corona virus

Letgomyleghoe
Go to solution Solved by Letgomyleghoe,

ATTENTION: there is a covid 19 F@H event happening, you can find it HERE.

this is a good opportunity to help with research!

Message added by SansVarnic

Due to the nature of this topic, please keep cool heads and conversation On Topic.

Intentional Derailing, Political Rhetoric, or Arguing will result in removal of comments/replies and warnings issued.

The "No politics" rule will be enforced even harder. This will be last warning you get. If someone posts any political rhetoric (about parties, ideology, policy etc.), you will receive PM from moderator telling to step off the thread. As forum does not have functionality to do it better ways. If you continue to post ANYTHING after receiving PM, you will get warnings for not following staff instructions.

Posting news about what governments in your parts of world do in order to act on this crisis is fine, but will be looked case-by-case. (Updated 03/19/2020)

Remember the core values of this forum;

• Ensure a friendly atmosphere to our visitors and forum members.
  • Encourage the freedom of expression and exchange of information in a mature and responsible manner.
  • "Don't be a dick" - Wil Wheaton.
  • "Be excellent to each other" - Bill and Ted.
  • Remember your audience; both present and future.

This prepper/anti-vax dichotomy perplexes and fascinated me.  There’s most likely a common motivational thread.  If there is it means the motivations I’ve been given to attribute to both behaviors is wrong.  It’s not about safety. Because anti-vax is the opposite of safe. It’s not about feeling prepared, because anti-vax is lack of preparation, it’s about something else.  I don’t know what it is though.  One is likely a justification not a reason.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

3 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

This prepper/anti-vax dichotomy perplexes and fascinated me.  There’s most likely a common motivational thread.  If there is it means the motivations I’ve been given to attribute to both behaviors is wrong.  It’s not about safety. Because anti-vax is the opposite of safe. It’s not about feeling prepared, because anti-vax is lack of preparation, it’s about something else.  I don’t know what it is though.  One is likely a justification not a reason.

That's odd to paint those boundary boxes as if its so simple.  Im not an anti-vax, lol, with kids to prove it (as if I need to).  They also have only received MMR vaccine, because that math is to much in favor of eradication.  

Then you go into the psychological aspect as if an expert lol.  

inb4 this wasn't pointed towards me lol

Im out, this thread is 1/10 not worth my time.

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Wifes Rig: ASRock B550m Riptide, Ryzen 5 5600X, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker RAM, ARESGAME AGS 850w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750, 500gb Crucial m.2, DIYPC MA01-G case

My Rig: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Daughter 1 Rig: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper CL14 2666mhz RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case. 

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Daughter 2 Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury Tri-X, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case

On 2/4/2020 at 3:02 AM, Tristerin said:

There is no direct benefit for me to get a flu shot.  Not sure how to continue on this.

That's incorrect. As above, your direct benefit is limited, your major benefit is from enough other people getting their flu shot. #science

Your choice to turn down that limited benefit. You still get that major benefit, complements of those that did get their shot.

Latest updates, as of 9:40 pm EST, February 3, 2020.

Over 20,000 Confirmed cases.

Over 23,000 Suspected cases.

Over 43,000 Confirmed + Suspected cases.

From CNHC Update ...

• ...including current 2,788 severe cases and 425 deaths. 632 patients so far have recovered and have been released. There are a total of 23,214 suspected cases.
  • Currently, 221,015 close contacts have been followed-up, 12,755 was released from medical observation today and 171,329 are under medical observation.

In looking at the wording of the CHNC Update, it appears that Recovered (and released) will only include those who recovered in hospital. Those not in Hospital, all those mild symptom cases turned away, will not be in the Recovered numbers when they recover.???

Astounding to see those numbers for those released from medical observation in the past day, and those still under medical observation.

1939130409_2019-nCoVgraphConfirmedCasesWorldCases-2020-02-03.thumb.png.cd97907aca2c8664b19647ba57fc1eed.png

A report thought data indicated that there was not asympotomatic transmission. Bad news, there is.

the director of NIAID had said this before: “There’s no doubt after reading [the NEJM] paper that asymptomatic transmission is occurring,” director of the U.S. National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, told journalists. “This study lays the question to rest.”

