corona virus

Letgomyleghoe
Go to solution Solved by Letgomyleghoe,

ATTENTION: there is a covid 19 F@H event happening, you can find it HERE.

this is a good opportunity to help with research!

Message added by SansVarnic

Due to the nature of this topic, please keep cool heads and conversation On Topic.

Intentional Derailing, Political Rhetoric, or Arguing will result in removal of comments/replies and warnings issued.

The "No politics" rule will be enforced even harder. This will be last warning you get. If someone posts any political rhetoric (about parties, ideology, policy etc.), you will receive PM from moderator telling to step off the thread. As forum does not have functionality to do it better ways. If you continue to post ANYTHING after receiving PM, you will get warnings for not following staff instructions.

Posting news about what governments in your parts of world do in order to act on this crisis is fine, but will be looked case-by-case. (Updated 03/19/2020)

Remember the core values of this forum;

• Ensure a friendly atmosphere to our visitors and forum members.
  • Encourage the freedom of expression and exchange of information in a mature and responsible manner.
  • "Don't be a dick" - Wil Wheaton.
  • "Be excellent to each other" - Bill and Ted.
  • Remember your audience; both present and future.

For some positive thoughts:

At some point it will be "over" (by some margin, and lets just assume for a minute) and life becomes more normal again at some point before it could became a real appocalypse to the level of global martial law.

Just imagine the joy, of slowly attending the first larger parties (imagine the mood and atmosphere, seeing friends and families in groups again, heaps of hugging and kissing etc). People genuinly happy to see each other, not taking each other or anything (like toiletpaper and groceries) for granted anymore. And that in a cleaner air (less polution) etc.

Of course it will likely be very gradual, and theres the mourning of passed loved ones, reduced living standards due to economic impact - different but somewhat comparable to a world war ending. 

There will likely be some sorts of celabration and a feeling of victory, and hopefully we appreciate each other (even) more than before and realize how precious life really is.

Yet another Toilet Paper Heist got busted

https://abc7.com/6028919

18,000 pounds of toilet paper found in stolen truck

EMBED <>MORE VIDEOS 

It's not known if this was an actual heist for "TP," but panic shopping of bathroom products has gone viral recently.

Thursday, March 19, 2020 6:45PM
An investigation is underway after a stolen 18-wheeler with nearly 18,000 pounds of commercial bathroom paper products was found in North Carolina Wednesday.

Deputies with the Guilford County Sheriff's Office first spotted the truck on Interstate 40 in Whitsett, which is outside of Greensboro.

After they followed the truck off the highway and pulled it over, deputies discovered that it was stolen.

The bathroom products were found inside.

This comes as many stores around the country are low on toilet paper. Americans have been stocking up as the nation deals with the novel coronavirus outbreak.

No arrests have been made in the case and an investigation is underway.

"Whatever happens, happens." - Spike Spiegel

31 minutes ago, Bartholomew said:

At some point it will be "over" (by some margin, and lets just assume for a minute) and life becomes more normal again at some point before it could became a real appocalypse to the level of global martial law.

THAT is a very dangerous thought!

Not wanting to crash down your hopes, just being a realist.

Many scientists tell us to prepare and brace for a 2nd flare and maybe even a 3rd (Spanish Flu had 3 flares in 13 months).

So imagine the 1st one is over, everyone breathes, smiles, is happy, thinks it's finally over and then BAM!!! The 2nd one is here...

If after a year to 18 month, it doesn't come back, then all will be fine... But the way it is infecting people and "behaving"? My money is for it to come back, and usually the 2nd one is deadlier...

Deadlier because people reacted just like you did, and made up for the "lost time", plus the bodies are weaker, etc.

9 minutes ago, Cora_Lie said:

Many scientists tell us to prepare and brace for a 2nd flare and maybe even a 3rd (Spanish Flu had 3 flares in 13 months).

So imagine the 1st one is other, everyone breathes, smiles, is happy, thinks it's finally over and then BAM!!! The 2nd one is here...

If after a year to 18 month, it doesn't come back, then all will be fine... But the way it is infecting people and "behaving"? My money is for it to come back, and usually the 2nd one is deadlier...

Deadlier because people reacted just like you did, and made up for the "lost time", plus the bodies are weaker, etc.

Hi cora lie,

You seem to have missed "lets just assume for a minute"?

I understand what you are saying, and agree 100% and have the same worries. Thats why i need  positive thoughts based on that assumption to keep anxiety in check. Without that assumption (regardless of the odds) there is hardly any hope for a decent future.I need that hope 🙂 thats all.

2 minutes ago, Bartholomew said:

Hi cora lie,

You seem to have missed "lets just assume for a minute"?

