corona virus

Letgomyleghoe
Go to solution Solved by Letgomyleghoe,

ATTENTION: there is a covid 19 F@H event happening, you can find it HERE.

this is a good opportunity to help with research!

Message added by SansVarnic

Due to the nature of this topic, please keep cool heads and conversation On Topic.

Intentional Derailing, Political Rhetoric, or Arguing will result in removal of comments/replies and warnings issued.

The "No politics" rule will be enforced even harder. This will be last warning you get. If someone posts any political rhetoric (about parties, ideology, policy etc.), you will receive PM from moderator telling to step off the thread. As forum does not have functionality to do it better ways. If you continue to post ANYTHING after receiving PM, you will get warnings for not following staff instructions.

Posting news about what governments in your parts of world do in order to act on this crisis is fine, but will be looked case-by-case. (Updated 03/19/2020)

Remember the core values of this forum;

• Ensure a friendly atmosphere to our visitors and forum members.
  • Encourage the freedom of expression and exchange of information in a mature and responsible manner.
  • "Don't be a dick" - Wil Wheaton.
  • "Be excellent to each other" - Bill and Ted.
  • Remember your audience; both present and future.

https://abc7ny.com/health/100-princeton-students-in-self-isolation-amid-coronavirus-scare/5901053/

When was the last time you could trust 100 college kids to do ANYTHING

Before you reply to my post, REFRESH. 99.99% chance I edited my post. 

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

3 minutes ago, Tristerin said:

I never get it, never get the flu either.  Its free for me yearly.  

Ask me why?

Simple, every year the flu vaccine gets had by the 50 office personnel where I work - every year either all of them fake some sort of flu throughout the season, or they actually get it.  Either way, it doesn't work because its based on last years strain that has since mutated.

You can quote whatever CDC numbers you want, I disbelieve 99% of what the government tells me, and the only real examples I have are the ones experienced)

It has nothing to do with me being a carrier or not, it has to do with the fact that each year the vaccine is based on last years strain which has since mutated....this happens every year.  I see no good coming out of putting a slurry of chemicals and dead virus' in my body, nor can I correlate any proof that it benefits...anyone.

I would say that the weak and infirm should not be up and out in public when the flu virus and its ilk are on the rise.  Makes no sense (to me) if I was able to get sick and potentially die why I would even come close to putting myself in those situations.  It sound callous but hard truths usually are.  To me the freedom to be out in public also comes with some onus to a persons own interest.  Don't go to a smoking area in the public park and complain someones smoking.

Flu vaccines work even if they’re last years strain. They don’t work perfectly is all.  You might get the flu but you’re a pile less likely to, and if you do it is much less likely to kill you.
Do they work 100%? No.  80% is still awesome though.

im really hoping the get a decent corona virus vaccine out of this.  Still sucks that it’s killing people and it’s kind of ass as a silver lining, but it’s not nothing.  Would it keep me from getting corona virus if I get exposed? Maybe not, but it will very likely reduce the chances that it kills me if I do.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Just now, Tristerin said:

I never get it, never get the flu either.  Its free for me yearly.  

Okay... that's like saying just because you never get into an accident, you shouldn't wear a seatbelt. Sure it won't save you 100% of the time, but it does increase your survival rate and lessen injuries.

Ask me why?

Simple, every year the flu vaccine gets had by the 50 office personnel where I work - every year either all of them fake some sort of flu throughout the season, or they actually get it.  Either way, it doesn't work because its based on last years strain that has since mutated.

So you don't get the flu because a bunch of your coworkers abuse company policy and fake getting the flu?

Furthermore, some of them will have gotten the flu - as I said, it's about 60% effective. If 100 people get the vaccine, 40 will still get the flu (all things being equal).

Further to that, the flu has an incubation period - plenty of people get the vaccine but too late - they had the flu before getting the shot, but simply hadn't shown any symptoms yet.

You can quote whatever CDC numbers you want, I disbelieve 99% of what the government tells me, and the only real examples I have are the ones experienced)

I'm not even American, so I don't really care about the CDC. But flu efficacy can be found from multiple different scientific and government sources. There's no global conspiracy about flu vaccines.

