Should I return this 5700XT and get something cheap till new GPUs come out? Waiting on LG 48CX (HDMI 2.1)

agmarcos

Hey guys,

So I've had this 5700XT for a little over 2 months and I can still return it till the 31st. My question is, since I'm waiting on the new LG48CX monitor/TV should I take advantage and return this 5700XT and get a cheaper card to hold off till then or even use an old GTX 760 I have laying around (LOL) till new GPUs hit the market? Im aware of the power difference but I'm ok with that for a little bit since lately I've been busy with studies, so I mainly need this machine (for now) to handle my semi-heavy browsing and whatnot. 

Specs:

• ryzen 7 3800x (got it for the price of 3700x)
  • 16gb of ram (3200 CL 16)
  • Gigabyte X570 AORUS
  • RX 5700XT Nitro+

It's always the best to only buy new CPUs and GPUs when you actually need them. So if you don't need a 5700XT then why should you keep one. 

10 minutes ago, agmarcos said:

Hey guys,

So I've had this 5700XT for a little over 2 months and I can still return it till the 31st. My question is, since I'm waiting on the new LG48CX monitor/TV should I take advantage and return this 5700XT and get a cheaper card to hold off till then or even use an old GTX 760 I have laying around (LOL) till new GPUs hit the market?

If it were me, I'd keep the 5700XT until it doesn't provide enough performance for my liking.

Considering your new screen will be a 4k OLED, It wouldn't be enough performance for my liking. I'd personally go RTX 2080 ti and sell the GTX 760.

If you aren't using it though, theres really no point...

Share any interests with me? Feel free to message me just to chit chat about whatever. 

(Music) Depeche Mode, The Cure, Pink Floyd, Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds, Cocteau Twins, MGMT, Boy Harsher, The Smiths, Drab Majesty, Chelsea Wolfe, Carly Rae Jepsen, The Smashing Pumpkins, Virgin Prunes, Sky Ferreira, London After Midnight, Jonathan Coulton, Alvvays, Clan of Xymox, Bauhaus, Siouxsie and the Banshees, Anna Von Hausswolff, Joy Division, Sisters of Mercy, She Wants Revenge, The Frozen Autumn, My Bloody Valentine, Type O Negative, The Birthday Party, Leonard Cohen, Switchblade Symphony, Metallica, Creedance Clearwater Revival, Eagles, Elton John, Billy Joel.

(Games) PUBG, Metro Series, Command and Conquer games, Warhammer 40,000 games, Company of Heroes (2), RDR2, CoD4

(Other) Going to the goth club, Firearms, Building PCs (Especially budget PC builds), Playing instruments (Guitar, Piano APP for PC, Otamatone, Trombone) Camping, Board Games

1 minute ago, BarackOBatman said:

If it were me, I'd keep the 5700XT until it doesn't provide enough performance for your liking.

Considering your new screen will be a 4k OLED, It wouldn't be enough performance for my liking. I'd personally go RTX 2080 ti and sell the GTX 760.

I see. Well since the screen would be HDMI 2.1, I kinda need to wait for a GPU with said tech in it, which is rumored to be soon since TVs and PS5 are coming out this year. So even the 2080ti wouldn't be fully used to its capabilities. 

3 minutes ago, agmarcos said:

I see. Well since the screen would be HDMI 2.1, I kinda need to wait for a GPU with said tech in it, which is rumored to be soon since TVs and PS5 are coming out this year. So even the 2080ti wouldn't be fully used to its capabilities. 

I didn't even consider the HDMI part... maybe just return the 5700xt, use the 760 and wait till the TV comes out to re-evaluate.

Share any interests with me? Feel free to message me just to chit chat about whatever. 

(Music) Depeche Mode, The Cure, Pink Floyd, Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds, Cocteau Twins, MGMT, Boy Harsher, The Smiths, Drab Majesty, Chelsea Wolfe, Carly Rae Jepsen, The Smashing Pumpkins, Virgin Prunes, Sky Ferreira, London After Midnight, Jonathan Coulton, Alvvays, Clan of Xymox, Bauhaus, Siouxsie and the Banshees, Anna Von Hausswolff, Joy Division, Sisters of Mercy, She Wants Revenge, The Frozen Autumn, My Bloody Valentine, Type O Negative, The Birthday Party, Leonard Cohen, Switchblade Symphony, Metallica, Creedance Clearwater Revival, Eagles, Elton John, Billy Joel.

(Games) PUBG, Metro Series, Command and Conquer games, Warhammer 40,000 games, Company of Heroes (2), RDR2, CoD4

(Other) Going to the goth club, Firearms, Building PCs (Especially budget PC builds), Playing instruments (Guitar, Piano APP for PC, Otamatone, Trombone) Camping, Board Games

26 minutes ago, BarackOBatman said:

I didn't even consider the HDMI part... maybe just return the 5700xt, use the 760 and wait till the TV comes out to re-evaluate.

Yeah Im kinda conflicted. sometimes I even think about getting a 580/590X to hold off till then too.. idk lol  fudge

4 minutes ago, agmarcos said:

Yeah Im kinda conflicted. sometimes I even think about getting a 580/590X to hold off till then too.. idk lol  fudge

Unless you really just want to spend money, there's nothing wrong with just using the GTX 760 to hold off until them IMO.

I don't see the point of getting the RX580/ RX590, no offense..

On 1/27/2020 at 11:42 AM, BarackOBatman said:

Unless you really just want to spend money, there's nothing wrong with just using the GTX 760 to hold off until them IMO.

I don't see the point of getting the RX580/ RX590, no offense..

Yeah I think imma hung that 760 for the time being. Once the new stuff comes out I'll game on.

How can you return it two months later? Are you just going to lie and say it's artifacting or dead or something? Returning a perfectly good card two months later is a big fuck you to the vendor. I mean if you can live with yourself for fucking someone over then yeah, logically it makes sense to get a free two month rental of a gpu and have your money back when you're not going to use the card and new better shit might be coming in a little more than four months. In the same way it logically makes sense to just pocket a $100 bill off the ground after you see some lady accidentally drop it out of her purse and not notice.

2 minutes ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

How can you return it two months later? Are you just going to lie and say it's artifacting or dead or something? Returning a perfectly good card two months later is a big fuck you to the vendor. I mean if you can live with yourself for fucking someone over then yeah, logically it makes sense to get a free two month rental of a gpu and have your money back when you're not going to use the card and new better shit might be coming in a little more than four months.

Holiday return policy - Nov 1st thru Jan 31st. Not going to lie, as far as amazon is concerned all I need to do is slap that return slip on the package, no reason needed. I dont like doing this and I also wouldnt call it a perfectly good card. I mean it runs well for the most part but still a long way to go (drivers-wise).

3 minutes ago, agmarcos said:

Holiday return policy - Nov 1st thru Jan 31st. Not going to lie, as far as amazon is concerned all I need to do is slap that return slip on the package, no reason needed. I dont like doing this and I also wouldnt call it a perfectly good card. I mean it runs well for the most part but still a long way to go (drivers-wise).

Well if amazon wants to make a stupid policy I guess have fun with it lol. They'll be selling that card for pennies on the dollar to someone buying pallets.

8 minutes ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

Well if amazon wants to make a stupid policy I guess have fun with it lol. They'll be selling that card for pennies on the dollar to someone buying pallets.

It's always been like though

On 1/27/2020 at 9:07 AM, agmarcos said:

Well since the screen would be HDMI 2.1, I kinda need to wait for a GPU with said tech in it

Unless it also has DisplayPort, in which case the 5700 XT is more than capable of running it.

CPURyzen 7 5800X Cooler: Arctic Liquid Freezer II 120mm AIO with push-pull Arctic P12 PWM fans RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V 4x8GB 3600 16-16-16-30

MotherboardASRock X570M Pro4 GPUASRock RX 5700 XT Reference with Eiswolf GPX-Pro 240 AIO Case: Antec P5 PSU: Rosewill Capstone 750M

Monitor: ASUS ROG Strix XG32VC Case Fans: 2x Arctic P12 PWM Storage: HP EX950 1TB NVMe, Mushkin Pilot-E 1TB NVMe, 2x Constellation ES 2TB in RAID1

https://hwbot.org/submission/4497882_btgbullseye_gpupi_v3.3___32b_radeon_rx_5700_xt_13min_37sec_848ms