Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
jason938

WIFI and Mobile Data

13 hours ago, jason938 said:

Can anyone explain me how they work together? Personally, when I'm at home, I activate WIFI and disable Mobile Data and when I'm heading outside, I disable wifi and enable mobile data, but for my mom this procedure will be too much and I was thinking to enable them both for her. What I'm wondering - will she have Internet all the time? How they work together? If she comes home and they are both activated home will give priority to WIFI and it will use it instead of mobile data even if it's enabled? Or it will still use Mobile data or...?

Keep both enabled and it'll switch to WiFi when available and use mobile data in all other cases. Not sure on iPhone but on Android go into the network settings (as a precaution) and disable WiFi scanning and, if it's an option, disable to automatically connect to open hotspots. That way only the trusted ones will be connected. Battery drain is negligible, honestly, when both are enabled unless your battery is terrible to begin with. She'll have Internet all the time, assuming she has a data plan, when using either WiFi or the mobile network.

Posted · Original PosterOP

Can anyone explain me how they work together? Personally, when I'm at home, I activate WIFI and disable Mobile Data and when I'm heading outside, I disable wifi and enable mobile data, but for my mom this procedure will be too much and I was thinking to enable them both for her. What I'm wondering - will she have Internet all the time? How they work together? If she comes home and they are both activated home will give priority to WIFI and it will use it instead of mobile data even if it's enabled? Or it will still use Mobile data or...?

I can only tell for iPhones but I suspect/suppose they work the same on Android:
The phone automatically switches from cellular to wifi, as soon as it is connected to one and will therefore not use your valuable data, it will also switch back to cellular once you have disconnected from wifi...

19 minutes ago, jason938 said:

will she have Internet all the time? How they work together? If she comes home and they are both activated home will give priority to WIFI and it will use it instead of mobile data even if it's enabled? Or it will still use Mobile data or...?

Yes. Yes it will choose Wifi over mobile data, always. The phone will use more power when Wifi is enabled all the time, but who cares, she dosen't close her apps either lol.

CPU: Intel i7 9700K@5.3GHz SC/DC, 5.1GHz QC, 5.0Ghz All core, AVX offset 0| Motherboard: Asus Maximus XI Hero | RAM: Patriot Viper Steel 2x8gb@3600Mhz 14-14-14-29, 1N, 1.45V| 

PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 G3 | Mon: Samsung C27HG70 27" 144Hz Freesync - G-Sync compatible(ish) | GPU: EVGA 1080ti SC Black Edition w/ G12 bracket | Sound: Odac + Fiio E09K | 

Case: Fractal Design R6 TG Blackout | Storage: Corsair MP510 960gb | Cooling: CPU: Kraken X62 - GPU: Kraken X42 - both with Noctua NF-A14's |

Ryzen rig for LAN/Backup

Posted · Original PosterOP
20 minutes ago, Mephi00 said:

I can only tell for iPhones but I suspect/suppose they work the same on Android:
The phone automatically switches from cellular to wifi, as soon as it is connected to one and will therefore not use your valuable data, it will also switch back to cellular once you have disconnected from wifi...

And on screen they will be both enable, but only WIFI will work when being in WIFI range, right?

9 minutes ago, jason938 said:

And on screen they will be both enable, but only WIFI will work when being in WIFI range, right?

I think some phones have the option to use cellular while using wifi for faster download speeds, but it should be possible to disable that and then it works just like you said (at least in ios, but I doubt any basic android distro would treat it differently)

Phone will usually use wi-fi for internet if it's connected. If there is no internet access over wi-fi, it will remain connected and still rely on mobile data for internet.

Having both turned on will drain the battery faster as WiFi will just keep scanning for access points.

Keeping WiFi on while outside is very bad. Both the Google services on your phone and public WiFi access points are constantly monitoring for each other to trace the phone's location. As a result a lot of ads shown on the device will be adjusted to tempt the user into buying stuff that is in their immediate vicinity. Remember to also turn off WiFi scanning because otherwise your WiFi is still being used to trace you even when you turn it off.

Awareness is key. Never enough, even in the face of futility. Speak the truth as if you may never get to say it again. This world is full of ugly. Change it they say. The only way is to reveal the ugly. To change the truth you must first acknowledge it. Never pretend it isn't there. Never bend the knee.

Please quote my post in your reply, so that I will be notified and can respond to it. Thanks.

23 minutes ago, huilun02 said:

Phone will usually use wi-fi for internet if it's connected. If there is no internet access over wi-fi, it will remain connected and still rely on mobile data for internet.

Having both turned on will drain the battery faster as WiFi will just keep scanning for access points.

Keeping WiFi on while outside is very bad. Both the Google services on your phone and public WiFi access points are constantly monitoring for each other to trace the phone's location. As a result a lot of ads shown on the device will be adjusted to tempt the user into buying stuff that is in their immediate vicinity. Remember to also turn off WiFi scanning because otherwise your WiFi is still being used to trace you even when you turn it off.

I agree with what you're saying. But, at the same time, trying to explain this stuff to non-techies is almost laughable... they don't care. The OPs mom just wants it to switch connections when needed to give her internet access 24/7.

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you, I may not see your post otherwise.

Spoiler
  • PCs:-
  • AM4 1700 build https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/paddy.stone/saved/XyXyXL
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • Main Server - ASrock AB350M Pro 4 - AMD Athlon 200GE - 16GB DDR4 2133Mhz RAM - 240GB Crucial M500 SSD Boot Drive, running Windows 10, plex server - 4x 4TB Seagate Ironwolf HDDs.
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocaphone F1 128GB 6GB RAM
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4
  • Lenovo k3 note
  • Windows tablet
  •  
  • Unused Hardware currently :-
  •  
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo - Thermaltake Core V21-  EVGA Supernova G2 650W Gold PSU
  • AMD phenom II 1055t / 8GB RAM / DVD writer
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition x2
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini
  • Nvidia Shield K1 tablet

Posted · Best Answer
13 hours ago, jason938 said:

Keep both enabled and it'll switch to WiFi when available and use mobile data in all other cases. Not sure on iPhone but on Android go into the network settings (as a precaution) and disable WiFi scanning and, if it's an option, disable to automatically connect to open hotspots. That way only the trusted ones will be connected. Battery drain is negligible, honestly, when both are enabled unless your battery is terrible to begin with. She'll have Internet all the time, assuming she has a data plan, when using either WiFi or the mobile network.

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790k | RAM: Crucial 16GB @ 1866MHz |

GPU: EVGA GTX 980Ti Hybrid | Motherboard: ASUS Maximus Formula VII | 

Monitor: ROG Swift P278Q | Case: Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ATX | PSU: Seasonic 860W