corona virus

Letgomyleghoe
Go to solution Solved by Letgomyleghoe,

ATTENTION: there is a covid 19 F@H event happening, you can find it HERE.

this is a good opportunity to help with research!

Message added by SansVarnic

Due to the nature of this topic, please keep cool heads and conversation On Topic.

Intentional Derailing, Political Rhetoric, or Arguing will result in removal of comments/replies and warnings issued.

The "No politics" rule will be enforced even harder. This will be last warning you get. If someone posts any political rhetoric (about parties, ideology, policy etc.), you will receive PM from moderator telling to step off the thread. As forum does not have functionality to do it better ways. If you continue to post ANYTHING after receiving PM, you will get warnings for not following staff instructions.

Posting news about what governments in your parts of world do in order to act on this crisis is fine, but will be looked case-by-case. (Updated 03/19/2020)

Remember the core values of this forum;

• Ensure a friendly atmosphere to our visitors and forum members.
  • Encourage the freedom of expression and exchange of information in a mature and responsible manner.
  • "Don't be a dick" - Wil Wheaton.
  • "Be excellent to each other" - Bill and Ted.
  • Remember your audience; both present and future.

9 minutes ago, Syaoran said:

I heard this virus got renamed to boomer remover

Yup, that was heard here as well, was funny 1 week ago.

Until teenagers without prior med conditions also wound up on IC on resparatory devices, just elderly is simply untrue. So now our stupid govt is moving towards closing schools finally. They should have learned from Italy. 

So, the store I manage, and other stores in our franchise are short staffed, apparently a bunch of people are calling in sick, sooo that’s kinda freaking me out. The fact that we are so short staffed, the fact that I’m worrying about my employees, and the fact that it’s busy as all get out is not helping my stress 😅

AMD blackout rig

cpu: ryzen 5 3600 @4.4ghz @1.35v

gpu: rx5700xt 2200mhz

ram: vengeance lpx c15 3200mhz

mobo: gigabyte b550 auros pro 

psu: cooler master mwe 650w

case: masterbox mbx520

fans:Noctua industrial 3000rpm x6

58 minutes ago, CalintzJerevinan said:

Here we go....China is blaming the U.S. Army for the Corona Virus.

wtf, there are crazies out there that thinks The Bill and Melinda Gates foundation is behind the virus? Before blaming the Gates I'd sooner believe that it was a lab in china that leaked it, either by mistake or intentionally.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

1 hour ago, CalintzJerevinan said:

Here we go....China is blaming the U.S. Army for the Corona Virus.

Spokesman, so basically a nobody and his personal Twitter.

Classic Fox News.

Desktop: 7800x3d @ stock, 64gb ddr4 @ 6000, 3080Ti, x670 Asus Strix

Laptop: Dell G3 15 - i7-8750h @ stock, 16gb ddr4 @ 2666, 1050Ti 

On 3/15/2020 at 6:29 AM, Andreas Lilja said:

Spokesman, so basically a nobody and his personal Twitter.

Classic Fox News.

You basically can't trust anyone atm.   This virus has done enough damage to cause panic and fear.  Everyone is blaming everyone on this nonsense.

Also this is going on in United States of America.

Also beware of bootlegged or homemade sanitizers

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/11/us/7-eleven-new-jersey-sanitizer-burn-trnd/index.html

(CNN)If you've purchased hand sanitizer without a recognizable label in recent days, watch out.

