Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
PunkmeisterDuy

Recommended SSDs for Mass Storage

Posted · Original PosterOP

In one of linus's videos, he said he found SSD's from Facebook on Ebay, the P4500 from intel. I tried searching for the drives on Ebay and they were like 400$ for 4TB. The thing is that I dont think Linus bought 20 drives of these, just to upgrade from his ouinax (I dont know how to spell it) server. My question is, does anyone know any good value ssds for mass storage or where to get these p4500 ssds for cheap. 

If you need real mass SSD storage you're probably better off using SATA SSDs. If you plan to RAID a bunch together the NVMe controllers you'd have to buy would get expensive.

Guides & Tutorials:

VFIO GPU Pass-though w/ Looking Glass KVM on Ubuntu 19.04

A How-To Guide: Building a Rudimentary Disk Enclosure

Three Methods to Resetting a Windows Login Password

A Beginners Guide to Debian CLI Based File Servers

A Beginners Guide to PROXMOX

How to Use Rsync on Microsoft Windows for Cross-platform Automatic Data Replication

A How To Guide: Setting up SMB3.0 Multichannel on FreeNAS

How You can Reset Your Windows Login Password with Hiren's BootCD - (Depreciated)

Guide/Tutorial in Progress:

How to Setup Drive Sharing in Windows 10

In the Queue:

How to Format a HDD/SSD in Windows

How to Flash a RAID Card to IT Mode

Don't see what you need? Check the Full List or *PM me, if I haven't made it I'll add it to the list.

*NOTE: I'll only add it to the list if the request is something I know I can do.

As above go with SATA SSDs. What's the total raw storage you're looking for? How much rack space do you have or need to be within? How do you plan to access the storage and what is it for (NFS + VM hosting, SMB file shares, NFS shares)?

Much of the components Linus shows/works with are either on loan or sponsored by the manufacturer or another sponsor. One can see the marketing appeal a 10M+ sub YT channel has on sales, right? 🤐  That said, LMG does purchase equipment for use in their offices and some of that is used in builds for LTT or other channels. No offence, but it's part of his business model.

However, if you need serious mass storage, forget SSDs, use traditional hard-drives instead. Much more capacity for seriously lower prices, the WD Red series is a good starting point. You could use an NVMe SSD as cache in front of the HDDs to aid read/write timings for often used/accessed data. For Linux and BSD, there's the bcache toolchain, on Win-OS it might be more tricky to set up. (but as I don't know that OS, I can't tell for sure)

17 hours ago, Dutch_Master said:

Much of the components Linus shows/works with are either on loan or sponsored by the manufacturer or another sponsor. One can see the marketing appeal a 10M+ sub YT channel has on sales, right? 🤐  That said, LMG does purchase equipment for use in their offices and some of that is used in builds for LTT or other channels. No offence, but it's part of his business model.

For the SSD server that the editors do primary editing off Linus has actually purchased the SSDs for it, when it comes to the server videos where it involves storage or actually getting put in to their rack those have the highest percentage of paid for parts. I think the biggest free stuff was from Seagate for the GlusterFS servers, that was a fair decent amount of HDDS.

Companies like the marketing but none of them are silly enough to give out a full server deployment of free to keep SSDs, SATA or NVMe lol.

I'd really like to see more server videos and more in-depth ones but it's outside their skill set to do it, plus Level1Techs already covers that so there isn't much point stepping in to an area you're less authoritative in competing for viewership, too much risk of reputation damage.

For anyone looking into what disks to buy for literally any field of server usage (and I would start the conversation asking 20+ questions) I really recommend the Backblaze blog - they publish the most extensive neutral posts on what they go with and why! 

On 1/26/2020 at 6:11 PM, PunkmeisterDuy said:

ouinax

It's Whonnock, its a place in BC just out of Vancouver where Linus is from, just next to Surrey where LMG's office is. 

In one of linus's videos, he said he found SSD's from Facebook on Ebay, the P4500 from intel. I tried searching for the drives on Ebay and they were like 400$ for 4TB

Maybe they sold out or increased the price due to popularity, but as he said they were over $350 each.....$400 is still a damn good price for 4TB enterprise SSD's. I wouldnt doubt that Linus bought 20 drives at that price, they have plenty of capital to work with and its an investment since it maintains the output speed of his editors. 

But perhaps you should look at SATA SSD's unless you need a 40Gbps server, because the HBA's and support hardware are going to be expensive for PCIe

Spoiler

Desktop: Ryzen 7 2700x | Aorus X470 Gaming Ultra | EVGA RTX2080 Super | 32GB (4x8GB) Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200Mhz | Corsair H105 AIO, NZXT Sentry 3 | Corsair SP120's | 1TB Crucial P1 NVMe, 4TB WD Black | Phanteks Enthoo Pro | Corsair RM650v2 PSU | LG 32" 32GK850G Monitor | Ducky Shine 3 Keyboard, Logitech G502, MicroLab Solo 7C Speakers, Razer Goliathus Extended, X360 Controller | Windows 10 Pro | SteelSeries Siberia 350 Headphones

Spoiler

Server 1: Fractal Design Define R6 | Ryzen 3950x | ASRock X570 Taichi | EVGA GTX1070 FTW | 64GB (4x16GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz | Corsair RM650v2 PSU | Fractal S36 Triple AIO | 10 x 8TB HGST Ultrastar He10 (WD Whitelabel) | 500GB Aorus Gen4 NVMe | 2 x 1TB Crucial P1 NVMe | LSI 9211-8i HBA

Server 2: Corsair 400R | IcyDock MB998SP & MB455SPF | Seasonic Focus Plus 650w PSU | 2 x Xeon X5650's | 48GB DDR3-ECC | Asus Z8NA-D6C Motherboard | AOC-SAS2LP-MV8 | LSI MegaRAID 9271-8i | RES2SV240 SAS Expander | Samsung 840Evo 120GB | 5 x 8TB Seagate Archives | 10 x 3TB WD Red