is coming from your computer, not the forum.

No.

Are you using Chrome? Click on the 'hamburger menu' on the top right, More Tools > Task Manager and click on the CPU column twice to see the highest CPU usage tab on the top. That way you can see what is going on.

This forum for me uses between 0 and 10 % CPU. My GPU is doing nothing at all.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

"a slow website does not instantly mean it's bitcoin mining your system""

Yeah that's why i asked the question to see if anyone else ever had similar experiences. Doesn't mean I was dead set on any conclusion, it's just what I made the topic title. I could've made it anything. And i asked why is it so slow for the sake of the conversation to get answers not because I was defending it necessarily being mining. You're extremely annoying.

It's like when someone says "dude you're so hyped right now how many energy drinks did you have?" That question doesn't mean they believe the only reason their buddy is hyped is from energy drinks, it's just to spark the convo. It could have nothing to do with energy drinks and it's still ok to ask the question.

I'm leaning more towards some sort of anomaly that won't repeat. I never see that kind of activity and I don't visit this forum often. I've used other forums where the text editor can cause hangs but not sure exactly what happened here.

* thread cleaned *

If you're unwilling to help, then don't reply.

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

Have you checked your extensions? Maybe you have an infected system, no random adverts or default search engine change recently?

12 minutes ago, RageTester said:

Have you checked your extensions? Maybe you have an infected system, no random adverts or default search engine change recently?

Can PDFs infect your system? I've been browsing laptop screen models and checked some part sheets. Otherwise my browsing is always quite kosher. I also had a good amount of tabs open but I do that all the time and this system handles everything like a champ. I'm sure I could run 100 tabs and as long as there isn't a memory leak or bug/hang it will feel as fast as it does with nothing open. Extensions have been the same for a while but I do run an adblocker.

That 50%+ CPU usage on my i7-5775c (@4.2GHz) was happening for like 2-3 minutes and during the time tab switching was taking seconds and as I was editing one of my posts I was getting hard lag on character typing. Like I mentioned earlier, text editor lag is something I've seen unfortunately too often online, but it's still relatively rare.

In Windows task manager I'd see brief moments of "System" running at high CPU usage but for most of the time it was happening I couldn't see the source of the usage, like the process was hidden but was still adding to the total. Chrome usage was higher than it should have been but it wasn't adding up. I mean, usage up to 50-60% on CPUs like this is not normal for non gaming/pro applications. Chrome didn't show a particular tab eating up resources but chromes task manager isn't reliable for troubleshooting tabs in my experience.

ATM I think it was just a rare browser hang considering that it stopped. Unless..LTT does mining in chunks and then stops so users don't expect anything.

-> Moved to Troubleshooting

Trust me, if forum was the issue, it would be more widely known. It might be browser addon or Javascript on another tab causing issues. Or Javascript on forums too.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Might not be browser related at all then, if you say you can't see the source, it could be windows system itself, collecting data, preparing updates, indexing files...

It was strange that it would cause the browser to hang because I can do things like gaming at high CPU usages and chrome still works fine. I didn't see any windows updates ran.

But yeah I've known Windows to be really bad with CPU usage for certain tasks that shouldn't warrant it. I'm actually afraid to run a full system Security scan because it's one of the rare things, among P95 and other stress tests, that will lock or BSOD this otherwise stable overclock. Not sure if the security scan CPU usage thing is a bug on my system or intended but it's really scary. I'm also thinking chrome bugged the system and the system was trying to handle it and the hang led to high CPU usage. I'll run memtest86 to make sure.