I need help figure out which server OS to get

Server_42

I need help picking an OS for my server. I will be using my server to run a mobile app on iOS but eventually I will add other mobile operating systems has well.  Please note that this will be a test server and will not have many people connected to it (max 25-30 people). I have an IBM x33650 M2 7947-52U with an Intel Xeon 5530 2.4 GHz. I'm not sure where to start and wondering if any can help me out.

If you plan to use it for testing purposes you may like to install a hypervisor. PROXMOX is a good one. I can't say if Mobile OSs can be ran native on a system though or if they need their own emulation to think they're on a phone.

@Electronics Wizardy  I'm not sure what the backend will exactly need. However, it is a based location app, think of Life360 or Geocaching to get a basic idea. Can you also explain your second question? I'm not sure what you are asking there. I also have very little experience with servers, but I have heard a lot about linux and will look into it.

6 hours ago, Server_42 said:

@Electronics Wizardy  I'm not sure what the backend will exactly need. However, it is a based location app, think of Life360 or Geocaching to get a basic idea. Can you also explain your second question? I'm not sure what you are asking there. I also have very little experience with servers, but I have heard a lot about linux and will look into it.

Findout what your backend uses first.

Id work on making your app now, then worry about the server setup once you get it working on your system.

I mean what linux distro do you like to use? You probably using linux here, but maybe something like docker aswell.

Any modern Linux distro will work, provided you install the right packages. If your Linux knowledge is not very high, stick to Ubuntu, CentOS or Debian. For those who dislike systemd (and that's quite a lot of folk!) try Devuan or Gentoo (Funtoo is a good alternative for the latter) although as rolling release distro's they're not the best suited for production server use. (Gentoo/Funtoo that is, Devuan is essentially Debian w/o systemd and as it happens the project is approaching a new stable release fairly soon)

"You don't need eyes to see, you need vision"

(Faithless, 'Reverence' from the 1996 Reverence album)

Okay, I'm going to finish up my app then figure out what backend I'm going to use. After, that I will figure out what OS is compatible with my chosen backend. Thank you all for the recommendations and some advice. I will update this topic once I have chosen my backend. Thank you again to all the people that responded to my topic.