1650 super and very old 520w psu... should i?

TacosBurritos

Hello there this is my 1st topic in linustech forums, btw yeah i'm mexican so apologies for making your eyes bleed with such magnificent engrish.

So i have this ancient Antec HCG 520w, high current gamer it's a low tier 80plus bronze psu from 2013 lol so far so good, this lil guy has been working for countless hours since 2013 it's a 7 years old psu ohh god ?? and i have absolutely no idea whatsoever if it can handle something like the GTX 1650 Super which needs 6 pin connector, more precisely the Asus TUF GTX 1650 Super 4gb gddr6 

https://www.asus.com/Graphics-Cards/TUF-GTX1650S-O4G-GAMING/

My potato is very outdated but im not the kind of gamer who wants everything at 2k with ultra settings so im just fine playing at 1080p with low-mid settings and that's what i have with my current setup:

Ryzen 3 1300x 
Gigabyte AB350 Gaming motherboard (it has some RGB build-in)
EVGA GTX 750 Ti SC
16GB 2x 8gb RAM
WD 3d nand blue 500gb SSD
WD blue 1TB HDD
DVD/RW  LG drive
2x 120mm corsair led fans (each one with 4 tiny red led's)
Hyper 212 evo cooler (with another 120mm fan, no leds, it's the default 212 fan)
Some corsair pc case with 2x USB 3.0 ports
Cheap logitech wired keyboard
Logitech G203 mice with some rgb.
Logitech G332 headset
27" inch 1080p LG TN monitor and sometimes, i use this Benq 24" ips 1080p as secondary monitor ( it's not connected all the time)

And of course, the Antec HCG 520w 80 plus bronze PSU, so whats the problem? i really don't know if i'ts a good idea to put moar load on this PSU, GTX 750 ti takes like 65w right? The GTX 1650 super needs like 100w or something idk, the 6pin connector tells me it needs more energy and i don't wanna fry my old psu or kill anythingg there like my ssd or motherboard, Asus says it needs 350w power supply, actually it says "recommended" so maybe a 300w psu could work? lol 

Any good and reliable PSU Calculator websites?
Can you help out me to figure how much power my current potato is eating from my Antec 520w psu?
Do you think i'ts time to shutdown and retire the 520w 7y old psu? anyway i could get the Asus Phoenix gtx 1650 single fan no 6pin connector and still would be a nice upgrade from my old gtx 750ti and maybe get 10-15 more fps? the reason why i want the Super edition i'ts because many websites say it has 50% more (something like that) performance compared with basic gtx 1650 hmm... sounds like marketing yadayada but can't be sure im a clueless lazy noob, thx in advance have a nice day guys ?

Its a S12ii rebrand which means its fine to use for some time. Id look at changing it in the future tho. 

I wouldnt suggest getting the gtx 1650 tho as other offerings like the rx 570 or 580 is more desirable. 

edit: the S12ii being a group regulated unit based on a pretty old design. its not desirable to buy it new today (yes its still sold sadly together with many other group regulated units). 

I wouldn't. If I were you I'd upgrade that psu then probably get one.

If you go on eBay and get am RX 570 used, you'll have enough money left over for a CX450. You'll end up with both a significant upgrade and a good PSU.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

1 hour ago, GoldenLag said:

Its a S12ii rebrand which means its fine to use for some time. Id look at changing it in the future tho. 

I wouldnt suggest getting the gtx 1650 tho as other offerings like the rx 570 or 580 is more desirable. 

edit: the S12ii being a group regulated unit based on a pretty old design. its not desirable to buy it new today (yes its still sold sadly together with many other group regulated units). 

So it still works but being an old psu with outdated design should be avoided in 2020, the gtx 1650 is on sale at the store where i buy pc stuff and 580 is bit expensive compared with 1650 or even 1650 super, weird huh? anyway i'll think about it, getting a 570-580 instead gonna check amazon right now but do you think it's wise to make my 520w 7y old psu work with gtx 1650 super? what about the regular gtx1650 1 fan without 6pin connector version?

59 minutes ago, ItsCryptic said:

I wouldn't. If I were you I'd upgrade that psu then probably get one.

why tho i mean do you think it can fail anytime soon and destroy something like the motherboard or ssd? i know it's a 7y old low tier psu but so far it's been working just fine that's why im tempted to push it further with the 1650 super (it has 2x 6+2 pin connectors) another option could be the regular, basic gtx 1650 and some EVGA 600-700 GD gold psu.

54 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

If you go on eBay and get am RX 570 used, you'll have enough money left over for a CX450. You'll end up with both a significant upgrade and a good PSU.