The owner of a New Jersey 7-Eleven store has been charged with endangering the welfare of a child and deceptive business practices, after New Jersey police responded to the store on Monday night after reports that four young boys had been burned by an item sold there as "Spray Sanitizer."
Officers with the River Vale Police Department paid the store a visit after photos posted to social media showed chemical burns to the boys' arms and legs, according to a statement posted to the department's Facebook page. Police seized the remaining bottles, the statement read.
The owner of the store had mixed commercially available foaming sanitizer not meant for resale with water and packaged it to be sold at the store, according to a statement from the New Jersey attorney general's office. Fourteen bottles of the mixture were sold at the store, and five were turned over to the police department. Currently, nine bottles are unaccounted for, the statement read.
"While further investigation is underway, our first priority is to make the public aware that they should not use this item if they purchased it at the River Vale 7-Eleven," Lt. John DeVoe said in a statement.
CNN reached out to the River Vale 7-Eleven store, but multiple calls to the business went unanswered.
The Division of Consumer Affairs has opened an investigation into the store's practices regarding the sale of health and sanitation products, the statement said.
"Let me be perfectly clear: if you try to take advantage of our residents during a public health emergency, we will hold you accountable," said Attorney General Gurbir S. Grewal in a statement. "Retailers who try to make a quick buck by exploiting others will face civil and criminal consequences."
The issue hasn't been found in other 7-Eleven stores, just the River Vale location, DeVoe said. It is unclear whether the River Vale location is the maker of the product or acting as a retailer. The investigation is ongoing and those who purchased the item have been asked to contact the department.

Coronavirus outbreak has caused sanitizer shortages

The River Vale 7-Eleven location is owned by a 7-Eleven franchisee. According to a statement to CNN from 7-Eleven Inc., franchisees operate with independent business owners and "are obligated to comply with all federal, state and local laws related to the operations of their stores."
"The safety and well-being of 7-Eleven customers is of utmost importance and our hearts are with this young man at this time," the statement read. "We understand the severity of this situation and are cooperating with local law enforcement. We are reviewing this matter internally and will take appropriate action."
Photos of the sanitizer showed no discernible label, suggesting it may have been homemade in the face of widespread hand sanitizer shortages due to the spread of the novel coronavirus.
In neighboring New York, Gov. Andrew Cuomo announced the state will be producing its own hand sanitizer as a result of widespread shortages caused by the novel coronavirus.
Others have gone the DIY route, making their own hand sanitizing products despite wariness from experts.

More than 4,000 people around the world have died from the virus

In the United States alone, there have been hundreds of cases of the novel coronavirus and 29 deaths. More than 113,000 people are infected around the world, and more than 4,000 have died.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention have said washing hands is the best prevention against the virus, along with keeping mouths covered when sneezing or coughing and refraining from touching your face.
Products such as hand sanitizer can be good substitutes for washing hands. Wiping surfaces down with disinfecting wipes such as Lysol can also help prevent the spread of the virus.

Edited by LogicalDrm
Added quote box

"Whatever happens, happens." - Spike Spiegel

7 hours ago, MadyTehWolfie said:

Its a bit overblown in my opinion to the level of crazy its making everyone. I just wish my parents didnt use hypothetical situations like "If your grandma got sick she would have to live with us" and "Oh so you take it seriously when I say that not so overblown then huh". No you idiots its because you would intentionally bring someone infected into our house that would get us sick instead of isolating them for 2 weeks and then everyone we interact with would potentially contract it. Its overblown but the actions of stupid people are going to make it into a huge deal. -_- Love my grandma but if she confirmed case and contagious no shes going to the hospital not our living room. Cant stand straw man arguments my parents make here.

It may or may not be overblown depending on where you live. South Korea overblown, Italy worse crisis since WW2. And if your grandma got sick some way into the epidemic in your area there may be no space in hospital, on the upside if you're under 60 (and with a living grandma I'm assuming you are) it probably won't affect you too badly if at all.

