corona virus

Letgomyleghoe
Go to solution Solved by Letgomyleghoe,

ATTENTION: there is a covid 19 F@H event happening, you can find it HERE.

this is a good opportunity to help with research!

Message added by SansVarnic

Due to the nature of this topic, please keep cool heads and conversation On Topic.

Intentional Derailing, Political Rhetoric, or Arguing will result in removal of comments/replies and warnings issued.

The "No politics" rule will be enforced even harder. This will be last warning you get. If someone posts any political rhetoric (about parties, ideology, policy etc.), you will receive PM from moderator telling to step off the thread. As forum does not have functionality to do it better ways. If you continue to post ANYTHING after receiving PM, you will get warnings for not following staff instructions.

Posting news about what governments in your parts of world do in order to act on this crisis is fine, but will be looked case-by-case. (Updated 03/19/2020)

Remember the core values of this forum;

• Ensure a friendly atmosphere to our visitors and forum members.
  • Encourage the freedom of expression and exchange of information in a mature and responsible manner.
  • "Don't be a dick" - Wil Wheaton.
  • "Be excellent to each other" - Bill and Ted.
  • Remember your audience; both present and future.

8 minutes ago, PhantomJaguar77 said:

https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2020-03-04/los-angeles-county-declares-coronavirus-emergency-6-new-cases

But certain criteria needs to be met by CDC guidelines in order to be tested here in the US. Showing certain symptoms what have you. Unlike South Korea who at this point have drive-thrus to test anyone who drives up. All I can guess is it’s because we have limited testing kits. It’s still upsetting after stumbling about stories like this.

Trump cut CDC budget by 20% from 2018 to 2019. That's what the US faces right now.

14 hours ago, Canoe said:

The CFR the researchers are using is 0.1 for flu and 2.0 for Covid-19. Twenty times more fatal.

And it's more contagious.

The ballpark figure is 20% of Confirmed will become Severe, of which some will become Critical. For 18% of Severe, they are expected to succumb.

Unless people get onboard with proper prevention, those numbers could get rather nasty. There's enough people over-reacting. We'll find out if that motivates them to educate themselves properly and follow the prevention guidelines.

From the WHO report based on 72K+ cases.

As it says, look at the proportion of the height of the boxes and the hight of the start of the arrows to get an idea of the outcome, Recovery or Death, for each class of severity.

Severe includes needing intubation and gets more intensive.

Hospitalized won't be the 370K of 32 million of the flu.

Covid19 hospitalized will be Severe and Critical, plus the height of the red in Moderate and Mild - if you get them in time.

1734073844_COVID-19outcomepattern.jpg.ab872b56de48ab03311989989224113b.jpg

What we do have, is as the report notes, care evolved over the course of the outbreak. Later cases, hence the rest of the world, will benefit from what was learnt.

Report of the WHO - China Joint Mission

on Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) 16-24 February 2020

Ehhh you have to be careful with those numbers though, unless that stat is for all of those that have COVID19, and not just those that are hospitalized. So, so many people get the flu and don't get treatment, and the same is assumed to be true for COVID19, since for the majority of the population the symptoms are similar. A better way to put it would be "as far as we know right now, COVID19 is 20x more fatal." Really, that's likely to drop quite substantially as more people are tested, recover, etc.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

51 minutes ago, dizmo said:

A better way to put it would be "as far as we know right now, COVID19 is 20x more fatal." Really, that's likely to drop quite substantially as more people are tested, recover, etc.

Let me just remind you that WHO today revised the death rate from ~2% to ~3.4%.

So with a death rate for flu at 0.1% that's 34x more fatal...

Puts things into perspective...

Plus... Just look the amount or preparedness in the US and the testing possibility "right now". The test kits are in production for some time now.

IMO a certain amount of measures should have been taken, like rationing, freezing of prices, etc.

People are complaining of being laid off their jobs? And what about being able to buy 1st necessitiies? It is NOT normal in this day and age that nothing is yet put in place.

Politicians are crying and mumbling about this and that, but right now people are scared, and they need to be reassured, with REAL measures and actions, not promisses.

If a country does nothing to assure its citizen that in time of crisis they will be helped, but just taken advantage off, then... makes one wonder about the immediate future.

This is not the time for everyone to think of its own bun... And, normally, that's why representative are elected.

But hey... Who am I to talk?

14 minutes ago, Cora_Lie said:

IMO a certain amount of measures should have been taken, like rationing, freezing of prices, etc.

Tried those on many necessities in the past, never worked.

Store could limit things per customer though.

Desktop: 7800x3d @ stock, 64gb ddr4 @ 6000, 3080Ti, x670 Asus Strix

Laptop: Dell G3 15 - i7-8750h @ stock, 16gb ddr4 @ 2666, 1050Ti 

8 hours ago, Saberken said:

Which I've given the opinion that I won't totally believe the data from my country which is given mostly by our government. And I still believe that the data only gives us the trend of the disease progress.

