Question about replacing a motherboard.

Hey everyone,

Im replacing my MSI z370-a Pro motherboard with an MSI MEG z390 ACE motherboard but I’m wondering..

Should I just put the plain motherboard with nothing attached or installed on it into the case first?

Or should I install some things into the motherboard first and then screw it into the case?

If so, what should I put on the motherboard before I install the motherboard into the case?

Id like to do some neat cable management this time instead of having a giant bird’s nest of cables in my PC like last time.

Thanks! 

03F4F523-77BD-4536-898F-3CAC36CB877F.jpeg

AFBD36AE-42BB-4F10-B0A9-213F03138974.jpeg

CPU: i7 8700K (5.1 GHz OC). AIO: EVGA CLC 280 280mmGPUEVGA XC2 Ultra 2080Ti. PSU: Corsair RM850x 850W 80+ Gold Fully Modular. MB: MSI MEG Z390 ACE. RAM: 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB (3600 MHz OC). STORAGE: 1TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus M.2 NVMe, 2TB Samsung 860 EVO, 1TB Samsung 860 Evo, 1TB Samsung 860 QVO, 2TB Firecuda 7200rpm SSHD, 1TB WD Blue. CASE: NZXT H510 Elite. FANS: Corsair LL120 RGB 120mm x4. MONITOR: MSI Optix MAG271CQR 2560x1440 144hz. Headset: Steelseries Arctis 5 Gaming Headset. Keyboard: Razer Cynosa Chroma. Mouse: Razer Basilisk Ultimate (Wireless) Webcam: Logitech C922x Pro Stream Webcam.

34 minutes ago, GamerBlake said:

Hey everyone,

Im replacing my MSI z370-a Pro motherboard with an MSI MEG z390 ACE motherboard but I’m wondering..

Should I just put the plain motherboard with nothing attached or installed on it into the case first?

Or should I install some things into the motherboard first and then screw it into the case?

If so, what should I put on the motherboard before I install the motherboard into the case?

Id like to do some neat cable management this time instead of having a giant bird’s nest of cables in my PC like last time.

Thanks! 

Usually is best to test the mobo before putting it inside the case. Use mobo box as test bench, install cpu , ram and gpu, connect all necessary cables from psu and see if it’ll post. After that you don’t have to remove cpu and ram when putting in the case. 

@Whiro tag or quote will do the trick 
i5 3570K @ 4.7Ghz  |  AsRock Fatal1ty Z77 Performance  |  Corsair Vengeance 16GB 1600MHz  |  ASUS Strix GTX 970 OC  |  Phanteks P400S TG  (mesh panel) |  EVGA 500W1  |  Storage: Corsair 60GB SSD (boot), Gigabyte 120GB SSD, WD 2Tb HDD | Cooling: Custom loop

EKWB EK-XRES 140 Revo D5 RGB PWM

EKWB EK Supremacy Evo , naked die

EKWB EK Thermosphere 

EKWB EK CoolStream PE 360

EKWB EK Coolstream SE 120

EKWB EK Vardar 120s  x6

EKWB EK STC Classic 10/16  x10

EKWB EK DuraClear Tubing 16/10

EKWB EK CryoFuel Acid Green

Laptop: Gigabyte G5-KC | i5 10500H | RTX 3060

WHIRO

THE FIRST OF DEATH AND DARKNESS

He feast on the dead to inherit their power

1 minute ago, Whiro said:

Usually is best to test the mobo before putting it inside the case. Use mobo box as test bench, install cpu , ram and gpu, connect all necessary cables from psu and see if it’ll post. After that you don’t have to remove cpu and ram when putting in the case. 

Oh ok I’ll try that! Thanks!

Do you know if MSI will send a replacement if I have a DOA motherboard?

I was kind of worried when I got it because there weren’t any packing peanuts or foam or air packets or anything to protect it. It was just loose in the box.

3E11D53A-2B8B-4E9D-9BEF-92573A49EB8F.jpeg

CPU: i7 8700K (5.1 GHz OC). AIO: EVGA CLC 280 280mmGPUEVGA XC2 Ultra 2080Ti. PSU: Corsair RM850x 850W 80+ Gold Fully Modular. MB: MSI MEG Z390 ACE. RAM: 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB (3600 MHz OC). STORAGE: 1TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus M.2 NVMe, 2TB Samsung 860 EVO, 1TB Samsung 860 Evo, 1TB Samsung 860 QVO, 2TB Firecuda 7200rpm SSHD, 1TB WD Blue. CASE: NZXT H510 Elite. FANS: Corsair LL120 RGB 120mm x4. MONITOR: MSI Optix MAG271CQR 2560x1440 144hz. Headset: Steelseries Arctis 5 Gaming Headset. Keyboard: Razer Cynosa Chroma. Mouse: Razer Basilisk Ultimate (Wireless) Webcam: Logitech C922x Pro Stream Webcam.