I understand what you are saying, and agree 100% and have the same worries. Thats why i need  positive thoughts based on that assumption to keep anxiety in check. Without that assumption (regardless of the odds) there is hardly any hope for a decent future.I need that hope 🙂 thats all.

^o^

You're absolutely right, I did miss your "lets just assume for a minute". 🙂

One of my failings... The realist up until the very end... 🤷‍♀️

10 minutes ago, wkdpaul said:

@Cora_Lie 

You mean to say that defining an English word definition using another language doesn't work!!!

Spoiler

gentle-gasp.png.95758e31f208b7fb10d0e6830d4b1c32.png

Nah! 🙂  I meant to play down his line "my english is not good enough" ^o^

Spoiler

Post image

This is 100% true - Don't touch your shoe laces or if you have to....wash your hands afterwards.

"Whatever happens, happens." - Spike Spiegel

1 hour ago, Cora_Lie said:

So imagine the 1st one is over, everyone breathes, smiles, is happy, thinks it's finally over and then BAM!!! The 2nd one is here...

Hopefully the benefits of modern sciences will get us reasonable supportive treatment and/or a vaccination long before then.

My Current Setup:

AMD Ryzen 5900X

Kingston HyperX Fury 3200mhz 2x16GB

MSI B450 Gaming Plus

Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo

EVGA RTX 3060 Ti XC

Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB

WD 5400RPM 2TB

EVGA G3 750W

Corsair Carbide 300R

Arctic Fans 140mm x4 120mm x 1

Seems where I'm at in Florida, there is this delayed response or half response going on.

While the base I work on been upping the protocol requirements and restrictions since beginning to mid last month.  Also, the base here has one confirmed case now.

Yet, we still got spring breakers that came to the beaches.    :I

2023 BOINC Pentathlon Event

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad Air 5th Gen, Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU

1 hour ago, atxcyclist said:

Hopefully the benefits of modern sciences will get us reasonable supportive treatment and/or a vaccination long before then.

I do agree, And I'd like to hope so.

Knowing that if you want to really play it safe you need to follow protocols... And these take time...

Like for example a vaccine.

Any vaccine developped in less than 18 months has skipped steps and will be not properly tested... And in the long or even short term, some "bad" after-effects can occur. And then what?

Any treatment not tested on several bigger and bigger panels, may have strong or unforeseen after-effects. If that is the case, then what? Who will be responsible?

Medicine is science, it's no miracle. And science takes time...

Vaccine? 12 to 18 months...

Treatment?  idem...

A lot of people put their marbles into the Remdecivir... I don't... It is pushed forward! A lot, Big pharma would like that... A medicine mainly used for HIV could find another way to be used and bring big bucks. And don't think that they will do that out of the kindness of their art. Big Pharma doesn't have one to begin with.

Personnally I put my eggs into the "Chloroquine + Antibiotic" treatment. Because we already know the medicine and can manage the dosage and the toxicity.

I like the numbers so far too. But definitely needs a more exhaustive study on bigger panels. And, again, that takes time!

In medicine, the dose makes the poison.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

After seeing some of tonight's posters and their comments (yes, everyone is entitled their opinion), makes me just wonder: Is Friday night the evening where all the stoopid Hoo-Mans crawl back up their holes to roam the real world? 🤨  We've already had 3 such individuals in a few hours span of time...
Interesting case... 🤔

1 hour ago, Cora_Lie said:

How will it come back? Once it's contained and spread of the virus stops won't it be gone forever?

• My system specs
  • View 91 Tempered Glass RGB Edition, No PSU, XL-ATX, Black, Full Tower Case
  • ROG MAXIMUS XI EXTREME, Intel Z390 Chipset, LGA 1151, HDMI, E-ATX Motherboard
  • Core™ i9-9900K 8-Core 3.6 - 5.0GHz Turbo, LGA 1151, 95W TDP, Processor
  • GeForce RTX™ 2080 Ti OC ROG-STRIX-RTX2080TI-O11G-GAMING, 1350 - 1665MHz, 11GB GDDR6, Graphics Card
  • ROG RYUJIN 360, 360mm Radiator, Liquid Cooling System
  • 32GB Kit (2 x 16GB) Trident Z DDR4 3200MHz, CL14, Silver-Red DIMM Memory
  • AX1600i Digital, 80 PLUS Titanium 1600W, Fanless Mode, Fully Modular, ATX Power Supply
  • Formula 7, 4g, 8.3 (W/m-K), Nano Diamond, Thermal Compound
  • On AIO cooler 6 x NF-F12 IPPC 3000 PWM 120x120x25mm 4Pin Fibre-glass SSO2 Heptaperf Retail
  • 6 x NF-A14 IPPC-3000 PWM 140mm, 3000 RPM, 158.5 CFM, 41.3 dBA, Cooling Fan
  • 1TB 970 PRO 2280, 3500 / 2700 MB/s, V-NAND 2-bit MLC, PCIe 3.0 x4 NVMe, M.2 SSD
  • Windows 10 Pro 64-bit 
  • Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Generation) Premium Gaming Headset
  • ROG PG279Q
  • Corsair K95 Platinum XT
  • ROG Sica