22 minutes ago, Canoe said:

A report thought data indicated that there was not asympotomatic transmission. Bad news, there is.

So unknowing typhoid marys. Wonderful.  All those “stop everyone getting off the plane” people just got vindicated.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

On 2/4/2020 at 3:02 AM, Tristerin said:

There is no direct benefit for me to get a flu shot.  Not sure how to continue on this.

Dude, You're not alone. I haven't had the flu in 8 years and never once a Flu shot.

This the Corona Virus thread. It's here in Chicago and I gotta read you guys bitching about flu shots.

On 2/4/2020 at 7:11 AM, Bombastinator said:

So unknowing typhoid marys. Wonderful.  All those “stop everyone getting off the plane” people just got vindicated.

I was watching this one particular video where there's no mention of the Virus in South America or Africa.

Either they have no way to detect it, it's not being reported or the least likely is not there at all. 

The bad part about this is if they detection rate is really that slow in SouthAmerica for example, it'll be a very bad situation.

1 minute ago, ShrimpBrime said:

I was watching this one particular video where there's no mention of the Virus in South America or Africa.

Either they have no way to detect it, it's not being reported or the least likely is not there at all. 

The bad part about this is if they detection rate is really that slow in SouthAmerica for example, it'll be a very bad situation.

Could be.  I’m hoping a vaccine gets created and distributed.  The slower this can be made to go the better.

Just now, Bombastinator said:

Could be.  I’m hoping a vaccine gets created and distributed.  The slower this can be made to go the better.

A vaccine for a Virus we've never encountered could take months to years. That's the part why it becomes a pandemic.

Needless to say, I've already started stocking food here. I'm not trusting this virus. It's a nasty one. We have no ammo against it.

1 hour ago, Bombastinator said:

Nothing changed, really. Asymptomatic Transmission was how the data appeared from at least ~Jan 21st-ish. And the various protocols from multiple jurisdictions reflected that.

The report suggested otherwise; that would have been new, and "vindicated" those who "didn't believe in" Asymptomatic Transmission. Like a number of studies scrambling to find out what they can about 2019-nCoV, from genome through to "whatever can we measure or quantify", done ASAP in order to find as many pieces of the puzzle as soon as possible, to maximize detection, treatments and preventative measures. That has lead to some rushed findings in a number of cases. This was one such, a finding that claimed to counter "Asymptomatic Transmission", but has been corrected. It's embarrassing for those publishing that and other findings, but it is more important to correct as soon as known. Which it was. Researchers move forward with various findings with various confidence levels tied to them.

So far, no super-spreaders like was seen with SARS. However, there have been a few super-spreading events, like some staff in Wuhan hospitals, and a suspected large dinner event in Wuhan that is also suspected of being a super-spreading event.

"stop everyone getting off the plane" is just a cute phrase for the fact that there has to be protocols for dealing with a defined risk. It's just a proper control to route certain traffic to known locations that operate with advanced protocols, easier to monitor compliance with such protocols, and such protocols can quickly be disseminated for compliance as better data leads to better protocols.

6 hours ago, Canoe said:

Those not in Hospital, all those mild symptom cases turned away, will not be in the Recovered numbers when they recover.???

How can they if they have not been tested, hence not confirmed as being official cases...

Read the article I've pasted earlier. It's quite enlightening on that precise subject.

18 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

Good - it annoys me when so many people skip it.

Sure it's not 100% effective (this year we're at about 60% effective) - but even if it doesn't prevent it entirely, it will limit severity and significantly reduce the time it affects you.

Plus people act like the Flu is harmless, despite the fact that something like 8500 Americans died from it last year.

ive defeated every flu ive gotten in 1-2 days and im scared of needles and would rather get the flu for a day or so

Just now, spartaman64 said:

ive defeated every flu ive gotten in 1-2 days and im scared of needles and would rather get the flu for a day or so

If you "defeated" flu in 2-3 days, you probably never had the flu. Severe symptoms might subside in 2-3 days, but it typically takes 1-2 weeks overall.