It has nothing to do with me being a carrier or not, it has to do with the fact that each year the vaccine is based on last years strain which has since mutated....this happens every year.  I see no good coming out of putting a slurry of chemicals and dead virus' in my body, nor can I correlate any proof that it benefits...anyone.

It's actually not based on last years strain. It's based on "best guess" which strain will be most prevalent next year. This is often based off of the previous years strain, but sometimes is totally different.

I would say that the weak and infirm should not be up and out in public when the flu virus and its ilk are on the rise.

Easy to say - but that's not practical for every person - unless you're prepared for the government to fully pay for their care and isolation during every flu season (which seems unlikely, as I believe you're pro Small Government, yes?).

Basically the government would have to supplement the income of people (or force mandatory sick pay for 2+ weeks from employers) who had to take time off due to getting sick or the risk of getting the flu.

Makes no sense (to me) if I was able to get sick and potentially die why I would even come close to putting myself in those situations.

This is why everyone else should get the Flu - because an immunocompromised person can't just hide out for weeks or months on end during the flu season.

It sound callous but hard truths usually are.  To me the freedom to be out in public also comes with some onus to a persons own interest.  Don't go to a smoking area in the public park and complain someones smoking.

Not the same thing as someone going into a smoking area and complaining.

If you're at risk and cannot get the flu shot, you may not have a choice as to whether you need to go to the grocery store to buy food, or whatever the case might be.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

On 2/4/2020 at 12:25 AM, Bombastinator said:

80% is still awesome though.

80% isn't bad odds in a bet at all.  If I believed it.  I tend to go off experience over espoused anything in life.  And as the guy monitoring 50 peoples times at work, and Im the only guy that doesn't get the flu every season - either they all lie about being sick (obviously some) or the "odds" are really actually bad and only affective against....last years strain should you come in contact with it.

On 2/4/2020 at 12:25 AM, Bombastinator said:
On 2/4/2020 at 12:29 AM, dalekphalm said:

it's about 60% effective. 

80% is still awesome though.

This is why I don't believe my government either gentlemen - everyone thinks they are in the know (myself included) but in reality we can only gauge what we have witnessed, experienced - the rest is TRUST or FAITH in the message being delivered (and I don't trust my Gov, the CDC, etc as much as I don't trust China to report out actual numbers on this virus within subject)

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Wifes Rig: ASRock B550m Riptide, Ryzen 5 5600X, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker RAM, ARESGAME AGS 850w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750, 500gb Crucial m.2, DIYPC MA01-G case

My Rig: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Daughter 1 Rig: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper CL14 2666mhz RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case. 

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Daughter 2 Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury Tri-X, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case

This is why I don't believe my government either gentlemen - everyone thinks they are in the know (myself included) but in reality we can only gauge what we have witnessed, experienced - the rest is TRUST or FAITH in the message being delivered (and I don't trust my Gov, the CDC, etc as much as I don't trust China to report out actual numbers on this virus within subject)

Even if it was 25% effective, why wouldn't you get it anyway? Literally even if it was 10% effective, there'd still be no reason to avoid the flu shot.

I'm assuming you're not an anti-vaxxer and thus don't believe the nonsense myths about the flu shot - therefore why not get it anyway?

You talk about being a prepper and making sure that things are in your favour if at all possible - you're being negligent in that regard by not getting the Flu shot even if it's not "highly" effective.

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

1 minute ago, Tristerin said:

80% isn't bad odds in a bet at all.  If I believed it.  I tend to go off experience over espoused anything in life.  And as the guy monitoring 50 peoples times at work, and Im the only guy that doesn't get the flu every season - either they all lie about being sick (obviously some) or the "odds" are really actually bad and only affective against....last years strain should you come in contact with it.