:o CX450 is 80 bronze just like my old antec but has 70w less, is that a good thing? looks like cx450 is very popular but it can handle all my potato hardware plus gtx 1650 Super 100w gpu? im asking coz i have no idea, im a newb. Let's say for whatever reason i dont want AMD gpu, i'm a stubborn dumb newb in love with nvidia who wants gtx 1650 super running with 7y old low tier 520w psu, is that something stupid, risky, dangerous? i'll take 570,580 into consideration anyway thx

1 minute ago, TacosBurritos said:

So it still works but being an old psu with outdated design should be avoided in 2020, the gtx 1650 is on sale at the store where i buy pc stuff and 580 is bit expensive compared with 1650 or even 1650 super, weird huh? anyway i'll think about it, getting a 570-580 instead gonna check amazon right now but do you think it's wise to make my 520w 7y old psu work with gtx 1650 super? what about the regular gtx1650 1 fan without 6pin connector version?

either would be fine. 

if you are US located, then id look at this card:

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/bxM323/sapphire-radeon-rx-570-4gb-pulse-video-card-11266-04-20g

this one is on Newegg.

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/tF648d/xfx-radeon-rx-570-4gb-rs-xxx-video-card-rx-570p427d6

this one is on amazon. 

the Sapphire Pulse is the better card. 

4 minutes ago, TacosBurritos said:

CX450 is 80 bronze just like my old antec but has 70w less, is that a good thing?

you can run a 9900k/3950x + 2070 super on the cx450. 

the 80+ bronze sticker is an efficiency rating. says nothing about how good the PSU actually is. 

the cx450 is really a 80+ silver PSU in terms of efficiency, and its a really good budget PSU. id opt for the 550w model as that can run any consumer single GPU system. 

10 minutes ago, TacosBurritos said:

CX450 is 80 bronze just like my old antec but has 70w less, is that a good thing? looks like cx450 is very popular but it can handle all my potato hardware plus gtx 1650 Super 100w gpu

450 watts is more than enough, see my signature below for a reference.

10 minutes ago, TacosBurritos said:

Let's say for whatever reason i dont want AMD gpu, i'm a stubborn dumb newb in love with nvidia who wants gtx 1650 super running with 7y old low tier 520w psu, is that something stupid, risky, dangerous? i'll take 570,580 into consideration anyway thx

well, older PSUs can have multiple problems, not necessarily explosions but lacking protections and good power delivery can cause general problems down the line when using modern hardware.

If you love nvidia, look at getting a GTX 1060 3GB, which is similar to an RX 570, or a GTX 1060 6GB, which is similar to an RX 580 (and therefore the 1650 super). There's also the GTX 970 but then you're getting into graphics cards that require more PCIe power connectors and the CX450 only has 1x6+2 pin PCIe.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

If you don't mind used parts then there's always PowerColor RX580 Red Devil 8GB on ebay for around $120 which is still a pretty good deal for the money. You do need some decent case airflow and an undervolt to keep them cool but they're good cards with a good cooler.

I don't want 2nd hand hardware coz it didn't go well in the past, don't trust people here in my mexican city that sucks i know but thats me :/

So i should change my old PSU that's a priority more than getting new GPU huh? i could take the risk and get the Super 1650 or RX580 and pray it won't blow up, my results from most PSU calculator sites (either with super 1650 or gtx 1060) are (give or take) 328-420 load wattage so my Antec 520w should be ok... anyway have to think about it.

This one is good?  evga 700w GD 80gold 5 years warranty
https://www.evga.com/products/product.aspx?pn=100-GD-0700-V1

i could get both in one month, psu and gpu but problem is the mexican currency, when our goverment does something stupid (which pretty much happens everyday) US dollar goes up therefore everything becomes more expensive, specially computer hardware

7 minutes ago, TacosBurritos said:

This one is good?  evga 700w GD 80gold 5 years warranty
https://www.evga.com/products/product.aspx?pn=100-GD-0700-V1

its "eh". also way overkill wattage. 

7 minutes ago, TacosBurritos said:

PSU calculator sites

they are all terrible, just so you know. 

8 minutes ago, TacosBurritos said:

So i should change my old PSU that's a priority more than getting new GPU huh?

as ive allready informed, you can run your new GPU untill you can get  PSU

Ok sorry bout that golden lol, im bit clumsy, thx for the help, i'll get the gpu then look for a good psu, btw there's something very weird about Corsair psu's in most online mexican stores, all of them are refurbished psu's :/  i could get the refurbished CX550 or CX650 and GPU at once but idk, anyway ty

3 minutes ago, TacosBurritos said:

i could get the refurbished CX550 or CX650 and GPU at once but idk, anyway ty

please quote. 

also, how about the Pure Power 11 600w from bequiet

or

something tier B or above.