How to force an application to use a specific network card?

Zucc
Go to solution Solved by Stu_Bear,

Create a VM...assign the VM the single network card...install the app in the VM.

So let's say I have multiple network cards, each of them connected to a different router & ISP.

How can i force an app to use a specific connection? when i enable all the connections in windows 10, all the apps will be connected to the first one enabled.

Is there any software that does this? or maybe a batch file? I had tried ForceBindIP tool. But that doesn't work on my laptop.

Which version of ForceBindIP did you use? I have read that you need to use the 64-bit version.

Workstation:

Intel Core i7 6700K | AMD Radeon R9 390X | 16 GB RAM

Mobile Workstation:

MacBook Pro 15" (2017) | Intel Core i7 7820HQ | AMD Radeon Pro 560 | 16 GB RAM

1 minute ago, Husky said:

Which version of ForceBindIP did you use? I have read that you need to use the 64-bit version.

I used 1.32 version. I tried both of 32bit version and 64bit version :(

1 minute ago, SKIDOW said:

I used 1.32 version. I tried both of 32bit version and 64bit version :(

When you say that it doesn't work, what do you mean? What exactly does it do? Does it give an error?

Workstation:

Mobile Workstation:

5 minutes ago, Husky said:

When you say that it doesn't work, what do you mean? What exactly does it do? Does it give an error?

No. That not give an error. It working on cmd. After my command, the software opened automatically. But nothing changed. The browser still working on the default network adapter.

2 minutes ago, SKIDOW said:

No. That not give an error. It working on cmd. After my command, the software opened automatically. But nothing changed. The browser still working on the default network adapter.

Ah OK I see. It should work though. I am not sure what else you could do other than maybe trying some firewall software or something. I know that some motherboard come with network command centers which allow you to do all sorts of stuff like priority and shaping and I believe some of them even allow you to assign certain programs to certain network adapters but I am unsure if those programs will work on your computer.

You could try try what @Stu_Bear above said if you are comfortable using a virtual machine.

Workstation:

Mobile Workstation:

2 minutes ago, Stu_Bear said:

Create a VM...assign the VM the single network card...install the app in the VM.

Yep. That's fine. But I want to do this on a 4GB ram laptop. VM is using high ram usage.

5 minutes ago, Husky said:

Ah OK I see. It should work though. I am not sure what else you could do other than maybe trying some firewall software or something. I know that some motherboard come with network command centers which allow you to do all sorts of stuff like priority and shaping and I believe some of them even allow you to assign certain programs to certain network adapters but I am unsure if those programs will work on your computer.

You could try try what @Stu_Bear above said if you are comfortable using a virtual machine.

Use VM is not a useful solution for my problem :( My laptop has 4GB RAM. That's not enough with vm for my work.

5 minutes ago, SKIDOW said:

Yep. That's fine. But I want to do this on a 4GB ram laptop. VM is using high ram usage.

Well, Puppy Linux is smallish OS...but something tells me you need a Windows 10 OS.  When you say you enabled all connections...how many connections does your small laptop have?  How many network cards does your laptop have?

3 minutes ago, Stu_Bear said:

Well, Puppy Linux is smallish OS...but something tells me you need a Windows 10 OS.  When you say you enabled all connections...how many connections does your small laptop have?  We talking about a single port or LAN(s) or WAN(s) or ?  How many connections do you have ? 

I have two connections. Ethernet connection and another wifi connection. I want to separately bind them to two internet browsers.

Are they to two different networks?  Just checking as if they are both the same network, Windows will ignore one of them as you can't have more than one link to the same network in that way.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

3 hours ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

Are they to two different networks?  Just checking as if they are both the same network, Windows will ignore one of them as you can't have more than one link to the same network in that way.

I know. I asked this question for a third party software

10 minutes ago, SKIDOW said:

I know. I asked this question for a third party software

All software uses the Windows network stack though, so the same rules apply.

You simply aren't intended to have more than one NIC to the same subnet, unless its using teaming which means both NICs would have be on a switch configured for that.

WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)

23 hours ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

All software uses the Windows network stack though, so the same rules apply.