Illinois has announced complete shut down of everything stay inside, only leave for essentials. Businesses that are essential such as police and firemen and the medical staff and shipping companies as well. 

Local hospital is about 5 blocks from me. They have set up tents for high expected number of patients, are implemented in the screening process I suppose. 

That's a good sign it's about to get deep in COVID-19 in my area. 

Just now, Thomas001 said:

How will it come back? Once it's contained and spread of the virus stops won't it be gone forever?

Exactly the same way the flu is seasonal, and other viral sickness come back regularly.

It's called being endemic.

In epidemiology, an infection is said to be endemic (from Greek ἐν en "in, within" and δῆμος demos "people") in a population when that infection is constantly maintained at a baseline level in a geographic area without external inputs.[1] For example, chickenpox is endemic (steady state) in the UK, but malaria is not.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Endemic_(epidemiology)

endemic

adjective

en·dem·ic | \ en-ˈde-mik

, in- \

Definition of endemic

(Entry 1 of 2)

1a : belonging or native to a particular people or country

b : characteristic of or prevalent in a particular field, area, or environment problems endemic to translation the self-indulgence endemic in the film industry

2 : restricted or peculiar to a locality or region endemic diseases an endemic species

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/endemic

11 hours ago, Praesi said:

I'm in my early 30s and have it. 

I had a fever hovering around 102 for over a week, inducing mild delirium and the inability to sleep. I couldn't walk for more than 5 minutes without my muscles just straight giving out. My respiratory problems got so bad that I got a lung infection that required medicine to prevent pneumonia. Breathing was difficult to the point where I needed a medicated inhaler.

This was a mild case that they said was unsuitable for hospitalization.

They didn't even care enough to test me initially, only got tested 2 days ago.

Point is, if that was mild and I'm at low risk, what in the world do you think happens to older at risk people that develop serious symptoms?! 

It's dangerous, downplaying it is... well, pretty dangerous in itself. I wouldn't wish what I've been through in the last 10 days on anyone. I've had the flu multiple times in my life, I would have paid anything to just have the flu instead.

Thankfully now my fever has broken and I'm feeling relatively normal aside from the chest stuff.

Edited by LogicalDrm

MacBook Pro 16 i9-9980HK - Radeon Pro 5500m 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 2TB NVME

iPhone 12 Mini / Sony WH-1000XM4 / Bose Companion 20

We actually got some hand sanitizer and with limit signs everywhere people are still trying to hoard it. Sigh.

CPU: i7 9700K GPU: MSI RTX 2080 SUPER VENTUS Motherboard: ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 4 RAM: 16GB ADATA XPG GAMMIX D10 3000MHz Storage: ADATA SU630 480GB + Samsung 860 EVO 1TB + Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe 1TB + WD Blue 1TB PSU: HighPower 80+ Gold 650W Case: Slate MR Mirror Finish OS: Windows 11 Pro Monitor: Dell S2716DGR 27" Mouse: Logitech G300s Keyboard: Corsair K70 LUX Cherry MX Brown Speakers: Bose Companion 2 Series III Headset: HyperX Cloud Revolver Microphone: Razer Seiren X

25 minutes ago, Vitamanic said:

I'm in my early 30s and have it. 

I had a fever hovering around 102 for over a week, inducing mild delirium and the inability to sleep. I couldn't walk for more than 5 minutes without my muscles just straight giving out. My respiratory problems got so bad that I got a lung infection that required medicine to prevent pneumonia. Breathing was difficult to the point where I needed a medicated inhaler.

This was a mild case that they said was unsuitable for hospitalization.

They didn't even care enough to test me initially, only got tested 2 days ago.

Point is, if that was mild and I'm at low risk, what in the world do you think happens to older at risk people that develop serious symptoms?! 

It's dangerous, downplaying it is... well, pretty dangerous in itself. I wouldn't wish what I've been through in the last 10 days on anyone. I've had the flu multiple times in my life, I would have paid anything to just have the flu instead.

Thankfully now my fever has broken and I'm feeling relatively normal aside from the chest stuff.

