Problem booting with new cpu

Seiji
Go to solution Solved by Mateyyy,
4 minutes ago, Seiji said:

So recently I upgraded my ryzen 5 1600 to a ryzen 5 3600, but I didn't update the bios before I made the upgrade.

There's your cause.

If your motherboard supports BIOS flashback, you will be able to update the BIOS without any problems. If it doesn't though, you will need a Ryzen 1000/2000 chip to put into the board, update the BIOS and then you can put your 3600 back in. 

Other than going to a local PC store and asking them to update the BIOS, you can buy a cheap Zen or Zen+ CPU (something like a 200GE) and update the BIOS with that.

SOLVED: I did exactly that, bought the 200GE and managed to get to the bios, but the windows wouldn't boot, and the ssd that had the windows installed wouldn't show in the bootable options.

When that happened I simply changed the M.2 slot and it started normally.

After that I updated the BIOS and installed back my ryzen 5 3600 and it started normally.

Pc specs:

• Asus TUF x470-plus gaming
  • Ryzen 5 3600
  • Rtx 2070 super
  • 16GB RAM DDR4
  • Seasonic SSR-650
  • Windows 10 64bit

So recently I upgraded my ryzen 5 1600 to a ryzen 5 3600, but I didn't update the bios before I made the upgrade.

When I tried booting it the fans would be really loud and it wouldn't even get to the bios screen, all I would get was the message "d-sub no signal" and nothing else.

I tried another GPU, checked the RAM sockets and I don't think there are any bent pins on the cpu.

I don't have my old ryzen processor so I can't check that.

Could it be a bios problem? IF it is a bios problem is there anything I can do other than going to a store and asking them to flash it for me?

Thanks

You need up to date Bios that supports Zen 2 CPU. If your local tech store is capable of updating it, then go ahead and ask them.

Main system: Ryzen 7 7800X3D / Asus ROG Strix B650E / G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 32GB 6000Mhz / Powercolor RX 7900 XTX Red Devil/ EVGA 750W GQ / NZXT H5 Flow

4 minutes ago, Seiji said:

There's your cause.

If your motherboard supports BIOS flashback, you will be able to update the BIOS without any problems. If it doesn't though, you will need a Ryzen 1000/2000 chip to put into the board, update the BIOS and then you can put your 3600 back in. 

Other than going to a local PC store and asking them to update the BIOS, you can buy a cheap Zen or Zen+ CPU (something like a 200GE) and update the BIOS with that.

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

Yeah, that board doesn't have bios flashback AFAICS, so will have to update bios normally. If a friend trusts you you could borrow one to do that, but if not you'll have to buy a CPU, or go to a computer shop that'll do it for a fee.

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

If you still have your old Ryzen 5 1600 then you could put that back in and then update your UEFI, otherwise you would need to borrow another CPU or take it in to a shop to update the UEFI for you.

Workstation:

Intel Core i7 6700K | AMD Radeon R9 390X | 16 GB RAM

Mobile Workstation:

MacBook Pro 15" (2017) | Intel Core i7 7820HQ | AMD Radeon Pro 560 | 16 GB RAM

On 1/26/2020 at 9:21 PM, Mateyyy said:

you can buy a cheap Zen or Zen+ CPU (something like a 200GE) and update the BIOS with that.

That sounds like a good idea, might be cheaper than taking it to a pc store, i think I'm gonna try to do that

So I bought the 200GE and I managed to get to the bios, but now when I start apparently my M.2 ssd is not being recognized.

My Sata SSD and my HDD do get recognized though, the problem is that my windows is in my m.2 SSD

15802042054004897718916023513589.jpg