Must disconnect AIO in order to POST

Dr Tyrone

Hello,

Basically every time I turn on my PC I have to force shut it down by holding down the power button, disconnect my AIO, start it again, shut it down again and restart it again. Then it'll finally POST and boot into login screen.

This started happening right after I installed my AIO, the H100i from Corsair. Now if I want to boot up I have to disconnect it, power the PC on with it unplugged and it'll boot up. If I do all this without disconnecting it, it will just not reach POST.

I highly doubt its my PSU but I haven't left that possibility out.

I have checked on all my hardware power draw and it doesn't draw over 675W at overclock.

Specs:

CPU: R9 3900x

GPU: RTX EVGA 2080Ti XC Ultra

PSU: Corsair RM850x

MOBO: ASUS Prime - P X570

RAM: 4x8GB G-Skill Trident Z Royal 3600MHz

AIO: Corsair H100i

9x Case Fans.

M.2 Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500gb

M.2 XPG 8600 1TB

HDD WD Blue 7200 1TB

bump... anyone? I've now had this problem for a month or two. Have to disconnect AIO for a solid 2 sometimes 3 power cycles to get it to POST and show windows.

On 1/26/2020 at 2:41 PM, Dr Tyrone said:

Basically every time I turn on my PC I have to force shut it down by holding down the power button, disconnect my AIO, start it again, shut it down again and restart it again. Then it'll finally POST and boot into login screen.

This started happening right after I installed my AIO, the H100i from Corsair. Now if I want to boot up I have to disconnect it, power the PC on with it unplugged and it'll boot up. If I do all this without disconnecting it, it will just not reach POST.

When you do it without disconnecting the AIO are there any signs of life from the system (fans spinning, LEDs, HDDs spinning up, etc) or is it just completely dead? Does it show signs of life with fans spinning but just never go to a POST screen and hang? Or does it enter a boot loop where it constantly restarts? Do any error messages show on the screen?

When you unplug the AIO are you unplugging the fan headers, the pump header, the USB cable, or the whole lot?

Do you have the pump/fans from the AIO plugged in directly to the motherboard or plugged in to a separate fan controller?

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

16 hours ago, Spotty said:

When you do it without disconnecting the AIO are there any signs of life from the system (fans spinning, LEDs, HDDs spinning up, etc) or is it just completely dead? Does it show signs of life with fans spinning but just never go to a POST screen and hang? Or does it enter a boot loop where it constantly restarts? Do any error messages show on the screen?

When you unplug the AIO are you unplugging the fan headers, the pump header, the USB cable, or the whole lot?

Do you have the pump/fans from the AIO plugged in directly to the motherboard or plugged in to a separate fan controller?

If I do it without disconnecting AIO, it will act as if it’s turned on, everything comes on including fans and lights. 
monitor doesn’t display anything other than it sensing it’s receiving a signal but then it goes to “no signal”.

when I unplug AIO I just disconnect it from the power supply SATA port. The long cable that has a bunch of SATA connections from PSU.

i have the fans plugged into both the motherboard and a fan hub. I have 9 total fans.

8 minutes ago, Dr Tyrone said:

when I unplug AIO I just disconnect it from the power supply SATA port. The long cable that has a bunch of SATA connections from PSU.

What other devices are on the same SATA power cable? What happens if you plug the AIO in to its own SATA cable that doesn't have any other devices on it?

On 1/30/2020 at 11:06 AM, Dr Tyrone said:

Have to disconnect AIO for a solid 2 sometimes 3 power cycles to get it to POST and show windows.

So even after unplugging the AIO you still need to power cycle it a few times to get it to POST?

What happens if you just keep power cycling the system without unplugging the AIO? Will it eventually start?

Woops, just saw you already answered this and said it wouldn't start at all.

Try putting the AIO on a different SATA cable chain and see if that helps. Make sure everything is plugged in correctly on both the component side and on the PSU side.

Edited by Spotty

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

4 hours ago, Spotty said:

What other devices are on the same SATA power cable? What happens if you plug the AIO in to its own SATA cable that doesn't have any other devices on it?

So even after unplugging the AIO you still need to power cycle it a few times to get it to POST?

What happens if you just keep power cycling the system without unplugging the AIO? Will it eventually start?

Try putting the AIO on a different SATA cable chain and see if that helps. Make sure everything is plugged in correctly on both the component side and on the PSU side.

yes, if I unplug the AIO I have to power cycle one or two more times normally but it’ll start then. If I don’t, it just doesn’t go anywhere ever after 5-10 cycles. 
I’ll try putting it on it’s own cable and see if it does that. I’ll have to add one more strip and will come back with an answer.

I have one or two other devices on the same strip so that may be the culprit..

5 hours ago, Spotty said:

Just tried with the AIO on a seperate SATA cable chain and still nothing. Had to power cycle a few times to get it to start again with it disconnected after a few cycles with the new chain..

Could it be the PSU itself? Im not pulling over 700w for sure but I guess i could get a 1KW unit.

bump.. need some help. no ones been able to figure this out with me :/

gonna give it a last bump before i post elsewhere :(

if anyone has some advice id appreciate it..