oced cpu but get lower cinebench, cpuz scores

Go to solution Solved by Enormous,

I have figured out, I disabled hyper threading, which it limits my cpu to run with 4 threads. Thanks for all of your helps, I really appreciate it. ❤️

Hi, I'm quite new to overclocking. But I think I did everything properly. I set my CPU (i7-2600k) ratio to 47 (4.7Ghz) with 1.4V Vcore. I tested it, and it's stable. But I found 1 problem that Cinebench scores, CPU-Z scores worse than the stock. What should I do ? Temp is around 70-72C(Cinebench), thanks

My spec

mobo: ASUS P8Z77V-LX
cpu: i7-2600k

cpu cooler: Cooler Master Seidon 240m
ram: Samsung 4*2 bus 1600
gpu: Powercolor Red Devil RX480 8GB
psu: Thermaltake Smart M 650W 80+

was your CPU throttling? VRM? watch the clock speeds during the test.

Bethesda PC:   R7 3700X  -  Asrock B550 Extreme 4  -  Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 16GB@3.6GHz -  Zotac AMP Extreme 1080TI -  Samsung 860 Evo 256GB  -  WD Blue 2TB SSD -  500DX  -  Stock cooling lul  -  Rm650x

CrumpleBox V3:  Xeon X5680  -  Asus X58 Sabertooth  -  DDr3 16GB@1.33Ghz  -  Gigabyte 1660s -  TT smart RGB 700W  -  

Cooler Master Storm Trooper  -  120GB Samsung 850 Pro   -  LTT Edition Chromax NH-D15 ?

CrumpleBox 3 ROTF: I5-6400  -  MSI B150m Mortar  -  16GB 2133Mhz Vengeance Pro RGB  -  Strix 1070Ti - GTX 1070 FE  -  Adata 128GB SSD  -  Fractal Design Define C  -  Gammaxx 400V2  -  Cooler Master silent pro gold 1000W

CrumpleBox 2: i7-7820x - MSI X299 Raider - 32GB Thermaltake Toughram 3.6Ghz - 2x Sapphire Nitro Fury - 128GB PCie Adata SSD - O11 Dynamic - EVGA CLC 360 - Corsair RM1000X

Perhiperals:  Gateway 900p60 monitor  -  Dell 1024x768@75  -  Logi. G403 Carbon  -  Logi. G502  -  SteSer. Arctis 5  -  SteSer. Rival 110 - Corsair Strafe RGB MK.2

How did you test your overclock? (with what app?) Have you checked event viewer for any indications of instability? Have you overclocked anything else?

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

I get this too on a 8700k...except it does perform better on single thread test when oced to 5ghz...multicore test is lower than expected.  On a 5ghz all-core overclock my multi-core score is dismal.

My best results come from using stock speed settings then enabling multi-core-enhancement and turning the clock up to 102.9...I get much better results on the multi-core test while only loosing ~2.3% on single core performance compared to 5ghz.   I have a cheap gigabyte z370m board though...might have a lot to do with it.  My monitor is only a 75hz panel...the settings I have never has an issue maintaining 75fps...figure l'll just leave it be.

52 minutes ago, GrockleTD said:

was your CPU throttling? VRM? watch the clock speeds during the test.

No, my cpu isn't throttling. I put 9mm fan to blow the mobo, I don't think it's VRM. The clock speeds peak at 4.7Ghz all the time (HWinfo)

52 minutes ago, Levent said:

How did you test your overclock? (with what app?) Have you checked event viewer for any indications of instability? Have you overclocked anything else?

Cinebench, CPU-Z, I can't find anything about ocing from event viewer. No, this is my first time.

34 minutes ago, Stu_Bear said:

I get this too on a 8700k...except it does perform better on single thread test when oced to 5ghz...multicore test is lower than expected.  On a 5ghz all-core overclock my multi-core score is dismal.

My best results come from using stock speed settings then enabling multi-core-enhancement and turning the clock up to 102.9...I get much better results on the multi-core test while only loosing ~2.3% on single core performance compared to 5ghz.   I have a cheap gigabyte z370m board though...might have a lot to do with it.  My monitor is only a 75hz panel...the settings I have never has an issue maintaining 75fps...figure l'll just leave it be.

I tried 102.9 (3.9Ghz) I got 1.5k while stock is around 1.6k :(

That mobo you got...is it top-shelf or a cheaper model?  I'm not familiar with that generation of boards...just saying a cheap board doesn't offer much in overclocking if I'm to believe the youtube videos I watch.  

You running R15 or R20 version of Cinebench?

Did you check settings for Turbo Mode Parameters and did you change its values?

