corona virus

Letgomyleghoe
Go to solution Solved by Letgomyleghoe,

ATTENTION: there is a covid 19 F@H event happening, you can find it HERE.

this is a good opportunity to help with research!

Message added by SansVarnic

Due to the nature of this topic, please keep cool heads and conversation On Topic.

Intentional Derailing, Political Rhetoric, or Arguing will result in removal of comments/replies and warnings issued.

The "No politics" rule will be enforced even harder. This will be last warning you get. If someone posts any political rhetoric (about parties, ideology, policy etc.), you will receive PM from moderator telling to step off the thread. As forum does not have functionality to do it better ways. If you continue to post ANYTHING after receiving PM, you will get warnings for not following staff instructions.

Posting news about what governments in your parts of world do in order to act on this crisis is fine, but will be looked case-by-case. (Updated 03/19/2020)

Remember the core values of this forum;

• Ensure a friendly atmosphere to our visitors and forum members.
  • Encourage the freedom of expression and exchange of information in a mature and responsible manner.
  • "Don't be a dick" - Wil Wheaton.
  • "Be excellent to each other" - Bill and Ted.
  • Remember your audience; both present and future.

1 minute ago, atxcyclist said:

Yes, we. We spearheaded the project and built infrastructure here and tested it before anyone else ever saw it.

And the thousands of US scientists/engineers that worked on it as well, like my grandfather that worked with and knew von Braun personally.

Without our work on the "meat and potatoes" it wouldn't exist, so while their inclusions are great we essentially built the bones of it.

Sure.  And it was done with equipment designed in Germany.  It used gear systems designed in Britain, the concept came from a German Jewish postman living in Switzerland, or possibly his wife,  and who the heck even knows who invented the wheel that was used to make all of them.  The concept is called “the screw of knowledge”. The postman did manage to walk up the threads a bit.   Takes a special person and it doesn’t happen often.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

5 minutes ago, mr moose said:

And neither do the practices you are so liberally trying to imply about china. That is the irony and hypocrisy of your claims.  You are trying to dismiss it as it happens in your country but you are happy to argue it is as common as breathing in china.

The Chinese government allows these wet market disease vectors to exist and doesn't regulate them at all. whereas the US government not only is a proponent of vaccinations, but many things including government employment require them. I'll call it false equivalency again but you don't and won't believe that.

My Current Setup:

AMD Ryzen 5900X

Kingston HyperX Fury 3200mhz 2x16GB

MSI B450 Gaming Plus

Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo

EVGA RTX 3060 Ti XC

Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB

WD 5400RPM 2TB

EVGA G3 750W

Corsair Carbide 300R

Arctic Fans 140mm x4 120mm x 1

3 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

Did the Russians have permission? No... They were stolen. 

3 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Arguably.  But not by them.

It doesn't matter anyway,  The English worked it out, that is why the US started sharing information and made a allies pact.  The Russians would surely have worked it out just as anyone else would have.  The point is that dick measuring over who can do what makes no difference to the issues at hand or the moral high ground that some people want to take over it.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

1 minute ago, mr moose said:

dick measuring

But.... thats the only thing the US is good at doing. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

On 2/1/2020 at 4:48 AM, atxcyclist said:

The Chinese government allows these wet market disease vectors to exist and doesn't regulate them at all. whereas the US government not only is a proponent of vaccinations, but many things including government employment require them. I'll call it false equivalency again but you don't and won't believe that.

The US government allows mercola to sell his shit all over the US,  The US government does not shut down anti vaccine rat shit.  There is no difference between the two countries.  

On 2/1/2020 at 4:50 AM, Donut417 said:

We're all guilty, especially when we were young

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

The US government allows mercola to sell his shit all over the US,  The US government does not shut down anti vaccine rat shit.  There is no difference between the two countries.  

This mysterious Mercola person that somehow you care and know about but I've never heard of although I live here; Some boogeyman your news media has elevated to point and sneer at the US, I'm sure. The US government sets standards for public schooling and government employment in regards to vaccinations, and reccomends everyone medically able to get vaccinated, they're not going door to door and holding people down to vaccinate them. Even so, a very small percentage of the population is purposefully not vaccinated, basically some weird hippie naturalist communities. I mentioned earlier that I've kept my vaccination records in a safe, most of us do care about that and get vaccinated.

