Heres one to rattle your brains....::

Will8008

Evening all,

Redecorated my computer cave and now my internet (ethernet connection) has stopped working, i can connect but have the unidentified network problem.

Now bare with me and excuse my vague knowledge......

My Ethernet is run via an outdoor rated cable from the downstairs router up to the bedroom where my computer is located.

I have to use an ethernet extension cable to reach the computer and this has been working until now.

Now the weird bit is that connecting to the ethernet extender doesn't give me a connection however when i connect my ethernet to my switch and then my switch to the ethernet extender all works perfectly! 

I have done the following steps to try to fix this:

Uninstall NIC and re install

Ipconfig/clear and renew In CMD

Tested another Ethernet extender.
Put a new RJ connector on my cat5 cable (and tested)

I know most of the symptoms point to hardware failure but why would my network work when using the switch instead of been plugged into the extender directly.

Just to point out again this has been working for me for years before this problem! 

It could be that the length of the cable with the extender is too long and that adding the switch with it's powered ports fixes the problem. The switch will then act as a sort of "repeater" or signal "booster".

How long is the cable?

Workstation:

Intel Core i7 6700K | AMD Radeon R9 390X | 16 GB RAM

Mobile Workstation:

MacBook Pro 15" (2017) | Intel Core i7 7820HQ | AMD Radeon Pro 560 | 16 GB RAM

The cable is 2meters

The signal issue is a valid point however i have had this setup working for years. Isnt cat5e rated for upto 200m?

33 minutes ago, Will8008 said:

Just to point out again this has been working for me for years before this problem! 

Have you tried entering your IP address manually?

Quote or Tag people so they know that you've replied.

19 minutes ago, _Syn_ said:

Have you tried entering your IP address manually?

I shall give it a go, i did notice it was automatically giving a high ip number 0.19

2 minutes ago, Will8008 said:

I shall give it a go, i did notice it was automatically giving a high ip number 0.19

Make sure to fill everything correctly, I've had issues with having a router connected to another router and it would sometimes randomly connect to the other router and I would lose connection until I enter the IP Address manually.

Quote or Tag people so they know that you've replied.

Stand down everyone i came to the conclusion that im a massive bell and got my twisted pairs mixed up when i put a new connector on my cat 5 cable!

Thanks for everyones help

2 hours ago, Will8008 said:

Stand down everyone i came to the conclusion that im a massive bell and got my twisted pairs mixed up when i put a new connector on my cat 5 cable!

Thanks for everyones help

We've all done it. ;)

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7