And which I want to share about you that the news from our social media and release the fact that the virus has been transilienced. Here are the progressing graphs about the roots of the translient.

According to the article provided by the media they think the L type is more Infectious and viraller than the original one.

716856238_.jpg.74f1089cece8f7f5367f8007ed339b28.jpg

What does this mean in simpler terms? There are different mutations of COVID?

1 hour ago, Deli said:

Trump cut CDC budget by 20% from 2018 to 2019. That's what the US faces right now.

He proposed cuts but Congress passed budgets with year-over-year increases and Trump signed those budgets. In short, the CDC budget has been steadily increasing.

-kp

5 minutes ago, Dwee said:

What does this mean in simpler terms? There are different mutations of COVID?

Yes. Here 2 are shown.

16 minutes ago, Cora_Lie said:

Let me just remind you that WHO today revised the death rate from ~2% to ~3.4%.

So with a death rate for flu at 0.1% that's 34x more fatal...

Puts things into perspective...

Plus... Just look the amount or preparedness in the US and the testing possibility "right now". The test kits are in production for some time now.

People are complening of being laid off their jobs? And what about being able to buy 1st necessitiies? It is NOT normal in this day and age that nothing is yet put in place.

Politicians are crying and mumbling about this and that, but right now people are scared, and they need to be reassured, with REAL measures and actions, not promisses.

If a country does nothing to assure its citizen that in time of crises they will be helped, but just taken advantage off, then... makes one wonder about the immediate future.

This is not the time for everyone to think of its own bun... And, normally, that's why representative are elected.

But hey... Who am I to talk?

Right now. That number may not stay static and could very easily drop. There are likely tens of thousands if not more people that have the virus and were never tested.

The US preparedness is a joke, even compared to other countries. A single province in Canada has done 3 - 4 times the number of testing that the entire US has, with significantly less resources.

I think rationing at this point in time is a massive overreaction.

You think rationing is going to make people feel better? No. It'll increase people's anxiety.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

7 minutes ago, dizmo said:

You think rationing is going to make people feel better? No. It'll increase people's anxiety.

I disagree, it will show them that there is a structure who is taking care and will share the same amount to everyone.

It reminds me of the training and the alerts that are regularlky happening in Japan for earthquakes. If people are educated and you explain to them, they know they always need to have a certain amount of goods in reserve at home. It also prevents sudden panics. You know you already have what you need at home.

In France, they are going to pass a bill on controls.

We already have a law regulating prices in times of crisis and Government officially announced that they are going to ask the Fraud Admin, to control the pricing of some goods. Like the hydroalcohol gel which jumped to 5+ times it's initial price (0.90€/10ml to 5+€/10ml).

39 minutes ago, kpluck said:

He proposed cuts but Congress passed budgets with year-over-year increases and Trump signed those budgets. In short, the CDC budget has been steadily increasing.

-kp

I double check the budget for CDC in 2018 and 2020. Which is ~$7.06 billion for 2018 and ~$6.83 billion for 2020. Ok. not a big cut as reported. But not increasing either.

13 minutes ago, Cora_Lie said:

I disagree, it will show them that there is a structure who is taking care and will share the same amount to everyone.

It reminds me of the training and the alerts that are regularlky happening in Japan for earthquakes. If people are educated and you explain to them, they know they always need to have a certain amount of goods in reserve at home. It also prevents sudden panics. You know you already have what you need at home.

We already have a law regulating prices in times of crisis and Government officially announced that they are going to ask the Fraud Admin, to control the pricing of some goods. Like the hydroalcohol gel which jumped to 5+ times it's initial price (0.90€/10ml to 5+€/10ml).

And in Italy they are just bullshitting around, it seems that they are doing a strategy similar to China, ergo lying to preserve economic interests, without realising that by doing so, you will get everyone in the shit 

Price controls will only lead to more shortages. Economics 101. 

5 minutes ago, Andreas Lilja said:

Price controls will only lead to more shortages. Economics 101. 

Yeah, but if they control even on who are they selling, or set a limit for item for people, at least there will be a better management (theorically) of it, rather playing to the sbest bidder 

14 minutes ago, Cora_Lie said:

It reminds me after the Tohuku earthquake in 2011 that caused Fukushima nuclear accident. Japanese people in the affected area only bought what they needed, instead of cleaning up the shelves of supermarkets. On the other side of the strait, Chinese heard rumors on the net that iodine could protect from radiation. Everyone rushed to buy sea salt and created chaos.

http://edition.cnn.com/2011/WORLD/asiapcf/03/17/china.salt.scramble/index.html

10 minutes ago, Xvaster said:

Yeah, but if they control even on who are they selling, or set a limit for item for people, at least there will be a better management (theorically) of it, rather playing to the sbest bidder 

Item limit could work, yes.

