Dust filter hole size

PositiveRaisin2
8 minutes ago, PositiveRaisin2 said:

Are the holes too big to stop dust?

It will stop large particles but anything fine will make it through, I usually recommend really fine mesh filters like ones from Demicflex or silverstone if filtering is a high priority. 

Depends on how much air AND dust you want to let through. The smaller holes, the less air AND less dust you are able to pull through. Fine balance between the two. 

1 hour ago, PositiveRaisin2 said:

https://www.grainger.com/product/DAYTON-Air-Filter-4YD90 does this look ok if I tape it or something? Im on a tight budget

Foam is a good way to keep out dust, but it tends to be thick and a bit more restrictive than a mesh filter. As @W-L suggested, silverstone and Demciflex are generally your best bets for the best balance of both good dust filtration and good airflow. 

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

4 minutes ago, TVwazhere said:

Foam is a good way to keep out dust, but it tends to be thick and a bit more restrictive than a mesh filter. As @W-L suggested, silverstone and Demciflex are generally your best bets for the best balance of both good dust filtration and good airflow. 

Are there any cheaper options?

1 minute ago, PositiveRaisin2 said:

Cheaper options would likely either not offfer much better dust filtration, or hinder the front panel's ability to ppul in air. 

Whats your system specs?

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

1 minute ago, TVwazhere said:

Cheaper options would likely either not offfer much better dust filtration, or hinder the front panel's ability to ppul in air. 

Whats your system specs?

4770k with a 1070 

i got this case for about 50 https://www.microcenter.com/product/604789/205-tempered-glass-atx-computer-case---black

3 minutes ago, PositiveRaisin2 said:

Do you find yourself often cleaning the dust filter on the Lian Li 205? If not, then the P400A without the front filter should be fine. 

2 minutes ago, TVwazhere said:

Do you find yourself often cleaning the dust filter on the Lian Li 205? If not, then the P400A without the front filter should be fine. 

I just recently got the case. What is the p400s?

1 minute ago, PositiveRaisin2 said:

I just recently got the case. What is the p400s?

P400S is the "Silent" version of the P400, which just means they added some sound deadening foam. 

A fir Airflow

S for Silent 

(applies to all Phanteks cases)

Hole size isn't the only thing that determines airflow restriction. It's the material between the holes that contributes to the most air restriction. Round holes result in the most restriction. Square or hexagonal holes can offer least restriction, depending o how much material is between the holes.

One of the two most economical media one can use is media cut from a pleated paper furnace filter. That will require frequent cleaning and replacement because it it pretty restrictive to begin with and , because it is such an effective filter medium, it will clog up with dust sooner.

The other one is the mesh from women's sheer stockings (those are the most economical, especially if you can get them used) will work fairly well. Woven mesh is best because it can be stretched flat more than stretchier knit mesh without reducing the effectiveness of the filtration. Either, especially the knitted fabric, will require some lind of coarse mesh, such as really coarse window screening behind it to keep the pressure from the airflow from sucking the filter into the fan.

While foam can be an effective filter medium, it has more restrictions than many other medias from the word go and steadily gets worse over time because it is so difficult to thoroughly clean.

Jeannie

As long as anyone is oppressed, no one will be safe and free.

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!

2 hours ago, Lady Fitzgerald said:

Hole size isn't the only thing that determines airflow restriction. It's the material between the holes that contributes to the most air restriction. Round holes result in the most restriction. Square or hexagonal holes can offer least restriction, depending o how much material is between the holes.

One of the two most economical media one can use is media cut from a pleated paper furnace filter. That will require frequent cleaning and replacement because it it pretty restrictive to begin with and , because it is such an effective filter medium, it will clog up with dust sooner.

The other one is the mesh from women's sheer stockings (those are the most economical, especially if you can get them used) will work fairly well. Woven mesh is best because it can be stretched flat more than stretchier knit mesh without reducing the effectiveness of the filtration. Either, especially the knitted fabric, will require some lind of coarse mesh, such as really coarse window screening behind it to keep the pressure from the airflow from sucking the filter into the fan.

While foam can be an effective filter medium, it has more restrictions than many other medias from the word go and steadily gets worse over time because it is so difficult to thoroughly clean.

I might just return my current case and get the define mini c

6 hours ago, PositiveRaisin2 said:

Unless you want to DIY those are usually your best options. If you want to make your own dust filters I've used 20x20 fine mosquito(no-seeum) screen which work quite well.