Crazy to run an RTX 2070 Super on a 450W psu?

SteveGrabowski0

My PSU is a Bitfeenix Forumla 450 Gold which is listed in Tier A+ in the power supply tier list thread, and I'm somewhat considering a 2070 Super.

Anandtech lists the total system power consumption at 302W for playing Shadow of the The Tomb Raider and 314W in Furmark when paired with a 5.0 GHz i9-9900k, and I'd be running with a locked 3.6 GHz Xeon E3-1231v3 (88W Haswell 4C/8T). Techpowerup found a peak gaming draw of 220W for the card, so is there any reason I should worry about running a system with Xeon E3-1231v3 + 16GB DDR3-2400 + RTX 2070 Super on what's supposed to be a pretty high quality 450W unit? Would I be worried about small spikes in power that might overwhelm my PSU or something?

110946.png

110947.png

power-gaming-peak.png

Is Nvidia's 650W recommendation just serious overkill? Or is it there to protect from people running firehazard PSU that can't output what they claim? Or is it that high for good reason?

It will be fine.

Ryzen 3600 4.33ghz . CM Hyper 212 Turbo. MSI X470 Gaming Plus Max. Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 3200 @ 3200 CL 15 (OC). Powercolor RX 5700XT Red Dragon. FD Meshify S2. Crucial P1 M.2 1TB. Corsair Vengeance 650W 80+ Silver.

Core 2 Duo 3.4ghz . WenjuFeng cooler . ASUS P5G41C-M LX . Crucial 1066mhz 3GB DDR2 . Gainward Golden Sample HD 4850 . Coolermaster Elite 430 . Seagate 160GB IDE 7200RPM . BeQuiet System Power 9 400w 80+ Bronze

Should be fine. The card might trigger the OCP on the GPU rail, but you won't be putting anything at risk.

:)

1 hour ago, seon123 said:

Should be fine. The card might trigger the OCP on the GPU rail, but you won't be putting anything at risk.

Do you think it's likely? It has three +12V rails each listed for 25A, so each rail should handle 300W continuous power, and 450W continuous combined on the +12V rails. And it has two 6+2 pin PCIE power connected, so it's not like I'm going to be using MOLEX to PCIE adapters like you always see people asking about with fire hazard PSUs. Considering anandtech only pulled 314W for total system power consumption in Furmark with the reference 2070S on a much higher power cpu, while Techpowerup measured 218W sustained in Furmark just for the reference 2070S, I'm not sure why some are saying it'll be a problem. Is it likely to say spike up to 300+ W at times despite only doing 218 W sustained in Furmark? (I always thought Furmark was the worst load you could give a gpu)

I'm not that knowledgeable on PSUs tbh. Obviously I don't want to overload the PSU if I'm going to be tripping OCP and cutting power to the system.

5 hours ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

Do you think it's likely? It has three +12V rails each listed for 25A, so each rail should handle 300W continuous power, and 450W continuous combined on the +12V rails. And it has two 6+2 pin PCIE power connected, so it's not like I'm going to be using MOLEX to PCIE adapters like you always see people asking about with fire hazard PSUs. Considering anandtech only pulled 314W for total system power consumption in Furmark with the reference 2070S on a much higher power cpu, while Techpowerup measured 218W sustained in Furmark just for the reference 2070S, I'm not sure why some are saying it'll be a problem. Is it likely to say spike up to 300+ W at times despite only doing 218 W sustained in Furmark? (I always thought Furmark was the worst load you could give a gpu)

I'm not that knowledgeable on PSUs tbh. Obviously I don't want to overload the PSU if I'm going to be tripping OCP and cutting power to the system.

It should be more than capable of powering the GPU, it's just that newer Nvidia cards can have quite high transients, which may trigger some protections. Worst case scenario is that is just shuts down. 

:)

3 hours ago, seon123 said:

It should be more than capable of powering the GPU, it's just that newer Nvidia cards can have quite high transients, which may trigger some protections. Worst case scenario is that is just shuts down. 

Do you think if those high transients you speak of are going to overpower one of the rails that it's something that would show up right away? Eg let's say the first thing I do with the card is run Furmark for an hour. Would that be likely to suss out this potential problem?

With the rumored PS5 baseline being RX 5700 XT performance plus some form of hardware raytracing it seems like 2070 Super might be the cheapest card to at least reach console parity with next gen, so if I buy a gpu now it's probably 2070 Super or nothing. I think I'm most likely to just wait for the PS5 official specs as well as Computex before deciding between say 2070 Super, PS5, or a hypothetical RTX 3070 that would probably get announced at Computex if it's coming this year, but there's definitely a small voice telling me just buy the damn 2070 Super already so I can play Control, for instance. ?

6 hours ago, Vejnemojnen said:

@SteveGrabowski0

it should be fine! Undervolt the thing, will get you ~ 40w less draw.

Wow that's pretty cool. Thanks for sharing the guide. Might look into this if I end up buying a 2070S.