Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TechieTutu

Please help - PC programs lockup at random until PC freezes entirely.

Posted · Original PosterOP

This issue has been occurring for months on end now, but just recently started happening more frequently to where I can barely do anything I want. I can be gaming or doing something as simple as browsing the web or Discord until the individual program locks up, and each time I click a different program it will immediately lock up as well until my entire PC freezes altogether.

Most of the time, I'm still able to move the mouse around and and even hear audio whilst everything else is frozen on screen. Sometimes if I wait long enough it will crash to BSOD with the "SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION" error; however, most of the time I'm forced to manually shutdown via the power button.

I've done just about every public help method I could find online from command prompts like "sfc scannow" to every virus/malware scan and various registry edit tools. I'm now left to believe that it must be unique to my hardware or OS. Three days ago, I upgraded my BIOS and physically cleaned out my entire PC to which it had been working perfectly up until today, so I'm left with this as my last resort before spending money I don't have on repairs.

Here are my PC Specs:
Motherboard: ASROCK X99E-ITX/AC w/ WiFi, DUAL LAN
CPU: INTEL I7-5820K 3.3 GHZ
GPU: GIGABYTE NVIDIA GTX 1080 8GB
RAM: CORSAIR VENGEANCE 16 GB (x2)
PSU:  CORSAIR RM850W
System Type: 64-bit

Any help or information would be a lifesaver at this point! Let me know if there's any further info that I could add in order to help ?

1 hour ago, TechieTutu said:

Any help or information would be a lifesaver at this point! Let me know if there's any further info that I could add in order to help ?

Did you tried fresh windows installation?

@Whiro tag or quote will do the trick 
i5 3570K @ 4.7Ghz  |  AsRock Fatal1ty Z77 Performance  |  Corsair Vengeance 16GB (4x4) 1600MHz  |  ASUS Strix GTX 970 OC  |  Phanteks P400S TG  (mesh panel) |  EVGA 500W1  |  Storage: Corsair 60GB SSD (boot), Gigabyte 120GB SSD, WD 2Tb HDD | Cooling: Custom loop

EKWB EK-XRES 140 Revo D5 RGB PWM

EKWB EK Supremacy Evo , naked die

EKWB EK Thermosphere 

EKWB EK CoolStream PE 360

EKWB EK Coolstream SE 120

EKWB EK Vardar 120s  x6

EKWB EK STC Classic 10/16  x10

EKWB EK DuraClear Tubing 16/10

EKWB EK CryoFuel Acid Green

WHIRO

THE FIRST OF DEATH AND DARKNESS

He feast on the dead to inherit their power

5 minutes ago, Whiro said:

Did you tried fresh windows installation?

yup! Same issue still persists even after the fresh reinstall ?

2 minutes ago, TechieTutu said:

yup! Same issue still persists even after the fresh reinstall ?

Hmmm ok. What about temps? Did you check them?

i5 3570K @ 4.7Ghz  |  AsRock Fatal1ty Z77 Performance  |  Corsair Vengeance 16GB (4x4) 1600MHz  |  ASUS Strix GTX 970 OC  |  Phanteks P400S TG  (mesh panel) |  EVGA 500W1  |  Storage: Corsair 60GB SSD (boot), Gigabyte 120GB SSD, WD 2Tb HDD | Cooling: Custom loop

EKWB EK Thermosphere 

EKWB EK Vardar 120s  x6

WHIRO

Just now, Whiro said:

Hmmm ok. What about temps? Did you check them?

Not quite sure how to check temps tbh. I do have a ton of fans and liquid cooling installed as well.

7 minutes ago, TechieTutu said:

Not quite sure how to check temps tbh. I do have a ton of fans and liquid cooling installed as well.

Download HWinfo64, it’ll give you all temp readings. It may be the case that your aio is not working and cpu overheating but we can’t be sure until we know the temps. 

EKWB EK Thermosphere 

EKWB EK Vardar 120s  x6

WHIRO

15 minutes ago, Whiro said:

Download HWinfo64, it’ll give you all temp readings. It may be the case that your aio is not working and cpu overheating but we can’t be sure until we know the temps. 

Got it downloaded and running but I'm not exactly sure what I'm supposed to be looking for

17 minutes ago, TechieTutu said:

Got it downloaded and running but I'm not exactly sure what I'm supposed to be looking for

3019E997-59EB-4BFD-8B3D-BD1A1E39EC79.jpeg

EKWB EK Thermosphere 

EKWB EK Vardar 120s  x6

WHIRO

Open Command Prompt and run chkdsk  on your drive to identify, repair and fix bad sectors, if any, on your hard disk drive. (This could be the issue)

1. Log into Windows 10
  2. Press the Windows key to open the Start Menu
  3. Select Search
  4. Type-in cmd
  5. Right-click on Command Prompt from the search results list
    cmd
  6. Click Run as administrator
  7. Log in as an Administrator
  8. When Command Prompt launches, type the command:
    chkdsk C: /f /r /x

The parameters for this command are: /f option will attempt to fix any found errors /r option will locate for bad sectors and recovery any readable information /x option will force the volume you’re about to check to be dismounted before the utility begins a scan If the drive is in use, type Y to run a scan at your PC’s next restart. If so, exit Command Prompt and restart the computer.

@jjbeebe Done. Nothing came up after the searches but my PC has been running fine for the past few hours. Is there anything else I should check or just wait it out & see what happens?

Try to update the driver and/or firmware for the drive. I would also get the key for your copy of windows and get off any files you need just in case of complete failure. lazesoft windows key finder is good for this. Try to get any other licence to any other software etc.. off also, save all info to a password protected word document (or something else that requires a password).  This is preparing for the worst or if you need to replace parts after failure, reinstall etc... 

Use disk cleaner  (https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/delete-old-windows-update-files/, clean more than updates but same steps with checking a few more boxes) to delete old files before defrag  or trim on all drives. The last thing that might be helpful if your a little tech savvy is try to run a tool which will runs a series of tests to find the issue. Its quick and easy if you don't know how to do it yourself, Download link from provider site https://mega.nz/#!xWAjFRBS!rdcg5n05ZVu8OYSYVbLK9bv1OEKBnw0_BWnvlN9s5fo. All actions and results will be spit out in a folder on the desktop. 

Advisory: it does individual stress test on CPU, GPU etc... to look for faults, among other tests and actions   

Source: https://paul.is-a-geek.org/aio-srt/aio-srt-lite/