3 minutes ago, Stu_Bear said:

That mobo you got...is it top-shelf or a cheaper model?  I'm not familiar with that generation of boards...just saying a cheap board doesn't offer much in overclocking if I'm to believe the youtube videos I watch.  

You running R15 or R20 version of Cinebench?

I'm not sure about the price since it's very old, according to popular pc parts site in my country. It's around 100$, I think it's a decent mobo. It's R20

Ok...makes me feel better you running R20...cause those scores you quoted matched mine in R15 using an 8700k.  It being an older machine...I'd just tune it to maximum performance...even if it means leaving it stock.  There's no quote from intel guaranteeing all chips will overclock -AND- yield better test scores...sorry. 

If you want gaming performance...then maybe overclocking to get best single-core performance is your best bet...otherwise I'd just use MCE and system clock to give it a nice boost for all core performance.

3 minutes ago, Sir0Tek said:

Did you check settings for Turbo Mode Parameters and did you change its values?

I enabled it, and set all of them to auto. What should I set ?

2 minutes ago, Enormous said:

Was their an option to "Enable", instead of "auto", for Turbo Mode on all cores?  "Auto" may or may not force all cores to turbo at the same time.

4 minutes ago, Enormous said:

There's the culprit. Auto sets your cpu usually to 95w limit, so with higher vcore it will reach the limit earlier, the turbo will be less effective. Usually you'd like to increase the limits, 1.v/4.7ghz is likely to be above 135w.

2 minutes ago, Stu_Bear said:

Was their an option to "Enable", instead of "auto", for Turbo Mode on all cores?  "Auto" may or may not force all cores to turbo at the same time.

I don't know but for the "Turbo Ratio" I set it to all cores, but for Turbo Mode Parameters all of them are auto as you can see https://imgur.com/a/xincBGw

3 minutes ago, Sir0Tek said:

There's the culprit. Auto sets your cpu usually to 95w limit, so with higher vcore it will reach the limit earlier, the turbo will be less effective. Usually you'd like to increase the limits, 1.v/4.7ghz is likely to be above 135w.

Only for the long duration or long and short ? 

You may trust 'auto' on short power duration, but I did set it to 1.2x the value for long duration.

Do you have the permissions to change those "Auto" values to anything else ?  Can you also adjust your BCLK to 102.9 ?

image.png.6fcb3391dc966574cef3655f9470a494.png

You might want to install "Intel Extreme Tuning Utility" and playing from there...I "think" you can tweak a 2700k with it.  You can try overclocking from within your OS...makes testing a lot easier imho.  Just put all the stock settings back into your BIOS first.

20 minutes ago, Sir0Tek said:

You may trust 'auto' on short power duration, but I did set it to 1.2x the value for long duration.

I set it to 145W, no luck the cinebench scores just +20 points from stock

19 minutes ago, Stu_Bear said:

Do you have the permissions to change those "Auto" values to anything else ?  Can you also adjust your BCLK to 102.9 ?

image.png.6fcb3391dc966574cef3655f9470a494.png

It's not an option, it's like rrr I have to put the number.

13 minutes ago, Stu_Bear said:

You might want to install "Intel Extreme Tuning Utility" and playing from there...I "think" you can tweak a 2700k with it.  You can try overclocking from within your OS...makes testing a lot easier imho.  Just put all the stock settings back into your BIOS first.

I'll try, thanks

10 minutes ago, Enormous said:

I set it to 145W, no luck the cinebench scores just +20 points from stock

You did set long duration power limit as well? It's the more important one.

2 minutes ago, Sir0Tek said:

That's why I suggested he use Intel Extreme Tuning Utility....assuming you can with a 2700k...it's more intuitive...and giving suggestions and implementing those suggestions is far easier.  

2 minutes ago, Stu_Bear said:

That's why I suggested he use Intel Extreme Tuning Utility....assuming you can with a 2700k...it's more intuitive...and giving suggestions and implementing those suggestions is far easier.  

I tried Intel Extreme Tuning Utility, same result.

6 minutes ago, Sir0Tek said:

Yes, I did it

so, your cores don't play well together in overclocking...I feel your pain.  Honestly a 4.7ghz OC on a 2700k is pretty awesome...I bet it games well.  I'd wager the RX480 gpu can't be bottlenecked by it.  If you are editing videos then I suppose the stock settings are ideal.

If you are a gamer...I'd suggest running Heaven benchmark with stock and OC settings on the 2700k.  I'd use the display settings in Heaven that you use while actually gaming if that makes sense.  See if OC'ing the cpu has real gaming benefits.  I've been meaning to do this myself...really would like to know if 5.00ghz single core will improve my scores vs the 4.83ghz I'm running now.

I have figured out, I disabled hyper threading, which it limits my cpu to run with 4 threads. Thanks for all of your helps, I really appreciate it. ❤️