corona virus

Letgomyleghoe
Go to solution Solved by Letgomyleghoe,

ATTENTION: there is a covid 19 F@H event happening, you can find it HERE.

this is a good opportunity to help with research!

Message added by SansVarnic

Due to the nature of this topic, please keep cool heads and conversation On Topic.

Intentional Derailing, Political Rhetoric, or Arguing will result in removal of comments/replies and warnings issued.

The "No politics" rule will be enforced even harder. This will be last warning you get. If someone posts any political rhetoric (about parties, ideology, policy etc.), you will receive PM from moderator telling to step off the thread. As forum does not have functionality to do it better ways. If you continue to post ANYTHING after receiving PM, you will get warnings for not following staff instructions.

Posting news about what governments in your parts of world do in order to act on this crisis is fine, but will be looked case-by-case. (Updated 03/19/2020)

Remember the core values of this forum;

• Ensure a friendly atmosphere to our visitors and forum members.
  • Encourage the freedom of expression and exchange of information in a mature and responsible manner.
  • "Don't be a dick" - Wil Wheaton.
  • "Be excellent to each other" - Bill and Ted.
  • Remember your audience; both present and future.

14 minutes ago, VegetableStu said:

was there another cruise ship that no country allowed it to dock in? o_o i kinda fear for their lives (and the whole mind-state of that whole situation... imagine space exploration)

Yes. News report they had been accepted to dock in Cambodia.

p.s.

I haven't checked if they docked.

17 minutes ago, Canoe said:

Scott Gotleib has an interesting career.  I followed it due to e-cigarette stuff.  He’s got an MD but his primary interest is buying and selling companies.   Trump appointee.  Left when he got a higher paying job as board member on some medical company.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

2 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

Scott Gotleib has an interesting career.  I followed it due to e-cigarette stuff.  He’s got an MD but his primary interest is buying and selling companies.   Trump appointee.  Left when he got a higher paying job as board member on some medical company.

Gottlieb -- who has no formal background in public health but participated in biodefense and pandemic preparedness programs at the FDA prior to becoming commissioner -- said that what he's seen so far indicates that the disease may become a pandemic.

Like I said paranoia is a terrible thing. After work I’m going to Wei Wei for some Chinese food take out.

CPU: i7 9700K GPU: MSI RTX 2080 SUPER VENTUS Motherboard: ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 4 RAM: 16GB ADATA XPG GAMMIX D10 3000MHz Storage: ADATA SU630 480GB + Samsung 860 EVO 1TB + Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe 1TB + WD Blue 1TB PSU: HighPower 80+ Gold 650W Case: Slate MR Mirror Finish OS: Windows 11 Pro Monitor: Dell S2716DGR 27" Mouse: Logitech G300s Keyboard: Corsair K70 LUX Cherry MX Brown Speakers: Bose Companion 2 Series III Headset: HyperX Cloud Revolver Microphone: Razer Seiren X

1 hour ago, Canoe said:

I don’t know if those two quotes are mutually exclusive.  I don’t know if a “background in public health” is an MD.  They’re not quite the same thing after all.  He was the one setting up ecig regulation a few years ago and was one of Trump’s early appointments.  As such the ecig community dig into his background with a certain amount of fervor.  He was actually pretty well qualified for his job for a trump appointee.  They often have little or no experience in their fields.  

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Case in Hawaii.

It's reported Pt. developed a fever six days after arrival on the island.

~six is within the incubation range, so unknown if this case was an import or a local transmission.

CDC to test flu samples for coronavirus as an early warning measure

... public health labs that usually test for influenza to also start testing for coronavirus in the United States this week. The labs are in Chicago, Los Angeles, New York, San Francisco and Seattle.

The public health labs are part of the CDC’s existing flu surveillance network, which monitors influenza illnesses and hospitalizations. Specimens that test negative for flu will be tested for coronavirus, said Nancy Messonnier, who is leading the coronavirus response at the CDC. Officials plan to expand the testing to more labs in the coming weeks to provide an early warning of where the virus may be spreading. ...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/asia_pacific/coronavirus-china-live-updates/2020/02/14/6806aa08-4eb8-11ea-b721-9f4cdc90bc1c_story.html

This season, at least 26 million people have been sickened by the flu in the United States, including 250,000 hospitalizations and 14,000 deaths.

51 minutes ago, Canoe said:

Case in Hawaii.

It's reported Pt. developed a fever six days after arrival on the island.

~six is within the incubation range, so unknown if this case was an import or a local transmission.

CDC to test flu samples for coronavirus as an early warning measure

Fdfffffff... well every boat and plane and person on a plane leaving Hawaii in the last two weeks is going to need to be tracked now..

On 2/15/2020 at 1:18 AM, Bombastinator said:

Fdfffffff... well every boat and plane and person on a plane leaving Hawaii in the last two weeks is going to need to be tracked now..

The planes coming and going are screened.

To different standards in different jurisdictions.

Reports that some places in Africa are only screening incoming from China...

China is tracking down "close contacts".

From CNHC Daily Update of Feb 13, 2020.

493,067 close contacts have been followed-up so far and 177,984 of them remain under medical observation.

On 2/15/2020 at 1:22 AM, Andreas Lilja said:

https://www.taiwannews.com.tw/en/news/3876080

Like when they removed their teeth during World War Z? 

A North Korean trade official has reportedly been executed by firing squad for going to a public bath, in violation of his coronavirus quarantine after having returned from China.

wow

I haven't heard more about the woman in Russia who escaped (escape map, defeated locks, etc.) quarantine in hospital and went home and was barricaded in her apartment with police outside.

After the thread was "moderated", I can't find the post that described a way to make your own filter.

Here's a doctor in Wuhan who's made his own DIY Positive Pressure Air Hood.

There’s no build information, but from the pictures we can guess at what [Dr. Cui] came up with. The boxy bit is an AirPro Car, a HEPA filter meant to clean the cabin air in a motor vehicle. He glued on a USB battery pack to power it, used a scrap of plastic and some silicone adhesive to adapt a heat-moisture exchange filter from a mechanical ventilator to the AirPro’s outlet, and stuck the tube into a plastic bag sealed around his neck. The filter provides dry, positive pressure air to keep the bag from fogging up, and to keep [Dr. Cui] from asphyxiating. Plus he’s protected from droplet contact, which is a big plus over simple paper masks.

https://hackaday.com/2020/02/12/hacked-protective-gear-keeps-doctor-safe-in-the-hot-zone/

https://twitter.com/RealSexyCyborg/status/1226844462552244226

We should be able to make something and just tell people we thought it was cosplay day at work.

27 minutes ago, Andreas Lilja said:

https://www.taiwannews.com.tw/en/news/3876080

Like when they removed their teeth during World War Z? 

Huh?  It’s North Korea.  It was probably not so much “you went to a public bath” so much as “you did something dear leader told you not to”.  North Korea doesn’t operate under the same rules as the rest of the world.

Okay... Seems the name has changed again...

Just read that it is now "SARS-CoV-2" as in "Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome CoronaVirus 2"

It seems that's the name given by the "experts"... Isn't the WHO Comittee composed of "experts"?

It would be nice if they would agree once and for all... ?

I've just read this: https://www.taiwannews.com.tw/en/news/3876197

--> "Chinese doctors say Wuhan coronavirus reinfection even deadlier"

Anyone has more news/info regarding this???

15 minutes ago, Cora_Lie said:

Just read that it is now "SARS-CoV-2" as in "Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome CoronaVirus 2"

It’s new. Everyone and their mom is trying to make up a name.

Thought it would be interesting to finally "know the enemy"! ?

Here the picture of the bugger!!

Spoiler

NIAID Makes New Images of SARS-CoV-2 Available for COVID-19 Coverage

The bugger is in yellow! ?

Source: NIAID

We had several times the discussion about "numbers"... Between "real", "official", "extrapolated", yada yada.

Here's an article to take with a grain of salt:

--> "Rise in sulfur dioxide could be sign of mass cremations in Wuhan"

https://www.taiwannews.com.tw/en/news/3874013

I don't want to believe that the 2 3rd option is the right one, but thinking of past things, I think it may me unfortunately not "untrue"...

Edited by Guest

On 2/15/2020 at 2:13 AM, Cora_Lie said:

It seems that's the name given by the "experts"... Isn't the WHO Comittee composed of "experts"?

They do.

The virus is named SARS-CoV-2.

The disease it causes is named Covid-19.

On 2/15/2020 at 2:38 AM, Cora_Lie said:

We had several times the discussion about "numbers"... Between "real", "official", "extrapolated", yada yada.

Here's an article to take with a grain of salt:

--> "Rise in sulfur dioxide could be sign of mass cremations in Wuhan"

https://www.taiwannews.com.tw/en/news/3874013

I don't want to believe that the 2 3rd option is the right one, but thinking of past things, I think it may me unfortunately not "untrue"...