Ok, so you’re unprotected and I am.  You get the disease get really sick give it to me, I fight it off and watch you die while sniffling.  I don’t particularly want to do that.  The hell with the sniffling. It’s the dying that irritates me and I don’t even know you.  There are certainly people that do.  Do it for them.  Make yourself less likely to bring home something nasty from work.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

@dalekphalm @Bombastinator

A lot of posts flying so Ill keep it simple

We all have choices in life.  Its not my fault someone cant stay tucked away from society for a month or more if needed.  The choices they make have landed them in that position.  I make a lot of hard choices and work my ass off to give myself that option if ever needed.  So I don't care if they don't have that choice, they took other choices instead.  If I get the flu, that is the bed I have to sleep in and sleep in it I will.  

In the end Ill stick with this - one said 60% and one said 80% within moments of each other - that's exactly what I am talking about when I say - you have no idea how effective it is, nor do I.  So you believe what you want, and I will choose to believe what my eyes and ears show me.

I read everything that was typed, but Im not going to touch on the emotional parts that have so much passion in them.  Be passionate, but Im not wrong either (you aren't either, its choice). 

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Wifes Rig: ASRock B550m Riptide, Ryzen 5 5600X, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker RAM, ARESGAME AGS 850w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750, 500gb Crucial m.2, DIYPC MA01-G case

My Rig: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Daughter 1 Rig: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper CL14 2666mhz RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case. 

Daughter 2 Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury Tri-X, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case

On 2/4/2020 at 12:43 AM, Tristerin said:

Spoiler

We all have choices in life.  Its not my fault someone cant stay tucked away from society for a month or more if needed.  The choices they make have landed them in that position.  I make a lot of hard choices and work my ass off to give myself that option if ever needed.  So I don't care if they don't have that choice, they took other choices instead.  If I get the flu, that is the bed I have to sleep in and sleep in it I will.  

In the end Ill stick with this - one said 60% and one said 80% within moments of each other - that's exactly what I am talking about when I say - you have no idea how effective it is, nor do I.  So you believe what you want, and I will choose to believe what my eyes and ears show me.

I read everything that was typed, but Im not going to touch on the emotional parts that have so much passion in them.  Be passionate, but Im not wrong either (you aren't either, its choice

Fault.

So the prepping thing isn’t about how you like to to prepping stuff?

The whole prepper/anti Vaxer thing isn’t something I’ve run into before.  Sort of a dichotomy.

Ill have to think about what drives something like that.  

On 2/4/2020 at 12:30 AM, Tristerin said:

Do I believe the government totally? No.  Things aren’t binary. 

The existence of truth does not make a liar not a liar, and the existence of falsehood does not fully contaminate.  Or maybe it does, but total lack of contamination is unfindable.  If something is 90% full of bad and 10% full of good vs something that is 90% full of good and 10% full of bad. One is clearly more helpful than the other.  Choose neither? Sure.  If it’s an option.  It often isn’t though.

Edited by LogicalDrm

@Tristerin  you remind of dwight from the office, try to prepare yourself for everything and think you have the skills to survive, but you wont do the simple thing and get a flu shot "because its for last years strain."

there's nothing wrong with being prepared, but not getting vaccinated and being a contributor to the end of herd immunization is what ticks me off.

AMD blackout rig

cpu: ryzen 5 3600 @4.4ghz @1.35v

gpu: rx5700xt 2200mhz

ram: vengeance lpx c15 3200mhz

mobo: gigabyte b550 auros pro 

psu: cooler master mwe 650w

case: masterbox mbx520

fans:Noctua industrial 3000rpm x6

On 2/4/2020 at 12:43 AM, Tristerin said:

Spoiler

I read everything that was typed, but Im not going to touch on the emotional parts that have so much passion in them.  Be passionate, but Im not wrong either (you aren't either, its choice). 

I just don't understand how you can come to the conclusion that you're not going to bother with the Flu shot, when you've said that you try to make sure everything is skewed in your favour. By not getting the shot, you're literally doing the opposite of what you claim you prep for.

Disclaimer: I have no qualms about you being a prepper - if shit really did hit the fan, you'd be more prepared than most. So just because you do that, I don't lump you in with nutbars that destroy themselves financially because of an unseated paranoia over a nuclear war or something.

My point still stands - ultimately it doesn't matter if the efficacy of the flu shot is 40% or 60% or 80%.

