How to annoy hundreds of developers in all 50 states - Vermont bill would allow Emojis in license plates

rcmaehl

I work in law enforcement.  I have to run plates all the time.  This would make running any license plate for a vehicle pulled over (assuming they're from Vermont) become a bitch to do.  Main reason because at the moment, there's no way to input emojis on openfox or through our CAD system, as far as I'm aware.

Currently focusing on my video game collection.

It doesn't matter what you play games on, just play good games you enjoy.

6 minutes ago, kaiju_wars said:

I work in law enforcement.  I have to run plates all the time.  This would make running any license plate for a vehicle pulled over (assuming they're from Vermont) become a bitch to do.  Main reason because at the moment, there's no way to input emojis on openfox or through our CAD system, as far as I'm aware.

Still same problem:  they’re not number replacements.  That whole claim was BS.  They’re just vanity plate pics.  Parts of two different reports were stuck together to make it look like that was what was going on but it wasn’t.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

▯▯▯▯▯▯

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

9 minutes ago, Leviathan Co-Op said:

"As most of us are former law enforcement or military, we see this as a major issue. What if we are trying to find a suspect that is considered highly dangerous and may be armed? If we are looking at a license plate from 20 feet away, and we can't tell what characters we are seeing, we may send other units on a wild goose chase for multiple vehicles. No, stick to numbers and letters. It is far easier to read and it is safer for everyone." - Project Overkill team

Wouldn’t that be exactly the same problem with ANY vanity plate?  Its just a vanity plate image.

It’s NOT part of the number system.  I keep saying that and people keep thinking it’s not that way because of the misleading intro.  A vanity plate should make it easier not harder.

you hear about misinformation?  This is what it is.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

I think what they're trying to say is that it will distract from the critical info already on the plate. Vanity plates are fine, and sometimes are easier to read. But, having an image on the plate is a distraction.

13 minutes ago, Lauren Harper said:

I think what they're trying to say is that it will distract from the critical info already on the plate. Vanity plates are fine, and sometimes are easier to read. But, having an image on the plate is a distraction.

You mean vanity numbers.  There are a couple kinds of vanity plates.  It’s possible I’m using the wrong term.  I’m referring to the plates that have images on them.4A05C45B-FFFB-4820-9D9C-2506592150F8.jpeg.b1ea543c818e1a73d43e4fa83526488f.jpeg057245DC-9C69-4F99-BB25-24F2B666AC99.jpeg.f762873db34408f8fbd777c76436358c.jpeg

instead of a falcon or a mountain lion there would be an emoji

law enforcement: oh no how am I going to tell the numbers apart when there's a smiley instead of a fucking ORANGE!!!

Naughty, explicit, racist: 2017’s rejected Florida license ...

It's only replacing the symbol that comes on the plate. For example, we have Manatees, state bird, state solar body that apparently no one else knows about (the sun), and some fruit that's quite a bitch for some to eat. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

1 hour ago, ARikozuM said:

law enforcement: oh no how am I going to tell the numbers apart when there's a smiley instead of a fucking ORANGE!!!

Naughty, explicit, racist: 2017’s rejected Florida license ...

It's only replacing the symbol that comes on the plate. For example, we have Manatees, state bird, state solar body that apparently no one else knows about (the sun), and some fruit that's quite a bitch for some to eat. 

Im confused....why did they need to pass am additional law if the emoji is just a picture on the plate? They already have vanity plates. Wouldnt that cover an emoji?

4 minutes ago, RonnieOP said:

Im confused....why did they need to pass am additional law if the emoji is just a picture on the plate? They already have vanity plates. Wouldnt that cover an emoji?

Depends on how they do it.  Every picture might require a law for all I know.  I don’t know how the pictures are picked in vermont.  It’s real possible it would.

On 1/27/2020 at 6:20 AM, rcmaehl said:

Summary:

A proposed bill in Vermont would allow 6 different emojis of 3,019 recognized in vanity plates. 

Pathetic!

On 1/27/2020 at 8:31 PM, NinJake said:

I read somewhere Windows added support for naming servers with emoji's as well. Thank you but no!!! (mostly used in dev environments to my knowledge rather than live)

You can use them pretty much anywhere such as user names or passwords 

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

16 hours ago, greenmax said:

Pathetic!

Must not be enough emojis for such as yourself :D

On 2/7/2020 at 9:47 PM, Bombastinator said:

Depends on how they do it.  Every picture might require a law for all I know.  I don’t know how the pictures are picked in vermont.  It’s real possible it would.

Most states can't just add vanity plates. They go through an approval process for plates for internal additions (the DMV) and bills for external additions (i.e. the people's wants). You want dickbutt vanity plates? Put a bill to a vote and get it done. #TeamMystic

Spoiler

I don't even play Go, I just like the emblem. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers