corona virus

Letgomyleghoe
Go to solution Solved by Letgomyleghoe,

ATTENTION: there is a covid 19 F@H event happening, you can find it HERE.

this is a good opportunity to help with research!

Message added by SansVarnic

Due to the nature of this topic, please keep cool heads and conversation On Topic.

Intentional Derailing, Political Rhetoric, or Arguing will result in removal of comments/replies and warnings issued.

The "No politics" rule will be enforced even harder. This will be last warning you get. If someone posts any political rhetoric (about parties, ideology, policy etc.), you will receive PM from moderator telling to step off the thread. As forum does not have functionality to do it better ways. If you continue to post ANYTHING after receiving PM, you will get warnings for not following staff instructions.

Posting news about what governments in your parts of world do in order to act on this crisis is fine, but will be looked case-by-case. (Updated 03/19/2020)

Remember the core values of this forum;

• Ensure a friendly atmosphere to our visitors and forum members.
  • Encourage the freedom of expression and exchange of information in a mature and responsible manner.
  • "Don't be a dick" - Wil Wheaton.
  • "Be excellent to each other" - Bill and Ted.
  • Remember your audience; both present and future.

18 minutes ago, Canoe said:

So stop reading the speculations and stick to the science reports.

The medical/science people are giving it lots of attention for the reasons stated here

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1149427-corona-virus/?do=findComment&comment=13287519

p.s.

SARS, MERS and 2019-nCoV are all corona viruses.

@Canoe what speculations am I reading into? I never said anything about speculations being fact. I am not reading into any speculations just stating there are many. SARS MERS and the latest 2019-nCOV are coronavirus strains but most people know them as SARS, MERS and now Coronavirus so that's what I stated. And as all viruses there is no cure but there is one fact that's for sure. The Flu has killed more people in one country than the other 3 versions of the corona viruses combined in one country. The flu, corona virus mutate over time. It happens and attacks our immune system differently. My point was that this is a new epidemic that is taking China by surprise and that something like this is nothing new as the flu has killed many more and infected many more that people also need to be aware of. 

1 hour ago, spartaman64 said:

ok then name some. and the WHO stated that they are confident that china has it under control https://www.reuters.com/article/us-china-health-who/who-chief-says-confident-in-chinas-ability-to-contain-virus-urges-calm-idUSKBN1ZR0K4 and once again i stress that theres only 15 cases in the US out of a population of 327 million

For a virus for which so much remains to be determined.

Note that article is from January 28th, and notes 106 deaths in China, but at least you did some research.

Stress what you want.

Here's what the experts are concerned about. Started late last week. Largely U.S. experts wondering if, when (or if it's now), the U.S. should start ramping up hospitals in preparation. They're not decided, let alone have a consensus, but this is part of what they're working on. They're taking it very seriously, not as an exercise in planning. Research it.

On 2/10/2020 at 5:47 PM, Canoe said:

Spoiler

In other discussions, ...

Zones with infections outside of China are reporting:

• imported infections
  • transmissions from imported
  • transmissions from non-imported
  • and now, infections from non-imported, with no known contact with a known carrier

Combine that with roughly half of all transmissions occur while the carrier is in their incubation period, and a number later present with symptoms so mild that they're almost asymptomatic - as in, they're walking around and going to work without any visible symptoms.

Experts seem to be getting concerned about the extent of seeding outside of China, thinking it's likely already in place more thoroughly than detected.

• It could be present but largely hidden, due to so many having mild symptoms, but they're carriers during incubation, after symptoms appear, and possibly shedding and exposing for a period after they recover. Many may never realize, or have realized, that they had something serious.
  • They're considering if that seeding is already happening in multiple locations around the world, or soon will as those infected slowly grows, until a breakout which will get detected.
  • Calls to plan for, and to consider starting, ramping up hospitals now in preparation for the increasing likelihood of outbreaks.

•  
Edited by LogicalDrm

3 minutes ago, Canoe said:

Note that article is from January 28th, and notes 106 deaths in China, but at least you did some research.

Stress what you want.

Here's what the experts are concerned about. Started late last week. Largely U.S. experts wondering if, when (or if it's now), the U.S. should start ramping up hospitals in preparation. They're not decided, let alone have a consensus, but this is part of what they're working on. They're taking it very seriously, not as an exercise in planning. Research it.

@Canoeyou are seriously coming off as arrogant and all knowing about this issue and not even trying to see other people's point of view. 

18 minutes ago, nyichiban said:

@Canoe what speculations am I reading into? I never said anything about speculations being fact. I am not reading into any speculations just stating there are many. ...

you said

1 hour ago, nyichiban said:

... There is too much speculations right now and too many differing stories about where it came from and the amount of people and deaths or it could be updates at different times. ...

So I said

> So stop reading the speculations and stick to the science reports.

So stop reading the speculations and stores.

7 minutes ago, Canoe said:

Stress what you want.

you are once again attacking a strawman i never said we shouldnt be prepared ofc we should prepare for the worst but im saying theres no sign its going to reach that point and panicking about it does us no good. and there are other more pressing issues like getting people to vaccinate for the flu which is killing people in the US

2 minutes ago, Canoe said:

you said

So I said

Read my response. I said I was stating there are many speculations. Much like many theories or ideas. And for the 2nd time I am not reading into it. Please learn to read what people are writing instead of translating them into something else in your mind. You sir are being arrogant and ignorant.  

@Canoeyou are seriously coming off as arrogant and all knowing about this issue and not even trying to see other people's point of view. 

That could very well be.

I'm frustrated when people post incorrect information or misinformation. "Information" that misleads people. Particularily when correct information, or as correct as possible with such fast paced changes as new information is determined, has already been posted. To prevent reduce people geting mislead, that needs to be corrected.

Read my response. I said I was stating there are many speculations. Much like many theories or ideas. And for the 2nd time I am not reading into it. Please learn to read what people are writing instead of translating them into something else in your mind. You sir are being arrogant and ignorant.  

Then read what I posted.

I never said you were reading into it. You said "There is too much speculations right now and too many differing stories". So I said to stop reading speculation.

1 hour ago, Canoe said:

That could very well be.

I'm frustrated when people post incorrect information or misinformation. Information that misleads people. Particularily when correct information, or as correct as possible with such fast paced changes as new information is determined, has already been posted. To prevent reduce people geting mislead, that needs to be corrected.

You should also read what I am writing. I never once said I believed those speculations. Just because I say there are people who believe in Jesus or Allah doesn't mean I believe them too. Don't make your own translations from what people are saying. That's just ignorance and you end up creating misinformation of what people are saying.

1 hour ago, Canoe said:

Then read what I posted.

I never said you were reading into it. You said "There is too much speculations right now and too many differing stories". So I said to stop reading speculation.

I am not reading it. I am just stating there are many. Enough of this. Apparently you only want to see fault in others and interpret things to your own benefit. What I wanted to convey is that there are many differing things out there so it's important to get the all the facts.

1 minute ago, nyichiban said:

... I never once said I believed those speculations. ...

I never said you did.

Just now, Canoe said:

I never said you did.

10 minutes ago, Canoe said:

you said

So I said

So what does that mean then?

I am not reading it. I am just stating there are many. Enough of this. Apparently you only want to see fault in others and interpret things to your own benefit. What I wanted to convey is that there are many differing things out there so it's important to get the all the facts.

And if you weren't reading it, how wyould you know of those speculations and stores and be able to offer up possible explanations for them.

It's not interpretaiton, it's what you wrote.

> important to get the facts

Correct.

So what does that mean then?

> I never said you did.

Means

"I never said you believed those speculations."

I think we may be encoutering some difficulty with a slight difference in understanding of english.

Sorry. I mistyped.

So stop reading the speculations and storieres stories.

Just now, Canoe said:

And if you weren't reading it, how wyould you know of those speculations and stores and be able to offer up possible explanations for them.

It's not interpretaiton, it's what you wrote.

> important to get the facts

Correct.

When did I offer up explanations for these speculations? You sir are confusing things. 

All right guys, time to stop replying to each other and carry on with the subject at hand, I feel like I just got the text version of this ;

spidey-001.jpg.5b83454d537e409d5e72a0b2fc4831c1.jpg

Edited by wkdpaul

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

Just now, wkdpaul said:

All right guys, time to stop replying to each other and carry on with the subject at hand, I feel like I just got the text version of this ;

spidey-001.jpg.5b83454d537e409d5e72a0b2fc4831c1.jpg

Thanks mod, just don't like being personally attacked or misconstrued..

8 minutes ago, nyichiban said:

Thanks mod, just don't like being personally attacked or misconstrued..

Then you think this happens, please use the report button. This will avoid long off-topic derails.

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

*** Thread cleaned ***

Ok people. This is very current issue and thread will continue to get a lot of attention. The discussion has been heated, and the staff monitoring it would appreciate few things. Besides the obvious ofc.

• Please use spoilers for big images, Reddit links etc which can take huge amounts of screen space. They are still there for people who are interested, and are just tad easier when someone quotes your post.
  • Please shorten long quotes. For the same reason as above. You can remove pictures and text you don't need. Or place it in spoiler as I have done while cleaning. You can also add "-snip-" or something else to say that quote has been shortened.
  • Please don't post multiple times in a row. Now, as this is constantly deveploping thing, I mainly mean that you don't post multiple times within very short time, like 30-60mins. Editing stuff in to previous post, or reporting it for merging, are good options.

None of these are against forum rules, but will improve life quality while reading the thread. Thank you for your understanding.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Article from several days ago about treatment in Thailand with positive results. https://www.ecowatch.com/coronavirus-treatment-thailand-doctors-2645011844.html?rebelltitem=3#rebelltitem3 

Not sure how accurate ecowatch site is but at least some form of hope for this epidemic to be controlled. 

That article is from Feb 3rd, more than a week ago. And the original Reuters is from Feb 2nd.

> From testing positive for 10 days under our care, after applying this combination of medicine the test result became negative within 48 hours,

> The drug treatment includes a mixture of anti-HIV drugs lopinavir and ritonavir, in combination with flu drug oseltamivir in large doses.

12 days, up to the 2nd, but Thailand has a huge rotation of Chinese tourists, many Chinese business men and some Chinese residents, so it was no surprise that they were one of the earliest countries reporting 2019-nCov cases.

And it was the week before the article that I read a number of researchers saying they either were or were going to be (don't remember which) testing HIV medications for possible effectiveness with 2019-nCov.

That would suggest the account is at least plausible.

Likely more articles or follow up on that article/treatment out there somewhere.

Where did you guys find that asian males are more at risk? Only article I found was from a site eturbonews which I can't really say I am confident is a reliable news outlet.

Before you reply to my post, REFRESH. 99.99% chance I edited my post. 

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

30 minutes ago, Mister Woof said:

Where did you guys find that asian males are more at risk? Only article I found was from a site eturbonews which I can't really say I am confident is a reliable news outlet.

Asian males are NOT more at risk. They might be, the virus ______ (using? something) that is present in higher numbers in the lung (lining/surface? maybe a surfactant?) of Asian males. (ARS2 rings a bell) So the researchers that discovered this said there might be an increased susceptibility. If so, it should only be for exposures where droplets made it to the lungs. I posted about this earlier in the thread - might be more of a clue in that.

I'll try to find the source later.

5 minutes ago, Canoe said:

Asian males are NOT more at risk. They might be, the virus ______ (using? something) that is present in higher numbers in the lung (lining/surface? maybe a surfactant?) of Asian males. (ARS2 rings a bell) So the researchers that discovered this said there might be an increased susceptibility. If so, it should only be for exposures where droplets made it to the lungs. I posted about this earlier in the thread - might be more of a clue in that.

I'll try to find the source later.

This is the only hit I found, but it doesn't add up even with the numbers released

https://www.eturbonews.com/542533/coronavirus-risk-for-asians-africans-caucasians-revealed/

Iirc officially only 15-20%(?) of wuhan infected were considered severe disease.

Before you reply to my post, REFRESH. 99.99% chance I edited my post. 

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

2 minutes ago, Mister Woof said:

This is the only hit I found, but it doesn't add up even with the numbers released...

Ah ha

That article sounds familiar, and it links to what must be the same original study my info came from.

Not ARS2, but ACE2.

https://doi.org/10.1101/2020.01.26.919985

Single-cell RNA expression profiling of ACE2, the putative receptor of Wuhan 2019-nCov

> A comparison between eight individual samples demonstrated that the Asian male one has an extremely large number of ACE2-expressing cells in the lung.

I haven't got time to read the study, but the researcher who referenced it stressed that it was a potential susceptibility that would need to be explored, but NOT proof of susceptibility. If you read the study and find any reference to susceptibility (or anything you find interesting...), please post back here.

Check the date - Posted January 26, 2020.

They're moving fast on all of this.