The risk to yourself is essentially zero - most people get a sore arm for a few hours at most. A tiny percentage might have an allergic reaction, which usually happens within 15 minutes of the shot, and can be treated - those people should avoid shots in the future for medical reasons. There's no known cases of a flu shot killing a person - but the flu kills people every year.

Aside from all of that, if you happen to catch the flu and spread it, despite there being a readily available shot for it? It just makes no sense.

Not everything is about personal freedom. Some things we do because they are in society's best interest and because there's essentially no downside to you.

Aside from all of that, half of your coworkers who "have the flu" probably just got a common cold and don't know any better (or say it's the flu to milk more sympathy).

Edited by LogicalDrm

On 2/4/2020 at 1:20 AM, scuff gang said:

@Tristerin  you remind of dwight from the office, try to prepare yourself for everything and think you have the skills to survive, but you wont do the simple thing and get a flu shot "because its for last years strain."

there's nothing wrong with being prepared, but not getting vaccinated and being a contributor to the end of herd immunization is what ticks me off.

This years vaccine information is actually already posted by the CDC, its broad range of "effectiveness" is 40-60% effective.  Bad odds.  And actually LESS effective this year against other strains in the past (A/H3N2).

I prefer not taking in any chemicals intravenously that I don't have to.

I also have a PC named Dwight and another named Schrute :)

I also don't think I have the skills, I hone them.  I practice them, and put them into use as needed.  Can prove it too if I absolutely have to but Im not here to talk about me and what I train/own/do and can prove.  Just take it at face value, I have done enough research with people far more intelligent than I and this is the conclusion I have come to:

I am not harming anyone by not getting this ineffective shot.  I am not any more a carrier of this disease as someone who has gotten the shot.

I am so amazed that no one googles "If you get the flu vaccine can you still be a carrier" - because you will realize you ARE a carrier still...you JUST MIGHT have a less chance of carrying it.  

#science.

So, thinking I am some lesser than you because you get a shot is laughable (talking to the crowd here).  You actually are likely a carrier and I am not (that's how accurate either of our data is).

EDIT - stayed way to late at work, heading home can chat more later tonight  :)

Edited by LogicalDrm

2 minutes ago, Tristerin said:

This years vaccine information is actually already posted by the CDC, its broad range of "effectiveness" is 40-60% effective.  Bad odds.  And actually LESS effective this year against other strains in the past (A/H3N2).

40-60% aren't bad odds, they're "alright" odds. Aside from that, there's essentially no harm, and significant benefit from getting the shot.

I prefer not taking in any chemicals intravenously that I don't have to.

Why do chemicals scare you? Everything is a chemical, including the water you drink.

I also have a PC named Dwight and another named Schrute :)

I also don't think I have the skills, I hone them.  I practice them, and put them into use as needed.  Can prove it too if I absolutely have to but Im not here to talk about me and what I train/own/do and can prove.  Just take it at face value, I have done enough research with people far more intelligent than I and this is the conclusion I have come to:

I am not harming anyone by not getting this ineffective shot.  I am not any more a carrier of this disease as someone who has gotten the shot.

You certainly could be harming others if you're a carrier or if you straight up just get the flu. Getting the shot will reduce the chances that you'll catch it to begin with, and even if you do catch it, you'll be sick for a shorter period, thus lowering the risk of passing it to others.

I am so amazed that no one googles "If you get the flu vaccine can you still be a carrier" - because you will realize you ARE a carrier still...you JUST MIGHT have a less chance of carrying it.  

#science.

If you have the flu shot, your chances of being a carrier are significantly reduced. About 20-30% of those with the flu show no symptoms. Those people are carriers. The flu shot itself does not inherently make you a carrier.

I just don't understand why anyone would not get it, given that there are basically no downsides to getting it (outside of the incredibly tiny amount of people with allergies to something in the shot, who actually benefit from you getting it to help protect them).

#science.

Do you even know what a carrier is? 

Fyi: a carrier is someone who is not affected by the symptoms of a pathogen, but is still infected with it. Although unaffected the carrier can still transmit the pathogen.

We were not saying you are a carrier and you are clearly not familiar with this term. 

