I just paid $3 for a $600, 50m (165ft), Corning USB 3.Optical Cable at a fleamarket! What crazy things have you found? :)

20200127_020958.thumb.jpg.99bc4c55f5ca749b4fcdff46100d67e8.jpg

So, today on one of my many flea-market escapades, I came across a big box of assorted cables, there was all your standard things, DVI cables, VGA cables, power cords, SATA cables etc., but just as I was getting to the end, a strange USB connector peaked out at the bottom of the box, and I immediately recognised it from Linus' video from a few years back, I dug down to the bottom of the case in a rush, only to realise, that the cable was still on the spool, and that it had never been unwound from said spool, after inspecting it a bit more, it turns out to be the 50 meter version (165ft) which at the time of release was priced at just over $600. ?

So, now I have a 50 meter optical USB 3 cable, that I'm not quite sure what to do with, but I'm just stoked to get a chance to see it in real life! ?

While this might not be my biggest or craziest "find" ever, it surely is one of the coolest!

What crazy and off finds have you guys made in unexpected places? (Flea-markets, Dumpster-diving, junkyards etc.) ?

Wood planer, drill press, metal press, and a miter+table saw for $500. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

1 minute ago, ARikozuM said:

Wood planer, drill press, metal press, and a miter+table saw for $500. 

Awesome! We got our house about 8 months ago now, and I've been looking for tools to kit out the workshop (garage) since then, and finally found a drill-press today, it's in really rough shape, but some TLC and oil and it will be right as rain :)

But I'd kill for a good miter that could do metal! :D

Some of the more pricey Wii U games 

Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild, Wii Sports Club, Legend of Zelda Twilight Princess HD, and Mario Sonic at the 2016 Olympic Games.  These are usually priced $40 plus still for the Wii U.  GameStop was having their buy 1 get 1 free on Wii U and back titles during the holidays, I found all four in my local GameStop.

Currently focusing on my video game collection.

It doesn't matter what you play games on, just play good games you enjoy.

13 minutes ago, Northstorm said:

Awesome! We got our house about 8 months ago now, and I've been looking for tools to kit out the workshop (garage) since then, and finally found a drill-press today, it's in really rough shape, but some TLC and oil and it will be right as rain :)

But I'd kill for a good miter that could do metal! :D

Most drills can punch through metal, it just takes alot longer.

I've been using a hobo freight drill press for knife tangs forever.

AMD blackout rig

cpu: ryzen 5 3600 @4.4ghz @1.35v

gpu: rx5700xt 2200mhz

ram: vengeance lpx c15 3200mhz

mobo: gigabyte b550 auros pro 

psu: cooler master mwe 650w

case: masterbox mbx520

fans:Noctua industrial 3000rpm x6

1 minute ago, scuff gang said:

Most drills can punch through metal, it just takes alot longer.

I've been using a hobo freight drill press for knife tangs forever.

Oh you misunderstand, I want a MITER for steel :D

12 minutes ago, kaiju_wars said:

Some of the more pricey Wii U games 

Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild, Wii Sports Club, Legend of Zelda Twilight Princess HD, and Mario Sonic at the 2016 Olympic Games.  These are usually priced $40 plus still for the Wii U.  GameStop was having their buy 1 get 1 free on Wii U and back titles during the holidays, I found all four in my local GameStop.

Oh that's good too, still need to get BotW for our switch, haven't played it yet :D

Quite a few gems, most of them being 4th Gen Core i5 and a one or two Core i7 CPUs.

• Every now and then, something like an HP X79 dual-socket workstation showed up.
  • Some DDR4 memory.
  • Bondi Blue iMac G3
  • Pentium III + 3DFX VooDoo 3 desktop

All of these came from scrapyards.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

Nothing tech related for me, generally not the kind of stuff I'm able to find at flea markets (with the exception Of "Game Station 4" "premium" quality entertainment centers, or thereabouts, but I have found a sizeable number of of vintage drill presses in various states of decay (all the ones I tend to pick up need significant restoration just to be functional again) ranging anywhere from $15-45. Fix 'em up, restore them to great function, give them some new paint and flip them on eBay or Craigslist for usually somewhere around $500.

One in particular I don't think I'll ever bring myself to part with. It's a 1942 Craftsman press that, as best I can tell dates back to a 1942 Sears catalog (earliest date, anyway) when they still had Dunlap motors. picked it up for $50, and going rate for restored models is anywhere between $500-$700 depending on how much of it is original. The motor on her is a bust, and I'm struggling to find a period correct replacement within a reasonable price. I believe it's the same model that my grandfather had when I was young (and if not, it looks very similar), and I was always fascinated by it. I always wanted to see him make stuff with it, wanted to play with it. It's one of the things he wasn't able to pass on to me, he sold it to a neighbor (who's since moved away) before I reached my teenage years.

~Remember to quote posts to continue support on your thread~
-Don't be this kind of person-

CPU:  AMD Ryzen 7 5800x | RAM: 2x16GB Crucial Ripjaws Z | Cooling: XSPC/EK/Bitspower loop | MOBO: Gigabyte x570 Aorus Master | PSU: Seasonic Prime 750 Titanium  

SSD: 250GB Samsung 980 PRO (OS) | 1TB Crucial MX500| 2TB Crucial P2 | Case: Phanteks Evolv X | GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 (with EK Block) | HDD: 1x Seagate Barracuda 2TB

Kawasaki Pneumatic riveter for $35.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Quantum LTO4 HH SAS, looks new, for 85 € on eBay 9 years ago, the value was about 2000 €. It was returned from RMA but the previous customer changed the opinion and did not want it, so the professional reseller put it back on sale.