My Current Setup:

AMD Ryzen 5900X

MSI B450 Gaming Plus

EVGA RTX 3060 Ti XC

Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB

WD 5400RPM 2TB

EVGA G3 750W

Corsair Carbide 300R

11 minutes ago, atxcyclist said:

Yes, we. We spearheaded the project and built infrastructure here and tested it before anyone else ever saw it.

And the thousands of US scientists/engineers that worked on it as well, like my grandfather that worked with and knew von Braun personally.

Without our work on the "meat and potatoes" it wouldn't exist, so while their inclusions are great we essentially built the bones of it.

Do you need to put on new shoes everyday? Because so much patriotism must really have your ankles so inflated that your shoes explode by the end of the day...

American economy and scientific inovation runs on... war !

I strongly advise you to read "Gun, Germs and Steel" by Jared Diamond.

6 minutes ago, Cora_Lie said:

And greed. Dont forget the Greed. 

On 2/1/2020 at 4:50 AM, Donut417 said:

It’s a pretty universal skill.  If I had to pick things fundamental to the American character I’d say being Truculent and exporting religion.  Also some tech skills. The big crazy stuff more than the super precise stuff.  There are more things we used to be good at that we aren’t any more.  Egalitarianism, generosity, fairness.  Those are basically gone. :/

On 2/1/2020 at 5:23 AM, Donut417 said:

And greed. Dont forget the Greed. 

Didn’t used to run on war.  Has ever since ww2 though.  Almost got away from it in the 70’s but we got dragged back.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

14 minutes ago, Cora_Lie said:

Do you need to put on new shoes everyday? Because so much patriotism must really have your ankles so inflated that your shoes explode by the end of the day...

I strongly advise you to read "Gun, Germs and Steel" by Jared Diamond.

Most innovation has been funded and realized by war/imperialism, have you ever heard of the British Empire?

My Current Setup:

AMD Ryzen 5900X

MSI B450 Gaming Plus

EVGA RTX 3060 Ti XC

Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB

WD 5400RPM 2TB

EVGA G3 750W

Corsair Carbide 300R

27 minutes ago, atxcyclist said:

This mysterious Mercola person that somehow you care and know about but I've never heard of although I live here; Some boogeyman your news media has elevated to point and sneer at the US, I'm sure.

You are choosing to ignore the reality of your own country.  I linked to his wiki page earlier.  You are simply putting your head in the sand.

27 minutes ago, atxcyclist said:

The US government sets standards for public schooling and government employment in regards to vaccinations, and reccomends everyone medically able to get vaccinated, they're not going door to door and holding people down to vaccinate them. Even so, a very small percentage of the population is purposefully not vaccinated, basically some weird hippie naturalist communities. I mentioned earlier that I've kept my vaccination records in a safe, most of us do care about that and get vaccinated.

Do you think the Chinese government doesn't have a vaccination program?

https://www.who.int/vaccine_safety/initiative/communication/network/china_nip/en/

Or perhaps you think they are too busy handing out ginseng?  your ability to turn a blind eye to reality is supremely amazing.

1 minute ago, Bombastinator said:

Didn’t used to run on war.

Its always been war. We been at war for most of our nations existance. Either with other larger nations or with the native american tribes. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_wars_involving_the_United_States 

2 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

Its always been war. We been at war for most of our nations existance. Either with other larger nations or with the native american tribes. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_wars_involving_the_United_States 

The US had brush wars in the 1870s. Then nothing till ww1, which arguably wasn’t ours. we tried to stay out of that one.  Then nothing till ww2 and we tried to stay out of that one too.  After that it’s been basically one for every other administration.

5 minutes ago, mr moose said:

You are choosing to ignore the reality of your own country.  I linked to his wiki page earlier.  You are simply putting your head in the sand.

https://www.who.int/vaccine_safety/initiative/communication/network/china_nip/en/

Or perhaps you think they are too busy handing out ginseng?  your ability to turn a blind eye to reality is supremely amazing.

It’s become one of those American skills.  One a lot more universal than is given credit for.   Like dick measuring.  Raging against the dying of the light requires a certain amount of denial of reality though.

6 minutes ago, atxcyclist said:

Most innovation has been funded and realized by war/imperialism, have you ever heard of the British Empire?

LOL!

Remind me again who the WASPs are?

China has a very long and more than quadrimillenial years long History. They were crushed and most of their technological innovation stolen (or maybe the US also "invented" gun powder? paper money? )
They are just as hegemonical as the US are.