I recomend if you are triggered to not respond to this thread instead of causing drama, I prefer not to respond to triggered people as I have enough stress in my own life, but a little bit of education was needed in this instance.

AMD blackout rig

cpu: ryzen 5 3600 @4.4ghz @1.35v

gpu: rx5700xt 2200mhz

ram: vengeance lpx c15 3200mhz

mobo: gigabyte b550 auros pro 

psu: cooler master mwe 650w

case: masterbox mbx520

fans:Noctua industrial 3000rpm x6

7 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

I think that might apply if one lived in Wuhan.   Just about anywhere else in the world it probably doesn’t though.  The impression I got from the last post by @Canoe is things are starting to even out a bit which gives me hope.

Don't put too much in that. Still very early for those numbers.

• Latest: Deaths:Recovered, 426:536, 1.26, close to 4:5, but Deaths went up, Recovered hasn't changed. May be that value hasn't updated yet. Or no one else Recovered.
  • It's early, so Death & Recovered values will be going up, most likely on the Recovered side, but we're not sure of the ratio yet.
    • That tiny swing towards 2:3, well, 2:3 against the latest Confirmed of over 19,000, that would forecast ~7,600 dead.
    • 4:5 would forecast ~8,444 dead.
    • By all appearances, 2019-nCoV is a prolonged illness, so hopefully (and most likely) this is the delay before Recovered starts climbing significantly.
    • If they start climbing into a significant % of Confirmed, keeping anywhere near those ratios, then there's real trouble.
  • From the one Hospital's early data (%10 of hospitalized sample died), 10% of the last (and highest) Severe number of 2296 would be 229 deaths.
    • We're past that, nearly double.
    • A very rough estimate, from Deaths @10%, is 4260 would match that 99 Pt. sample from one hospital; as in, at least 4,260 should have been hospitalized.

30 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

40-60% aren't bad odds, they're "alright" odds

You certainly could be harming others

there are basically no downsides to getting it 

As a fighter, those are bad odds.  Id rather build my immune system naturally like I do, it works because I don't get sick - and my sample base is my workplace not someone telling me how to respond.

Certainly and Could Be cannot be in the same sentence when you are trying to be definitive - if you don't have data Im not sure other than your opinion (which was wrong at 60% earlier) where this is coming from so as a source shouldn't be, technically, taken.

"basically" is how my brother with a 160+ IQ starts a sentence where basically is not how it works at all.  So you "basically" only think its people with allergies that can get something from this chemical slurry.  You can opine that, believe it, and love it.  I don't buy it at all.  

34 minutes ago, scuff gang said:

Do you even know what a carrier is? 

Fyi: a carrier is someone who is not affected by the symptoms of a pathogen, but is still infected with it. Although unaffected the carrier can still transmit the pathogen.

We were not saying you are a carrier and you are clearly not familiar with this term. 

I recomend if you are triggered to not respond to this thread instead of causing drama, I prefer not to respond to triggered people as I have enough stress in my own life, but a little bit of education was needed in this instance.

Yes, everything is definable. 

You, are taking offense assuming I wouldn't be familiar with something so trivial.  Only someone hoping to cause offense would say that, but you failed.

I now have to laugh - WTF education are you talking about.  You didn't educate at all.  You questioned my knowledge then assume I know nothing on that subject.  Good job broseph.  And you managed to say all that (non educational stuff that you then claim it educational) and assume Im triggered.

Im no Trump fan but this face feels appropriate:

eeeeeehhhhhhhh.jpg

On 2/4/2020 at 2:31 AM, Tristerin said:
Spoiler

As a fighter, those are bad odds.  Id rather build my immune system naturally like I do, it works because I don't get sick - and my sample base is my workplace not someone telling me how to respond.

Certainly and Could Be cannot be in the same sentence when you are trying to be definitive - if you don't have data Im not sure other than your opinion (which was wrong at 60% earlier) where this is coming from so as a source shouldn't be, technically, taken.

"basically" is how my brother with a 160+ IQ starts a sentence where basically is not how it works at all.  So you "basically" only think its people with allergies that can get something from this chemical slurry.  You can opine that, believe it, and love it.  I don't buy it at all.  