CPU: i7 9700K GPU: MSI RTX 2080 SUPER VENTUS Motherboard: ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 4 RAM: 16GB ADATA XPG GAMMIX D10 3000MHz Storage: ADATA SU630 480GB + Samsung 860 EVO 1TB + Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe 1TB + WD Blue 1TB PSU: HighPower 80+ Gold 650W Case: Slate MR Mirror Finish OS: Windows 11 Pro Monitor: Dell S2716DGR 27" Mouse: Logitech G300s Keyboard: Corsair K70 LUX Cherry MX Brown Speakers: Bose Companion 2 Series III Headset: HyperX Cloud Revolver Microphone: Razer Seiren X

1 hour ago, Monkey Dust said:

It may or may not be overblown depending on where you live. South Korea overblown, Italy worse crisis since WW2. And if your grandma got sick some way into the epidemic in your area there may be no space in hospital, on the upside if you're under 60 (and with a living grandma I'm assuming you are) it probably won't affect you too badly if at all.

I'm in the US

CPU: 6700K Case: Corsair Air 740 CPU Cooler: H110i GTX Storage: 2x250gb SSD 960gb SSD PSU: Corsair 1200watt GPU: EVGA 1080ti FTW3 RAM: 16gb DDR4 

Other Stuffs: Red sleeved cables, White LED lighting 2 noctua fans on cpu cooler and Be Quiet PWM fans on case.

38 minutes ago, Tony Tony Chopper said:

Looks like the Netherlands is gonna be overwhelmed according to data by 5 April 😭

https://www.rtlnieuws.nl/nieuws/nederland/artikel/5056941/ggd-chef-al-6000-mensen-besmet-met-coronaviurs

GGD in Netherland says there already been 6000 people infected or have been infected in the Netherlands 😱

They only test those in high risk group.

The epidemic began last December in China. I don't get it why so many governments, including ours, are so under-prepared. Not enough testing capacity, not enough medical safety equipments, not enough this and that.....

15 minutes ago, Deli said:

They only test those in high risk group.

The epidemic began last December in China. I don't get it why so many governments, including ours, are so under-prepared. Not enough testing capacity, not enough medical safety equipments, not enough this and that.....

It's called "being in denial".

Psychology 101: "Unless it is in your backyard and hits you directly, it can't happen to you! It's "there" very far far away, so you're not concerned."

And then it's in the backyard and it happens to you and your family and your friends and the people you know! And then anthill is kicked and you see everyone running around in a panic.

And all of a sudden stores run out of TP and hand sanitizer, even though they are told that it's useless and you should wash your hands properly and then stores run out of soap, and later it's of pasta...

There an article I love in The New York Times:
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/14/technology/coronavirus-purell-wipes-amazon-sellers.html

Just shows how some people think...

51 minutes ago, Cora_Lie said:

It's called "being in denial".

Psychology 101: "Unless it is in your backyard and hits you directly, it can't happen to you! It's "there" very far far away, so you're not concerned."

And then it's in the backyard and it happens to you and your family and your friends and the people you know! And then anthill is kicked and you see everyone running around in a panic.

And all of a sudden stores run out of TP and hand sanitizer, even though they are told that it's useless and you should wash your hands properly and then stores run out of soap, and later it's of pasta...

There an article I love in The New York Times:
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/14/technology/coronavirus-purell-wipes-amazon-sellers.html

Just shows how some people think...

This guy, 17700 bottles hand sanitizer, selling for $70 a bottle....Good he got burn.

I was lucky to grab two bottles(last two bottles in the store) last week. Then an old woman walked in and asked about hand sanitizer. It's sold out of course. I almost wanted to give her one bottle. She needs it more than I do. I still regret I didn't do it. I feel I'm a bad person.

Honestly the most dangerous thing about this outbreak isn't the virus itself but the amount of fear and panic it's inducing in people. No the virus isn't a trivial thing, but at the same time the black death it is not. But the way people are acting you'd think it was. Even if it ran it's course with no intervention from governments the worst case estimates of its lethality still put the worst case death tolls far below the level of the kind of panic that seems to be spreading. around. of course thats not to say the panic isn't understandable. This is the first really widespread, (as in global), non-flu infectious disease in living memory. It's a shock to the system for most people.

56 minutes ago, Deli said:

This guy, 17700 bottles hand sanitizer, selling for $70 a bottle....Good he got burn.