There's been a number of "alerts" over the past week regarding pockets of various gasses as detected from satellites, and available on free sites. You'd need to compare to pre-Covid-19 values, and account for many other factors. I don't see how levels could be correlated with a specific activity on the ground. They're regarded more of a general indication of production over an urban area, and of dispersion (or not) by weather systems (the gases as detected are not necessarily over their source when the measurements are done...). Some low level fires that get missed by flame/heat detection can show up by the detection of their gasses (or smoke particles).

News report:
https://www.theguardian.com/world/live/2020/feb/14/coronavirus-latest-updates-wuhan-hubei-china-deaths-cruise-ship-sydney-cases-covid19-live-news

First confirmed case of coronavirus in Africa

Africa has its first confirmed case of coronavirus after a person in Egypt tested positive for the disease, it has emerged.

The person, who is not Egyptian, is in hospital isolation, the country’s health ministry said.

The ministry said it had immediately informed the World Health Organization and taken all necessary preventative measures.

No other details are known yet about the individual who caught the disease.

13 minutes ago, Canoe said:

There's been a number of "alerts" over the past week regarding pockets of various gasses as detected from satellites, and available on free sites. You'd need to compare to pre-Covid-19 values, and account for many other factors. I don't see how levels could be correlated with a specific activity on the ground. They're regarded more of a general indication of production over an urban area, and of dispersion (or not) by weather systems (the gases as detected are not necessarily over their source when the measurements are done...). Some low level fires that get missed by flame/heat detection can show up by the detection of their gasses (or smoke particles).

Here I totally disagree with you and the whys and hows are perfectly explained in the article.

And I won't repeat what is already written down in the article...

On 2/15/2020 at 3:57 AM, Cora_Lie said:

Here I totally disagree with you and the whys and hows are perfectly explained in the article.

And I won't repeat what is already written down in the article...

And I've spent too much time using those sources for tracking the fires along the western U.S. coast states, compared to the on-the-ground fire reports & photos, to have confidence in the precision of the detections.

Their observations are interesting, but can not be conclusive. Corroboration from a reliable source, or sources, required.

On 2/15/2020 at 5:25 AM, Andreas Lilja said:

Chinese report Pt.s that are Asymptomatic yet are infected.

And it's unknown if once a Covid-19 Pt. recovers, if they'll shed the virus for a period of time.

As in the article, "We don’t know that means, whether that’s live or dead virus".

... recovered but remain in isolation at their home because tests still show them carrying the bug, authorities say.

Nose and throat swabs taken since the man was released from Sunnybrook hospital two weeks ago continue to show traces of coronavirus in both him and his wife, who was never hospitalized. ... “There is some genetic material or viral material left in the individual specimens,” Dr. Vanessa Allen of Public Health Ontario said Thursday.

“We don’t know that means, whether that’s live or dead virus,” Allen said.

1 minute ago, Canoe said:

that are Asymptomatic yet are infected.

This is a big concern. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

Big oof.

One of the people diagnosed with coronavirus in the UK attended a conference in central London with more than 200 other delegates, according to organisers. The person, who has not been identified, attended the UK Bus Summit at the Queen Elizabeth II Centre in Westminster last Thursday. The conference organiser, Transport Times, sent an email yesterday to all attendees to inform them of the risk, enclosing a letter from Public Health England (PHE).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDabPs5e90o

CPU: i7 9700K GPU: MSI RTX 2080 SUPER VENTUS Motherboard: ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 4 RAM: 16GB ADATA XPG GAMMIX D10 3000MHz Storage: ADATA SU630 480GB + Samsung 860 EVO 1TB + Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe 1TB + WD Blue 1TB PSU: HighPower 80+ Gold 650W Case: Slate MR Mirror Finish OS: Windows 11 Pro Monitor: Dell S2716DGR 27" Mouse: Logitech G300s Keyboard: Corsair K70 LUX Cherry MX Brown Speakers: Bose Companion 2 Series III Headset: HyperX Cloud Revolver Microphone: Razer Seiren X

2 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

This is a big concern. 

If I remember correctly, their first report was of 87 Pt.s Asymptomatic yet infected.

Remember that cruise ship that was allowed to dock in Cambodia and was thought no one was infected on board?

An elderly American stuck on a cruise ship that was repeatedly refused port amid coronavirus fears was diagnosed with the illness after she and her fellow passengers were deemed healthy and allowed to head home.

Cambodian Prime Minister Hun Sen greeted the ship and shook hands with passengers as they got off.

https://nypost.com/2020/02/15/american-diagnosed-with-coronavirus-after-being-cleared-to-leave-cruise-ship/

10 hours ago, VegetableStu said:

how the hell did i miss this video o_o

On the other hand, some videos urge people to start stock up food, water, medical supply and fuel. Oh, my....