Jump to content
To encourage social distancing, you must leave two blank lines at the start and end of every post, and before and after every quote. Failure to comply may result in non-essential parts of the forum closing. Click for more details. ×
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
EJOE

2011 MacBook Air Screen Problem

Recommended Posts

Posted · Original PosterOP

Hello, I recently bought this pretty beat up mid 2011 MacBook Air. It has this really weird thing with the screen going on. At first I thought it was dirt or something but then I couldn’t take it off. It feels like it’s a small dent. Or maybe it’s just super stuck grime? Is there anyway to fix these little spots? The only thing I’ve searched that looks similar is anti glare but that started in 2012. Thanks for the help!

7CD0A13B-7E8C-4680-A61D-29D024950CAF.jpeg

Link to post
Share on other sites

It looks like what I'd expect damage to a screen to look like, though it appears to be in some kind of pattern. Is it possible that the laptop had one of those keyboard covers installed previously, and it could have damaged the display that way? I know my 2015 A1502 Retina MBP has a small mark on the display which looks similar and has a dead pixel behind it.


The Desktops

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600X | RAM: 16GB (2x8GB) Ripjaws V DDR4-3200 | Motherboard: ASUS ROG Crosshair VI Hero | Storage: 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x1TB HDD | GPU: GTX 1080 Strix O8G | Cooling: 2x240mm AIO + NZXT Kraken G12 | Case: Cooler Master NR600 | PSU: EVGA GS 550W

Secondary Rig: CPU: Intel Core i7-7700K | RAM: 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4-2400 | Motherboard: ASUS Z270E Strix | Storage: 256GB Crucial MX100 + 1.2TB Fusion ioDrive2 SSD (Windows) | Cooling: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Black (2x EK Vardar Furious 3000) | Case: Fractal Design Meshify C | PSU: Corsair CX550M

Hooptie: CPU: Intel Xeon E5645 | RAM: 12GB (3x4GB) DDR3-1600 | Motherboard: ASUS P6X58D-Premium | Storage: 240GB SanDisk SSD + 500GB HDD | GPU: GTX 970 Strix | Cooling: Reeven Ouranos | Case: NZXT Source 210 | PSU: Cooler Master Silent Pro M 720W

Oculus Rift CV1: 2x Sensors


The Portables

MacBook Pro (Early 2015, A1502) 13": CPU: Intel Core i5-5257U | RAM: 16GB DDR3-1867 | Storage: 256GB SM0256G SSD | GPU: Intel Iris 6100

Nintendo Switch (Gray, HAC-001) | iPhone XS Max 64GB (Space Grey) | Apple Watch Series 2 (42mm) | AirPods (2nd Generation)

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
13 minutes ago, TheSLSAMG said:

It looks like what I'd expect damage to a screen to look like, though it appears to be in some kind of pattern. Is it possible that the laptop had one of those keyboard covers installed previously, and it could have damaged the display that way? I know my 2015 A1502 Retina MBP has a small mark on the display which looks similar and has a dead pixel behind it.

That's what I thought too. But when It's on it doesn't affect the display at all  other than being able to see the small dots on the screen. And possibly, I'm not sure. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, EJOE said:

That's what I thought too. But when It's on it doesn't affect the display at all  other than being able to see the small dots on the screen. And possibly, I'm not sure. 

Those are basically scratches in the screen from the keyboard, happens when pressure is placed on the lid while closed, and then it's wiggled back and forth... Like in a backpack. Worked retail repair, and short of cleaning the screen with a cloth moistened with LCD Cleaner / rubbing alcohol there's not much you can do about it. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
6 minutes ago, dnyank1 said:

Those are basically scratches in the screen from the keyboard, happens when pressure is placed on the lid while closed, and then it's wiggled back and forth... Like in a backpack. Worked retail repair, and short of cleaning the screen with a cloth moistened with LCD Cleaner / rubbing alcohol there's not much you can do about it. 

That makes a lot of sense. Used to be owned by a college student. Anyways, thanks. It’s too bad there isn’t a cheaper replacement. The screens online are worth more than the laptop haha

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, EJOE said:

That makes a lot of sense. Used to be owned by a college student. Anyways, thanks. It’s too bad there isn’t a cheaper replacement. The screens online are worth more than the laptop haha

What makes those particularly difficult is you need a clean-room environment to service those LCDs, there's not a sealed panel in a housing like... every other machine - the lid itself IS part of the panel. For a 2011, it's just not worth it. That being said, if you plan on keeping or even flipping it, you should absolutely check out dosdude's catalina or mojave patcher to get a modern OS on the machine.

 

http://dosdude1.com/catalina/

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/26/2020 at 6:14 AM, dnyank1 said:

Those are basically scratches in the screen from the keyboard, happens when pressure is placed on the lid while closed, and then it's wiggled back and forth... Like in a backpack.

I doubt it's from the keyboard, likely dust or bits of food or something on the actual keys that's scratching the display. 


They/Them 

Phone: Nokia 7.2 | 128GB | Android

Laptop: Apple MacBook Pro | Core i5 7360U | Iris 640 | 8GB RAM | 120GB SSD | macOS

Gaming PC: Asus Prime Z370-P | Core i3-8100 | R9 290X | 16GB RAM | 250GB SSD | Bitfenix Whisper | Windows 10

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×