What were your symptoms?

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Just now, dalekphalm said:

If you "defeated" flu in 2-3 days, you probably never had the flu. Severe symptoms might subside in 2-3 days, but it typically takes 1-2 weeks overall.

What were your symptoms?

fever coughing etc

Mortality Rate

The following is a summary of Chinese National Health Commission news conference about susceptibility and mortality rate on February 4, 2020 [2]. The youngest patient is a 1-month-old newborn and the oldest is over 90. The mortality rate calculation is based on confirmed cases and it is likely that many non-severe cases are not diagnosed and considered for this calculation.

• The mortality rate in mainland China overall is 2.1%.
  • Hubei Province accounts for 97% deaths with a rate of 3.1%.
  • Wuhan city accounts for 74% deaths with a rate of 4.9%.
  • The mortality rate in mainland China excluding Hubei Province is 0.16%.

Susceptible

• Males account for 2/3 of deaths.
  • 80% deaths are over 60 years old.
  • Over 75% deaths occurred with one or more comorbidities, including cardiovascular diseases, diabetes and tumors.

One of the reasons for the high mortality rate in Wuhan city is that there were only 110 beds from three designated hospitals during the early stage of this epidemic and a large number of severe cases were handled in non-designated hospitals.

8 minutes ago, spartaman64 said:

fever coughing etc

Yeah sounds like you just had a cold. That seems more likely than having the flu for only 2-3 days.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Depends on which flu. Some symptom periods are as short as 24 hours.

24 minutes ago, Canoe said:

Mortality Rate

So according to official Chinese government numbers (and it must be noted that the Chinese government is the Chinese government) more or less a bad but not super bad flu.  Swine flu was more dangerous.  There are some differences in that unless/until a vaccine is developed it is hard to protect old people.  If they get a vaccine developed and keep on it the way they keep on influenza vaccine just making it part of the yearly vaccine regimen should do it.  For people outside affected area(s?) All that has to be done is slow the thing down enough to make time to ready protective measures.  The hysteria is causing more problems than the disease, possibly even in Wuhan.  Assuming Chinese government numbers are accurate.

The big question for purposes of this forum outside of humanitarian stuff which I am not discounting, if/how this will affect computer parts supply. 

9 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

So according to official Chinese government numbers (and it must be noted that the Chinese government is the Chinese government) more or less a bad but not super bad flu.  Swine flu was more dangerous. ...

Too early to say.

From the last snapshot, there were 20,589 Confirmed cases, 2,788 of them in China are currently classed as Severe.

We only know the outcome of some of those Confirmed cases. 19,510 (95%), are unresolved.

Because the majority of Global Cases are in China, although the interim data for today looks improved, we need to wait for the CNHC's daily update. And we need a lot more resolved cases before we can have any confidence in what a final Mortality Rate may look like.

https://www.businessinsider.com/wuhan-coronavirus-racism-asians-experience-fears-outbreak-2020-1

Anyone experience any of this?

I'm an American of Chinese descent, and I've experienced some level of apprehension whenever I cough or sneeze, but I'm not certain if it completely goes above the normal level of people afraid of sick people.

I have allergies and it is windy right now, so I have been sniffling more.

Before you reply to my post, REFRESH. 99.99% chance I edited my post. 

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

8 minutes ago, Mister Woof said:

I'm an American of Chinese descent, and I've experienced some level of apprehension whenever I cough or sneeze, but I'm not certain if it completely goes above the normal level of people afraid of sick people.

I have allergies and it is windy right now, so I have been sniffling more.

no but where i work we're in contact with people and one of my co-workers has been coughing really bad and weezing and its giving me little anxiety ?

it's a virus, it doesn't discriminate (race wise, not including imuno-comprimised), everyones  at equal risk, so everyone should be treated with equal caution.