Yes, everything is definable. 

You, are taking offense assuming I wouldn't be familiar with something so trivial.  Only someone hoping to cause offense would say that, but you failed.

I now have to laugh - WTF education are you talking about.  You didn't educate at all.  You questioned my knowledge then assume I know nothing on that subject.  Good job broseph.  And you managed to say all that (non educational stuff that you then claim it educational) and assume Im triggered.

Im no Trump fan but this face feels appropriate:

Re: “ it works because I don’t get sick” haven’t gotten sick yet.  I used to be that way.  My immune system is pretty strong.  I still get sick less than people my age. You’re aging though. Older people get sick more, and when they do it’s more dangerous for them.

re: IQ, and basically

ive never been impressed by IQ.  It’s a test of questionable value which mostly measures how well one takes the test.  For one thing it’s not supposed to change.  I got tested in the 160s in elementary school.  By high school it was mid 140s,  the last one I took ~30 years later out put me ten points lower yet.  The test is flawed somehow.  I don’t know how exactly, but it doesn’t test what it thinks it does.

Basically means an attempt to simplify.  Are there personal down sides? Minor ones.  Contracting the disease from it really isn’t one though. You can be mildly uncomfortable for a couple of days.  If a person has a wildly weak immune system and it’s a weakened live agent, even the weakened bug can overwhelm the nearly non existent immune system of the recipient and actually cause the disease. Which almost certainly would have outright killed them had they contracted it.  So even though they got the disease the vaccination still saved their life.  The benefits for everyone around them are massive.  The vaccinated person become less dangerous to others as they can no longer harbor the disease.  So “basically” yes.  Unless you’re not willing to put up with an achey are just so the people around you are in less danger.

Edited by LogicalDrm

38 minutes ago, Tristerin said:

#science.

Given your interest in #science, do some research on how the herd benefit weighs in.

Having the flu, or other vaccine, usually does not mean you won't catch ______. It means you're less likely to. Usually better than 50%, often much better. If the vaccine means fewer people in the population catch it, that means the rate of it spreading around is reduced. Get that R0 reduced enough, under 1, and you're doing well. The other way? Well, 2019-nCoV has an R0 above 1, likely 2 to 5 by various calculations. 4.2 was the latest credible I saw.

If you get the flu vaccine and a new flu comes along and infects you, well, at least its less likely to be at the same time that you were and/or are already weakened by a flu you were protected against. Same benefit for the population; hits less hard than it would have.

1 minute ago, Bombastinator said:

Re: “ it works because I don’t get sick” haven’t gotten sick yet.  I used to be that way.  My immune system is pretty strong.  I still get sick less than people my age. You’re aging though. Older people get sick more, and when they do it’s more dangerous for them.

100% as I get to the point *I* need, or someone I care more deeply for than that chemical slurry in my veins needs me to get that shot - I will.  Im not inhumane to them, nor am I looking to die early.  Until I have that episode Im unlikely to change.

Example - my first hemorrhoid (love sharing this story) - I used to dip, and for me that was where "I got my vegetables".  Stopped that a long time ago but turns out, as I age, ye ole colon isn't as robust as he used to be.  So now, and since, I eat huge quantities of vegetables instead of pizza and steak (as much pizza and steak).  

2 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

...Plus people act like the Flu is harmless, despite the fact that something like 8500 Americans died from it last year.

Hitting harder. Over 10,000 died so far this flu season in the U.S..

Plus February is the worst month, and we've just started it.

1 minute ago, Canoe said:

Given your interest in #science, do some research on how the herd benefit weighs in.

Having the flu, or other vaccine, usually does not mean you won't catch ______. It means you're less likely to. Usually better than 50%, often much better. If the vaccine means fewer people in the population catch it, that means the rate of it spreading around is reduced. Get that R0 reduced enough, under 1, and you're doing well. The other way? Well, 2019-nCoV has an R0 above 1, likely 2 to 5 by various calculations. 4.2 was the latest credible I saw.

If you get the flu vaccine and a new flu comes along and infects you, well, at least its less likely to be at the same time that you were and/or are already weakened by a flu you were protected against. Same benefit for the population; hits less hard than it would have.