I was lucky to grab two bottles(last two bottles in the store) last week. Then an old woman walked in and asked about hand sanitizer. It's sold out of course. I almost wanted to give her one bottle. She needs it more than I do. I still regret I didn't do it. I feel I'm a bad person.

I went to the pharmacy and bought 200ml of Alcohol 60° (3 €).
I went to the organic shop and bought 500ml of Aloe Vera Gel (9,95 €)
I bought some  50 ml blue glass bottles atomizer on Amazon (10 €/6 bottles). The plastic atomizer are way less expensive

I used the essential oil I already had at home.

I  made my own hand sanitizer at home for less than 13€ by using the 2/3 alcohol-1/3 aloe vera gel-10 drops essential oil recipe.

It was ready in 15mn.

It works great, smells good and moisturizes my hands wonderfully. I gave some around me to friends and they are happy.

If you want a more "cream like" result, you can use vegetal glycerin instread of Aloe Vera.

Felt like this while mixing the thing:

Spoiler

Witches-cauldron-clipart-clipartfest.png

We no longer are running low on supplies here.

However, a lot of imported masks from Indonesia failed to pass Quality control.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

17 minutes ago, Cora_Lie said:

I went to the pharmacy and bought 200ml of Alcohol 60° (3 €).
I went to the organic shop and bought 500ml of Aloe Vera Gel (9,95 €)
I bought some  50 ml blue glass bottles atomizer on Amazon (10 €). The plastic atomizer are way less expensive

I used the essential oil I already had at home.

I  made my own hand sanitizer at home for less than 13€ by using the 2/3 alcohol-1/3 aloe vera gel-10 drops essential oil recipe.

It was ready in 15mn.

It works great, smells good and moisturizes my hands wonderfully. I gave some around me to friends and they are happy.

If you want a more "cream like" result, you can use vegetal glycerin instread of Aloe Vera.

Felt like this while mixing the thing:

Reveal hidden contents

Witches-cauldron-clipart-clipartfest.png

I do consider making my own hand sanitizer. I gave a bottle to my brother and keep one for myself I bought last week. i doubt a bottle is enough to last the whole crisis. I just hope those ingredients aren't sold out already.

5 minutes ago, Deli said:

I do consider making my own hand sanitizer. I gave a bottle to my brother and keep one for myself I bought last week. i doubt a bottle is enough to last the whole crisis. I just hope those ingredients aren't sold out already.

The alcohol is made by pharmacies. They always have some in stock and they never run out as they make it (pharmacies don't only sell boxes of medicine, they make some too 😉 )
Aloe Vera can be a bit more tricky, I already saw the prices explode on Amazon (price gouging). That's why I bought it in an organic shop.

Even the atomizers have their prices "explode" 💥 (I use keepa to compare prices on amazon).

My university has stopped all face to face meetings, including lectures, tutorials, labs etc. which I agree with totally - someone in student accommodation here has been diagnosed with it so imo it's a perfectly reasonable response.

I am pretty pissed off with Boris Johnson's "herd immunity" approach cos it's just playing with human lives, a lockdown + funding for a way to tackle it approach is the best option to me (see: Cuba and Canada) but I like how many places are taking their own initiatives to close or cease until it gets better (e.g. a lot of universities, EFL etc.)

Desktop PC - Xeon E3 1231 V3, MSI Z97 PC Mate, 16GB RAM, PowerColor R9 390

OS - Fedora 32 (Desktop PC), elementaryOS (laptop)

1 hour ago, Deli said:

Soap and water is actually better for the home.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/13/health/soap-coronavirus-handwashing-germs.html

I would only bother with hand sanitizer in the car where you can't wash your hands.

28 minutes ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

Soap and water is actually better for the home.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/13/health/soap-coronavirus-handwashing-germs.html

I would only bother with hand sanitizer in the car where you can't wash your hands.

At home and office I only wash hands with soap and water. I don't know how long a bottle of hand sanitizer will last. They are really close to impossible to find in the store now.