You simply aren't intended to have more than one NIC to the same subnet, unless its using teaming which means both NICs would have be on a switch configured for that.

Whats about the ForceBindIP program? That works on many computers :D

26 minutes ago, SKIDOW said:

Whats about the ForceBindIP program? That works on many computers :D

That is designed to bind applications to network adapters, on DIFFERENT subnets.

You should only ever have a single route out to each subnet.

2 hours ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

That is designed to bind applications to network adapters, on DIFFERENT subnets.

You should only ever have a single route out to each subnet.

ForceBindIP tutorials show it can bind with a specific adapter. Also, they show two browsers with dual ISP and dual public IPs. A lot of videos have youtube about this.

I want software like this. Because ForceBindIP not working on my laptop.

If ForceBindIP isn't working, then you could create a linux VM just with the minimum specs to support a base install to use it as a SOCKS5 proxy.

Assign the virtual network only to the adapter you want that bound to. Then create a PAC file for your browser to target that VM as a socks proxy

Spoiler

Desktop: Ryzen9 5950X | ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wifi) | EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 | 32GB (2x16GB) Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB Pro 3600Mhz | EKWB EK-AIO 360D-RGB | EKWB EK-Vardar RGB Fans | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 4TB Samsung 980 Pro | Corsair 5000D Airflow | Corsair HX850 Platinum PSU | Asus ROG 42" OLED PG42UQ + LG 32" 32GK850G Monitor | Roccat Vulcan TKL Pro Keyboard | Logitech G Pro X Superlight  | MicroLab Solo 7C Speakers | Audio-Technica ATH-M50xBT2 LE Headphones | TC-Helicon GoXLR | Audio-Technica AT2035 | LTT Desk Mat | XBOX-X Controller | Windows 11 Pro

Spoiler

Server: Fractal Design Define R6 | Ryzen 3950x | ASRock X570 Taichi | EVGA GTX1070 FTW | 64GB (4x16GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz | Corsair RM850v2 PSU | Fractal S36 Triple AIO | 12 x 8TB HGST Ultrastar He10 (WD Whitelabel) | 500GB Aorus Gen4 NVMe | 2 x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe | LSI 9211-8i HBA

On 1/29/2020 at 4:44 AM, SKIDOW said:

ForceBindIP tutorials show it can bind with a specific adapter. Also, they show two browsers with dual ISP and dual public IPs. A lot of videos have youtube about this.

I want software like this. Because ForceBindIP not working on my laptop.

That's because dual public IPs will be on different subnets, if you got an IP range from your ISP and tried to use a different IP on each interface from the same range, that wouldn't work either.  Remember, the Internet is a bunch of different networks all connected together, at a fundamental level that's not the same as one big network even if it seems like it is.

What I'm trying to explain is that if you are trying to use dual private IPs, from the same network, it can't work without something like a VM as described above.  This is why NIC teaming exists, because the only way to connect two different adapters to the same network is to create a virtual single adapter to solve the problem of data packets not knowing which adapter to use.

• 3 years later...

Categorize your network preferences to "Private" and "Public", use PowerShell to quickly manage that using these commands:

PS C:\> Get-NetConnectionProfile

Name: [SSID_NAME]
InterfaceAlias: Wi-Fi
InterfaceIndex: 4
NetworkCategory: Private
DomainAuthenticationKind: None
IPv4Connectivity: Internet
IPv6Connectivity: NoTraffic

Name: [Network_Name]
InterfaceAlias: Ethernet
InterfaceIndex: 7
NetworkCategory: Private
DomainAuthenticationKind: None
IPv4Connectivity: Internet
IPv6Connectivity: NoTraffic

PS C:\> Set-NetConnectionProfile -InterfaceAlias Wi-Fi -NetworkCategory "Public"

PS C:\> Set-NetConnectionProfile -InterfaceAlias Ethernet -NetworkCategory "Private"

Then go to Control Panel -> System and Security -> Windows Defender Firewall -> Allow and app through Windows Firewall:
and specify which app to use which network preference you want.