AMD blackout rig

cpu: ryzen 5 3600 @4.4ghz @1.35v

gpu: rx5700xt 2200mhz

ram: vengeance lpx c15 3200mhz

mobo: gigabyte b550 auros pro 

psu: cooler master mwe 650w

case: masterbox mbx520

fans:Noctua industrial 3000rpm x6

2 minutes ago, scuff gang said:

no but where i work we're in contact with people and one of my co-workers has been coughing really bad and weezing and its giving me little anxiety ?

Got a weird and possibly extreme hack: hepa respirator.  My sister has massive dust allergies so I bought one for her so she could clean her house.  Works a treat.  I’ve got pollen allergies so when it’s hay fever season I run a big hepa air filter in the house and it reduces annoyance without me having to resort to antihistamines.

9 minutes ago, Mister Woof said:

* snip *

yup, wife is Chinese, her parents are permanent residents and here in Canada.

My wife accompanied her mom to the hospital for an appointment she had (the appointment is for something minor and was scheduled before all this coronavirus stuff, so not related at all).

My mother in law was wearing a mask in the metro, people were actually scared and wouldn't sit or stand near my wife and her mom. My wife thought it was hilarious though!

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

On 2/4/2020 at 8:12 PM, Bombastinator said:

Got a weird and possibly extreme hack: hepa respirator.  My sister has massive dust allergies so I bought one for her so she could clean her house.  Works a treat.  I’ve got pollen allergies so when it’s hay fever season I run a big hepa air filter in the house and it reduces annoyance without me having to resort to antihistamines.

yeah the problem with that is i cant where a respirator at work, i have a few from removing abestos from ceilings and when i was struggling with sawdust from cutting wood for my deck. maybe if the panic kicks up i notch i might be able to ?

ive just been making sure i dont touch my face or ears without washing my hands

On 2/4/2020 at 8:12 PM, wkdpaul said:

My mother in law was wearing a mask in the metro, people were actually scared and wouldn't sit or stand near my wife and her mom. My wife thought it was hilarious though!

dang thats kinda sad that people instantly think that she might have wuhan, i wonder if it's a race thing %100.

personally I get a lil paranoid and will move away whenever I see someone in a mask, doesnt matter if theyre old, young, hot, etc, i dont care and i will be moving away ?

AMD blackout rig

cpu: ryzen 5 3600 @4.4ghz @1.35v

gpu: rx5700xt 2200mhz

ram: vengeance lpx c15 3200mhz

mobo: gigabyte b550 auros pro 

psu: cooler master mwe 650w

case: masterbox mbx520

fans:Noctua industrial 3000rpm x6

19 minutes ago, scuff gang said:

it's a virus, it doesn't discriminate (race wise, not including imuno-comprimised), everyones  at equal risk, so everyone should be treated with equal caution.

Some days ago they released that 2019-nCoV has some affinity for a specific receptor in the lung surface. It was also said that asian males have around double the usual number of that receptor in their lungs.

On 2/4/2020 at 8:12 PM, wkdpaul said:

yup, wife is Chinese, her parents are permanent residents and here in Canada.

My wife accompanied her mom to the hospital for an appointment she had (the appointment is for something minor and was scheduled before all this coronavirus stuff, so not related at all).

Let's hope it doesn't extend to anything more severe than apprehension.

I've read some stories of physical attacks, but maybe one of the worst are the Chinese businesses. Many of these restaurants are small family business and essentially live month to month.

A few months of no business will bjry them. Meanwhile many of these people can't afford a day off, let alone time to go to china.

On 2/4/2020 at 8:31 PM, Canoe said:

Some days ago they released that 2019-nCoV has some affinity for a specific receptor in the lung surface. It was also said that asian males have around double the usual number of that receptor in their lungs.

I have controlled HTN and DM2 on top of being asian.

This virus has me pretty much scared shitless.

My son also has asthma. So yeah.

Before you reply to my post, REFRESH. 99.99% chance I edited my post. 

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x