If this story proves true (so still to be determined...), but I repeat IF it proves true this behavior is UNACCEPTABLE!

http://www.lessentiel.lu/fr/news/monde/story/un-vaccin-seulement-pour-les-etats-unis-28574480

Translation by Google Translate:

A vaccine "only for the United States"

Donald Trump is eyeing a vaccine currently under development in Germany. This is to offer it exclusively to Americans.

The United States has engaged in a standoff with Germany to try to secure exclusivity for a vaccine against the new coronavirus currently under development by a German laboratory, Die Welt said on Saturday. According to the German newspaper, Donald Trump would try to attract with large financial resources German scientists working on a potential vaccine, and thus to obtain exclusivity for his country. The vaccine would then be "only for the United States," a source close to the German government told the newspaper.

Berlin would try to keep its hand on this company by offering in turn attractive financial conditions. This rivalry concerns the biotechnology company CureVac, based in Tübingen in Baden-Württemberg. It also has sites in Frankfurt and Boston in the United States.

"In intensive exchange with CureVac"

Founded in 2000, it presents itself as a company specializing in "the development of cancer therapies, antibody therapies, treatment of rare diseases and prophylactic vaccines". This laboratory is currently working in partnership with the Paul-Ehrlich Institute, which specializes in research on vaccines and reports to the German Ministry of Health, to produce a vaccine against Covid-19.

"The German government is very interested that the development of vaccines and active substances against the new coronavirus be carried out in Germany and in Europe," confirmed a spokesman for the Ministry of Health in Die Welt . In this regard, "the government is in intensive exchange with CureVac," added this source.

"A powerful vaccine in a few months"

Former CureVac boss Daniel Menichella was invited to the White House on March 2 to meet with Donald Trump, Vice President Mike Pence and representatives of pharmaceutical companies working on the response to the epidemic, announced the company on its site, without specifying any financial offers offered.

"We are very confident in our ability to develop a powerful vaccine within a few months," said Mr. Menichella, who has since been replaced at the head of CureVac by Ingmar Hoerr, in a press release published by his company. She said she hoped to start "early summer 2020" of the first clinical trials.

More Sources on the subject:
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/mar/15/trump-offers-large-sums-for-exclusive-access-to-coronavirus-vaccine
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8114015/Donald-Trump-tries-pay-German-company-creating-experimental-coronavirus-vaccine-US.html
https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/15/coronavirus-germany-tries-to-stop-us-luring-away-firm-seeking-vaccine.html
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-germany-usa/germany-tries-to-stop-u-s-from-luring-away-firm-seeking-coronavirus-vaccine-idUSKBN2120IV

10 minutes ago, Cora_Lie said:

America first...

"Trump was trying to secure the scientists’ work exclusively, and would do anything to get a vaccine for the United States, “but only for the United States.”

I hope the story/rumor isn't true. Too many conspiracy theories are circulating out there now. We should be extra careful not to believe anything we read. It will only make the situation worse.

Just now, Deli said:

America first...

I hope the story/rumor isn't true. Too many conspiracy theories are circulating out there now. We should be extra careful not to believe anything we read. It will only make the situation worse.

I do agree, but it's in Reuters and all the major german newspapers.

Some german Ministers are cited nominally and Daniel Menichella, former CEO of CureVac, has been demoted from CureVac and replaced by Ingmar Hoerr.

As  quoted:

Karl Lauterbach, a professor of health economics and epidemiology who is also a senior lawmaker with the Social Democrats, junior partners in Chancellor Angela Merkel's coalition, tweeted in reaction to the Welt am Sonntag report:
"The exclusive sale of a possible vaccine to the USA must be prevented by all means. Capitalism has limits."

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8114015/Donald-Trump-tries-pay-German-company-creating-experimental-coronavirus-vaccine-US.html

If it was only an unsubstantified rumour I wouldn't have posted it...