Just now, GamerBlake said:

Oh ok I’ll try that! Thanks!

Do you know if MSI will send a replacement if I have a DOA motherboard?

I was kind of worried when I got it because there weren’t any packing peanuts or foam or air packets or anything to protect it. It was just loose in the box.

Nothing to worry about, mobos are usually quite secured inside there boxes, plus there is no moving parts inside so chance of damage the board is very small. 
I’m sure if the board is DOA they will sort it out.

i5 3570K @ 4.7Ghz  |  AsRock Fatal1ty Z77 Performance  |  Corsair Vengeance 16GB 1600MHz  |  ASUS Strix GTX 970 OC  |  Phanteks P400S TG  (mesh panel) |  EVGA 500W1  |  Storage: Corsair 60GB SSD (boot), Gigabyte 120GB SSD, WD 2Tb HDD | Cooling: Custom loop

EKWB EK Thermosphere 

EKWB EK Vardar 120s  x6

WHIRO

2 minutes ago, Whiro said:

Nothing to worry about, mobos are usually quite secured inside there boxes, plus there is no moving parts inside so chance of damage the board is very small. 
I’m sure if the board is DOA they will sort it out.

Oh ok thanks! That’s good to know.

I remember once I had a Western Digital Black HDD and I dropped it when I was installing it and then it started going all wonky and eventually stopped working altogether.

1 minute ago, GamerBlake said:

Oh ok thanks! That’s good to know.

I remember once I had a Western Digital Black HDD and I dropped it when I was installing it and then it started going all wonky and eventually stopped working altogether.

HDD is completely different story, a lot of mechanical moving parts inside, they usually quite fragile so I’m not surprised it starts to get wonky when you drop it. With mobo there is not such a thing so worst case scenario even when you drop it it should be good.

EKWB EK Thermosphere 

EKWB EK Vardar 120s  x6

WHIRO

1 minute ago, Whiro said:

HDD is completely different story, a lot of mechanical moving parts inside, they usually quite fragile so I’m not surprised it starts to get wonky when you drop it. With mobo there is not such a thing so worst case scenario even when you drop it it should be good.

Thanks for the help! ? 

So with motherboards if there’s any damage it will be like visible physical damage such as a crack or PCI-E slot ripped off or something visible like that?

Because I’ve read stories about people who used huge graphics cards and without support they actually ripped the PCI-E slot off the board itself.

2 minutes ago, GamerBlake said:

Because I’ve read stories about people who used huge graphics cards and without support they actually ripped the PCI-E slot off the board itself

The board which you have is top tier class, they have reinforced pcie slots, you would probably need to actually lean on the card and push it quite hard to damage the slot.

4 minutes ago, GamerBlake said:

So with motherboards if there’s any damage it will be like visible physical damage such as a crack or PCI-E slot ripped off or something visible like that?

Not necessary, it may have damaged components such as capacitors which you most likely not gonna see that is damaged but chances with that kind of board are very small. Like mentioned before it’s top tier mobo so I would expect that quality control will be better than with cheaper boards

EKWB EK Thermosphere 

EKWB EK Vardar 120s  x6

WHIRO

Just now, Whiro said:

The board which you have is top tier class, they have reinforced pcie slots, you would probably need to actually lean on the card and push it quite hard to damage the slot.

Not necessary, it may have damaged components such as capacitors which you most likely not gonna see that is damaged but chances with that kind of board are very small. Like mentioned before it’s top tier mobo so I would expect that quality control will be better than with cheaper boards

Thanks! I feel a lot better now knowing that my motherboard isn’t super fragile and I don’t have to worry that if the delivery guy dropped the box or if it slid around in the truck that it’s damaged.

Ill test it out today. Thanks again for the help!

17 minutes ago, GamerBlake said:

Ill test it out today. Thanks again for the help

No prob, always happy to help. Let us know how the testing went.

EKWB EK Thermosphere 

EKWB EK Vardar 120s  x6

WHIRO