Anyhow I don't get the frenzy, just buy regular frigging soap.

Other numbers of dumb questions:

-When do you get a item into a supermarket, like idk a bottle of cola, that bottle couldn't be physically touched? And by do what measures could be used to disinfect it? Ok if it's plastic/glass nowonder use just some type of alcohol, but if its carboard or whatever else?

-For how much time can that thing survive into objects or whatever else? 

-Why in the world, who is in power is bullshitting around? I mean it doesn't require a genius to understand what is the best way to eradicate it, more faster as possible

A hospital worker who became New Hampshire’s first coronavirus patient had been ordered to self-isolate — but went to a college’s business event instead, health officials have revealed.

The selfish Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center staffer showed symptoms after returning from a trip to Italy, and was told to stay home while awaiting the test result, which came back positive Monday, health officials said.

Having defied the first directive, the hospital worker was “issued an official order of isolation” after officially testing positive on Monday, officials said.

A close colleague of his at the hospital then became the Granite State’s second confirmed case on Tuesday, their hospital confirmed.

https://nypost.com/2020/03/04/coronavirus-patient-ignored-self-isolation-order-to-go-to-business-event/

feels like I’m watching a movie at this point

CPU: i7 9700K GPU: MSI RTX 2080 SUPER VENTUS Motherboard: ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 4 RAM: 16GB ADATA XPG GAMMIX D10 3000MHz Storage: ADATA SU630 480GB + Samsung 860 EVO 1TB + Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe 1TB + WD Blue 1TB PSU: HighPower 80+ Gold 650W Case: Slate MR Mirror Finish OS: Windows 11 Pro Monitor: Dell S2716DGR 27" Mouse: Logitech G300s Keyboard: Corsair K70 LUX Cherry MX Brown Speakers: Bose Companion 2 Series III Headset: HyperX Cloud Revolver Microphone: Razer Seiren X

4 minutes ago, Xvaster said:

-When do you get a item into a supermarket, like idk a bottle of cola, that bottle couldn't be physically touched? And by do what measures could be used to disinfect it? Ok if it's plastic/glass nowonder use just some type of alcohol, but if its carboard or whatever else?

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/coronaviruses-how-long-can-they-survive-on-surfaces#How-long-do-coronaviruses-persist?

Apparently can survive from 2 hours to 9 days depending on the materials.

Better pray that the employee doing the facing didn't have it.

On 3/5/2020 at 1:25 AM, PhantomJaguar77 said:

And that's why I think that the quarantine should be military enforced 

In Italy another idiot, "escaped" from quarantine to go to skiing

On 3/5/2020 at 1:27 AM, Andreas Lilja said:

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/coronaviruses-how-long-can-they-survive-on-surfaces#How-long-do-coronaviruses-persist?

Apparently can survive from 2 hours to 9 days depending on the materials.

Better pray that the employee doing the facing didn't have it.

Spreading it with alcohol (maybe isopropyl? Ethanol here is pricey af cause of taxes), could resolve it?

Or by boiling the item or whatever else?

32 minutes ago, Deli said:

I double check the budget for CDC in 2018 and 2020. Which is ~$7.06 billion for 2018 and ~$6.83 billion for 2020. Ok. not a big cut as reported. But not increasing either.

Let ABC know, their news division is reporting otherwise.

In fact, all of Trump’s budget proposals have called for cuts to CDC funding, but Congress has intervened each time by passing spending bills with year-over-year increases for the CDC that Trump then signed into law.

-kp

1 minute ago, Xvaster said:

Spreading it with alcohol (maybe isopropyl? Ethanol here is pricey af cause of taxes), could resolve it?

Or by boiling the item or whatever else?

Isopropyl would be very effecive, yes.

27 minutes ago, kpluck said:

Let ABC know, their news division is reporting otherwise.

-kp

My figures come from CDC website. So I suppose it should be accurate.

1 hour ago, Xvaster said:

I'd name their ass.

1 hour ago, Xvaster said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Posse_Comitatus_Act

They dont because its against the LAW. Even if the president wanted to, the War Powers act also limits the presidents ability to use troops without congressional aproval. The only way they could potential use military forces is if they declare martial law. BUT that has also been challenged by the supream court during president Lincoln's time in office. As he pretty much did that and the US supream court declared that unconsituitonal. That ruling has never been chanllenged. Making it law. 

The state governors could use the national guard as long as it under the states authority. BUT I dont think the national gaurd has the required training or equpiment to handle this. I know someone who served in Michigans Nattional guard and yeah........ they are not really equiped the way they need to be. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn.