Blue screen of death after water cooling GPU

Musya

Hello everyone, i hope you can help me i have been very frustrated the past few months. I water cooled my system in december and since then i keep on getting blue screen of death while gaming high end titles. It crashes sometimes when browsing the web as well but vary rare. This has affected me a lot playing ranked games with my friends and it is very upsetting and frustrating after spending all this money on water cooling parts. 

The water cooling block i have is the one from corsair, i went on their website before purchasing to see if it was compatible with my gpu and it was.

The gpu its self stays cool, 50c-55c, as well is the cpu at 60c-65c under load. It might not be the gpu but im 99.99% sure it is. I checked event viewer and after the last blue screen it gave me this error 0x00000124 which is a hardware error according to google. Im guessing maybe my gpu ram might be over heating, other than that i have no idea. 

I re installed windows, fresh drivers, everything is running great and healthy computer. Can anyone give me ideas what it could be?

Computer specs:

i7 6700k @ 4.5 GHZ Overclocked

evga rtx 2080super

32gb ram @ 3200mhz

750w power supply evga

gigabyte ga-z170xp-sli mobo

The cpu and Gpu pass all the stress test and valley engine benchmark.

8 minutes ago, Musya said:

Hello everyone, i hope you can help me i have been very frustrated the past few months. I water cooled my system in december and since then i keep on getting blue screen of death while gaming high end titles. It crashes sometimes when browsing the web as well but vary rare. This has affected me a lot playing ranked games with my friends and it is very upsetting and frustrating after spending all this money on water cooling parts. 

The water cooling block i have is the one from corsair, i went on their website before purchasing to see if it was compatible with my gpu and it was.

The gpu its self stays cool, 50c, as well is the cpu at 50c under load. It might not be the gpu but im 99.99% sure it is. I checked event viewer and after the last blue screen it gave me this error 0x00000124 which is a hardware error according to google. Im guessing maybe my gpu ram might be over heating, other than that i have no idea. 

I re installed windows, fresh drivers, everything is running great and healthy computer. Can anyone give me ideas what it could be?

Computer specs:

i7 6700k @ 4.5 GHZ Overclocked

evga rtx 2080super

32gb ram @ 3200mhz

750w power supply evga

gigabyte ga-z170xp-sli mobo

The cpu and Gpu pass all the stress test and valley engine benchmark.

May want to take the water block off and make sure the thermal paste is spread evenly. GPU dies are very large, its possible some of it isn't covered and is actually overheating even though the location of the temp sensor is fine at 50c. Besides that, if the water block isn't making contact with the VRM section of the GPU that would be a huge issue, and as you said if the RAM thermal pads are not thick enough or the block isn't quite right (I doubt this, its least likely) the RAM would likely overheat.

I would check the GPU core itself and make sure the TIM spread well. 

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Headphones/amp/dac: Schiit Lyr 3 - - Fostex TR-X00 - - Sennheiser HD 6xx

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

iPhone 14 Pro - 2018 MacBook Air

6 minutes ago, LIGISTX said:

May want to take the water block off and make sure the thermal paste is spread evenly. GPU dies are very large, its possible some of it isn't covered and is actually overheating even though the location of the temp sensor is fine at 50c. Besides that, if the water block isn't making contact with the VRM section of the GPU that would be a huge issue, and as you said if the RAM thermal pads are not thick enough or the block isn't quite right (I doubt this, its least likely) the RAM would likely overheat.

I would check the GPU core itself and make sure the TIM spread well. 

Yes it is spread evenly i have checked already, the thermal pads seem quite thick on the corsair xg7 water block. Could this be an overclock issue, i hit BOOST CLOCK on the EVGA precision application that i downloaded to control the temps and clocks etc.

Also the EVGA precision application does not show my ram temp only GPU temp.

Question is whether thermal pads are covering all VRM's. Download HWmonitor, if your card has VRM sensors, you will see temps. Did you try running with lower OC on CPU??

5 hours ago, Envit0 said:

Question is whether thermal pads are covering all VRM's. Download HWmonitor, if your card has VRM sensors, you will see temps. Did you try running with lower OC on CPU??

Yes i7 6700k @ 4.0ghz which is stock the problem still exists.

Last night it happened again and gave me this error,

WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR

been searching it and it says could be faulty cpu now or mobo not giving enough juice to the cpu. Any thoughts?

51 minutes ago, Musya said:

Yes i7 6700k @ 4.0ghz which is stock the problem still exists.

Last night it happened again and gave me this error,

WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR

been searching it and it says could be faulty cpu now or mobo not giving enough juice to the cpu. Any thoughts?

Are you running full loop? And did you change any of the parts or just added water cooling and the crashes started happening? I would think that if you were running fine before watercooling and no parts were changed then it could only be to a damaged component or somthing like that.. Otherwise, if everything as was before water cooling, do not see what could be else (especially when OC is removed on GPU, RAM, CPU for testing).

16 hours ago, Musya said:

Yes it is spread evenly i have checked already, the thermal pads seem quite thick on the corsair xg7 water block. Could this be an overclock issue, i hit BOOST CLOCK on the EVGA precision application that i downloaded to control the temps and clocks etc.

Also the EVGA precision application does not show my ram temp only GPU temp.

If you are currently overclocked, at all, set everything to defaults. It’s hard to diagnose issues with things overclocked, it’s a lot easier when we know everything is working as intended... 

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Headphones/amp/dac: Schiit Lyr 3 - - Fostex TR-X00 - - Sennheiser HD 6xx

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

iPhone 14 Pro - 2018 MacBook Air