Dude that's crazy. We had an Illinois man 44 years old pas away the other day. That's my age. No room for error. This deal is scary and it's real.

Glad your fever broke, hopefully your chest congestion starts getting better soon. Thanks for the insite here, hope it opens some eyeballs.

25 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

Dude that's crazy. We had an Illinois man 44 years old pas away the other day. That's my age. No room for error. This deal is scary and it's real.

Glad your fever broke, hopefully your chest congestion starts getting better soon. Thanks for the insite here, hope it opens some eyeballs.

Thank you, and yeah it's definitely scary. 

I think what scares me more is the false confidence that a lot of people have because of how young they are. Like, no matter how low your risk is, you still have the people you live and interact with at the mercy of your irresponsible behavior. The kids on spring break in Florida make me cringe when I think about how many of their grandparents and other family will end up in the hospital because of the petri dish they insisted on participating in.

spacer.png

MacBook Pro 16 i9-9980HK - Radeon Pro 5500m 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 2TB NVME

iPhone 12 Mini / Sony WH-1000XM4 / Bose Companion 20

17 hours ago, Cora_Lie said:

These "youngster" are the "bright future" of your country! 😄 At least that's how Dr Brix called them.

Have mercy on us.

To those don't have a mask, you can use a white cloth to cover your face, your head, and your ears. All that left is goggle for your eyes. The reason for white cloth because you are going to wash them with detergent and bleach. The white cloth doesn't provide protection like the surgery mask but it is better than nothing.

5 minutes ago, Way2Broke said:

To those don't have a mask, you can use a white cloth to cover your face, your head, and your ears. All that left is goggle for your eyes. The reason for white cloth because you are going to wash them with detergent and bleach. The white cloth doesn't provide protection like the surgery mask but it is better than nothing.

I typically ride a motorcycle to work, so any time I hop off at my community mailbox in my neighborhood, or am walking between my office and my motorcycle leaving or coming in to work, I keep my helmet on with the mouth vent closed, and the visor down. Not perfect, but something.

My Current Setup:

AMD Ryzen 5900X

MSI B450 Gaming Plus

EVGA RTX 3060 Ti XC

Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB

WD 5400RPM 2TB

EVGA G3 750W

Corsair Carbide 300R

57 minutes ago, atxcyclist said:

I typically ride a motorcycle to work, so any time I hop off at my community mailbox in my neighborhood, or am walking between my office and my motorcycle leaving or coming in to work, I keep my helmet on with the mouth vent closed, and the visor down. Not perfect, but something.

We are running out all household essential items here in FL. No toilet papers,paper towels,baby wipes, and paper tissues. We have to use sand paper or water to wash our butts.

11 minutes ago, Way2Broke said:

We are running out all household essential items here in FL. No toilet papers,paper towels,baby wipes, and paper tissues. We have to use sand paper or water to wash our butts.

I'm still baffled by the toilet paper hoarding. If this had been some sort of gastrointestinal virus it would make sense, but not for a respiratory one.

My Current Setup:

AMD Ryzen 5900X

MSI B450 Gaming Plus

EVGA RTX 3060 Ti XC

Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB

WD 5400RPM 2TB

EVGA G3 750W

Corsair Carbide 300R

HEre we gO

CPU: i7 9700K GPU: MSI RTX 2080 SUPER VENTUS Motherboard: ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 4 RAM: 16GB ADATA XPG GAMMIX D10 3000MHz Storage: ADATA SU630 480GB + Samsung 860 EVO 1TB + Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe 1TB + WD Blue 1TB PSU: HighPower 80+ Gold 650W Case: Slate MR Mirror Finish OS: Windows 11 Pro Monitor: Dell S2716DGR 27" Mouse: Logitech G300s Keyboard: Corsair K70 LUX Cherry MX Brown Speakers: Bose Companion 2 Series III Headset: HyperX Cloud Revolver Microphone: Razer Seiren X

9 minutes ago, PhantomJaguar77 said:

HEre we gO

I'm not going to get political but it's only a matter of time before this entire country is in full lockdown. Some experts say this could last 12 months. I dont even want to fathom the level of cabin fever after just 1 month!

8 minutes ago, PhantomJaguar77 said:

HEre we gO

But think of all the sick clouds that will never exist if that vape shop closes...

Putting away the sarcasm for a moment, why are people still being this irresponsible about the situation? It boggles the mind.

My Current Setup:

AMD Ryzen 5900X

MSI B450 Gaming Plus

EVGA RTX 3060 Ti XC

Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB

WD 5400RPM 2TB

EVGA G3 750W

Corsair Carbide 300R