Herd benefit, to the guy who is going to hole himself away till this blows over - come now!  Herd mentality is ridiculous.  Its as atrocious as Democracy.  Its a lethal weapon in the wrong emotion hands.

Now I get what you are saying (math is math) - but as a species we sure aren't having an extinction issue either.  

I also don't go into STL even though its 50 miles from me, because mathematically speaking, Im more likely to get shot in that City than any other City in the US.  

#murdercityUSA

Heres reality, this same "herd" you speak of (go outside, do a 360 degree rotation) doesn't care about you, or me.  This herd, if it weren't for laws - would take anything and everything from you unless you could stop them with violence.  Thankfully we have laws that keep *most* people between the fenceposts of civility.  So I don't believe doing something for this herd is in my best interest if it affects my best interests.

37 minutes ago, Canoe said:

Don't put too much in that. Still very early for those numbers.

• Latest: Deaths:Recovered, 426:536, 1.26, close to 4:5, but Deaths went up, Recovered hasn't changed. May be that value hasn't updated yet. Or no one else Recovered.
  • It's early, so Death & Recovered values will be going up, most likely on the Recovered side, but we're not sure of the ratio yet.
    • That tiny swing towards 2:3, well, 2:3 against the latest Confirmed of over 19,000, that would forecast ~7,600 dead.
    • 4:5 would forecast ~8,444 dead.

And numbers updated.

CNHC:

... 2,788 severe cases and 425 deaths. 632 patients so far have recovered and have been released. There are a total of 23,214 suspected cases.

1.48, ~= 2:3

15 minutes ago, Tristerin said:

100% as I get to the point *I* need, or someone I care more deeply for than that chemical slurry in my veins needs me to get that shot - I will.  Im not inhumane to them, nor am I looking to die early.  Until I have that episode Im unlikely to change.

Example - my first hemorrhoid (love sharing this story) - I used to dip, and for me that was where "I got my vegetables".  Stopped that a long time ago but turns out, as I age, ye ole colon isn't as robust as he used to be.  So now, and since, I eat huge quantities of vegetables instead of pizza and steak (as much pizza and steak).  

You already have chemical slurry in your beings.  Blood is chemical slurry.  Food is chemical slurry.  Air is chemical slurry.  You and I are chemical slurry.  Everything is made of chemicals.  The implication though is what you are talking about is “bad” chemical slurry, so what it seems you really mean is “toxins”

4 minutes ago, Tristerin said:

Herd benefit, to the guy who is going to hole himself away till this blows over - come now! 

???

4 minutes ago, Tristerin said:

Herd benefit, ...

Heres reality, this same "herd" you speak of (go outside, do a 360 degree rotation) doesn't care about you, or me.  This herd, if it weren't for laws - would take anything and everything from you unless you could stop them with violence.  Thankfully we have laws that keep *most* people between the fenceposts of civility.  So I don't believe doing something for this herd is in my best interest if it affects my best interests.

Well alrighty then. So much for #science.

I'm sorry the "herd" doesn't care about you. But that's not my problem. It's not the math's problem.

You taking vaccine or not has a limited change in direct benefit to you. But the potential indirect benefit is significantly larger. Good news. You don't need to get the vaccine if enough other people do. The major benefit: you'll have fewer exposures, so less likely to get infected. You only lose out on whatever direct benefit you would have had in an exposure or infection.

Just now, Canoe said:

???

Well alrighty then. So much for #science.

I'm sorry the "herd" doesn't care about you. But that's not my problem. It's not the math's problem.

You taking vaccine or not has a limited change in direct benefit to you. But the potential indirect benefit is significantly larger. Good news. You don't need to get the vaccine if enough other people do. The major benefit: you'll have fewer exposures, so less likely to get infected. You only lose out on whatever direct benefit you would have had in an exposure or infection.

Im here to talk at a conversational level, not start espousing copy pastes from the interwebs.  If you don't like that, that's fine.

And yes, that's why I love math and science, it doesn't get all emotional.  

There is no direct benefit for me to get a flu shot.  Not sure how to continue on this.