The British Empire... Funny thing for you to talk about them... ?

5 minutes ago, Cora_Lie said:

LOL!

China has a very long and more than quadrimillenial years long History. They were crushed and most of their technological innovation stolen (or maybe the US also "invented" gun powder? paper money? )

Funny guy huh. 

Who needed saving during WW2? Who had to dig your ass our of that hole? Merica and the British Empire. Your Welcome. 

4 minutes ago, Cora_Lie said:

LOL!

People forget China isn’t one ethnic group. It’s 53 or something.  The Han ran things for a bunch of years and treated everyone else pretty bad, then the mongols(?) took over and did an if anything worse job.  Han held a grudge for a couple hundred years over it. It what those braids were all about.  The didn’t cut the things off till the 1930’s.  The rest of China is so mad at them they do some weird stuff.  China has one of the most healthy and largest horse cultures in the world but they couldn’t scrape together enough horse to do crowd control for the olympics so they had police on segways like mall cops.  One would half expect horse racing tracks to be done up like mongol camps and serve lamb, but no.

39 minutes ago, mr moose said:

You linked a Wikipedia page of some guy I've never heard of, and I haven't read it. After the delightful discussion we've had, you can imagine how excited I am to do it...

I never said they didn't.

My Current Setup:

AMD Ryzen 5900X

MSI B450 Gaming Plus

EVGA RTX 3060 Ti XC

Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB

WD 5400RPM 2TB

EVGA G3 750W

Corsair Carbide 300R

14 minutes ago, atxcyclist said:

You linked a Wikipedia page of some guy I've never heard of, and I haven't read it. After the delightful discussion we've had, you can imagine how excited I am to do it...

I never said they didn't.

You know when you close your eyes the world doesn't go away.  Failing to educate yourself doesn't make everyone else wrong.

You know when you close your eyes the world doesn't go away.  Failing to educate yourself doesn't make everyone else wrong.

You continually lecturing me about how shitty you think I am doesn't make me interested in what Wikipedia article you've linked, just saying.

My Current Setup:

AMD Ryzen 5900X

MSI B450 Gaming Plus

EVGA RTX 3060 Ti XC

Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB

WD 5400RPM 2TB

EVGA G3 750W

Corsair Carbide 300R

Just now, atxcyclist said:

You continually lecturing me about how shitty you think I am doesn't make me interested in what Wikipedia article you've linked, just saying.

I linked to two sufficient sources to explain who mercola is and who tenpenny is and I linked to another article showing the there is a number of Doctors in the US who advocate anti vaccine nonsense.  The fact you actively refuse to acknowledge they exist means in absolute terms that you refuse to accept that you could even be wrong let alone discover that you are wrong.

That type of loud ignorance is what gives the US a bad name, lets not even broach the topic of pompous boasting and bragging about shit no one cares about (or dare I say it better educated about).

34 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

People forget China isn’t one ethnic group. It’s 53 or something.  The Han ran things for a bunch of years and treated everyone else pretty bad, then the mongols(?) took over and did an if anything worse job.  Han held a grudge for a couple hundred years over it. It what those braids were all about.  The didn’t cut the things off till the 1930’s.  The rest of China is so mad at them they do some weird stuff.  China has one of the most healthy and largest horse cultures in the world but they couldn’t scrape together enough horse to do crowd control for the olympics so they had police on segways like mall cops.  One would half expect horse racing tracks to be done up like mongol camps and serve lamb, but no.

I think you mean the Jurchen people took over the mainland and established the Qing dynasty. The braid thing....:) The Yuan dynasty, aka the Mongol, was like three centuries earlier.

Most Chinese history is about Han. It was really during the Qing dynasty China annexed many foreign lands, so there are 53 ethnic group now.

Wow this thread is just a bunch of dick waving of who is better, and no most people in the US don't fall for the bullsh*t a very insignificant number of people are putting on sites like facebook.

1 minute ago, Blademaster91 said:

Wow this thread is just a bunch of dick waving of who is better, and no, no most people in the US don't fall for the bullsh*t a very few number of people are putting on sites like facebook.

The Europeans started it. Just saying. 

Just now, Blademaster91 said:

Wow this thread is just a bunch of dick waving of who is better, and no, no most people in the US don't fall for the bullsh*t a very few number of people are putting on sites like facebook.

And my argument is that it's exactly like that in China, most people don't fall for the woo medicine and old wives tales.