And it worked perfect for 9 years before I sold it.

PC #1 : Gigabyte Z170XP-SLI | i7-7700 | Cryorig C7 Cu | 32GB DDR4-2400 | LSI SAS 9211-8i | 240GB NVMe M.2 PCIe PNY CS2030 | SSD&HDDs 59.5TB total | Quantum LTO5 HH SAS drive | GC-Alpine Ridge | Corsair HX750i | Cooler Master Stacker STC-T01 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG27AQ 2560x1440 @ 60 Hz (plugged HDMI port, shared with PC #2) | Win10
PC #2 : Gigabyte MW70-3S0 | 2x E5-2689 v4 | 2x Intel BXSTS200C | 32GB DDR4-2400 ECC Reg | MSI RTX 3080 Ti Suprim X | 2x 1TB SSD SATA Samsung 870 EVO | Corsair AX1600i | Lian Li PC-A77 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG27AQ 2560x1440 @ 144 Hz (plugged DP port, shared with PC #1) | Win10
PC #3 : Mini PC Zotac 4K | Celeron N3150 | 8GB DDR3L 1600 | 250GB M.2 SATA WD Blue | Sound Blaster X-Fi Surround 5.1 Pro USB | Samsung Blu-ray writer USB | Genius SP-HF1800A | TV Panasonic TX-40DX600E UltraHD | Win10
PC #4 : ASUS P2B-F | PIII 500MHz | 512MB SDR 100 | Leadtek WinFast GeForce 256 SDR 32MB | 2x Guillemot Maxi Gamer 3D² 8MB in SLI | Creative Sound Blaster AWE64 ISA | 80GB HDD UATA | Fortron/Source FSP235-60GI | Zalman R1 | DELL E151FP 15" TFT 1024x768 | Win98SE

Laptop : Lenovo ThinkPad T460p | i7-6700HQ | 16GB DDR4 2133 | GeForce 940MX | 240GB SSD PNY CS900 | 14" IPS 1920x1080 | Win11

PC tablet : Fujitsu Point 1600 | PMMX 166MHz | 160MB EDO | 20GB HDD UATA | external floppy drive | 10.4" DSTN 800x600 touchscreen | AGFA SnapScan 1212u blue | Win98SE

Laptop collection #1 : IBM ThinkPad 340CSE | 486SLC2 66MHz | 12MB RAM | 360MB IDE | internal floppy drive | 10.4" DSTN 640x480 256 color | Win3.1 with MS-DOS 6.22

Laptop collection #2 : IBM ThinkPad 380E | PMMX 150MHz | 80MB EDO | NeoMagic MagicGraph128XD | 2.1GB IDE | internal floppy drive | internal CD-ROM drive | Intel PRO/100 Mobile PCMCIA | 12.1" FRSTN 800x600 16-bit color | Win98

Laptop collection #3 : Toshiba T2130CS | 486DX4 75MHz | 32MB EDO | 520MB IDE | internal floppy drive | 10.4" STN 640x480 256 color | Win3.1 with MS-DOS 6.22

And 6 others computers (Intel Compute Stick x5-Z8330, Giada Slim N10 WinXP, 2 Apple classic and 2 PC pocket WinCE)

My best find will still be that one time I saw someone unpacking, asked if they had games, first come the FIFA and such games for the Wii.

Then a DS cover came out of the bag. They handed it to me and I felt it had some heft to it. Turned out to be a 3DS. 

After that they also unpacked some games. Couple of first party games (Mario Kart, 3D Land, Donkey Kong and two more I forgot about now).

The grand total price? 3DS for 5 euros. Games for 1 Euro a piece.

Absolutely brilliant.

After that I thanked the seller, wished them a great day and went on my way. The best thing? 3 minutes later I was just waiting on someone else I was with and while standing around, one of the sellers came up to me and said "Sorry, we forgot to give this" and he gave me the charger.

That will still be my best find I would say.

The only thing that comes somewhat close in my mind is that one time I found two GameBoy Color handhelds, for 3 Euros together. One did not have the battery cover and the other one did. The condition seemed alright, if you looked under the dirt I guess.

The yellow one worked fine, the green one required a (pretty simple) fix.

Currently I  have three of the main six GameBoy Color variants, looking to finish the set some time.

P.S. I am not in the business of ripping people off, but the 3DS did not have a charge on it at all, so I was taking a substantial risk of it just not working. So it felt fair. It did work though ;)

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Found a machine in the bin last year, got it out this weekend to use it as a server and found it has a 1.5TB drive in it.

Found a random I7 8th gen still in the box under a seller's table where someone had knocked it off.

I asked how much for this? The guy looked at at and said "eh doesn't look to nice, 10 bucks".

Bought it took it home and tested, it worked

My favorite one was an Asus 1440p monitor worth about 650 at the time advertised as an "open box" item on ebay. Took my chance and bought it for 350 USD. When I received it, it had never been open.