Time for new PSU?

RaevThaonai

I was advised to post here, from PSUs so....here it goes:

Hi!

So recently I have started having issues with games on my rig. Basically, whenever I play something a bit more intensive (eg. Overwatch on high settings, AC: Odyssey, Darksiders Genesis (?) ) my computer will either crash the game to a black screen with audio or no audio at all or restart completely.
I have kept an eye on temps, my aircooled 2700x (No OC) sits at most at 65C under very heavy load.
My GPU can get pretty hot (75-80 C) but as far as I've researched it's not too bad for an aircooled 2080ti.

Things I have tried so far:

Reinstalling Windows (this copy is about 10 days old)

Reinstalling GPU drivers with DDU in safe mode

Running games off a SSD instead of a HDD (someone suggested it might be a loading time issue).

Adding extra fans to my system (currently 7 fans configured as 5x intake and 2 as exhaust).

A plethora of other fixes and tips suggested of reddit, LTT, TH etc including fiddling with power settings and plans, disconnecting my secondary monitor and so on.

Now I've had an EVGA 750w G PSU fail on me last year and because they are shit at RMA-ing I eventually bought a Corsair HX850i in the month I was waiting on EVGA.

The PSU is literally the only component I haven't swapped so everything seems to point at that, I find it hard to believe that I am THAT unlucky to have TWO PSUs from "reputable" manufacturers fail on within the space of one year but I guess stranger things have happened.

So what do you guys think? Any suggestions?

Specs:

Ryzen 2700x (no oc) on Noctua NH D15

TridentZ 16GB RBG RAM, 3466Mhz DOCP

EVGA 2080ti XC (no oc)

OS on Samsung Evo 970 M.2 500GB SSD; Games running off a Samsung Evo 860 1TB; 2 TB WD Black as extra storage.

PSU: Corsair HX850i

3x Noctua 120mm iPPC 2000 fans, 3x Corsair ML120, 1x Noctua Chromax 140mm

Update!

Ran pretty much all of the benchmarks/stress tests I could think of: Prime95, Memtest, Firestrike, Time Spy, Cinebench R20, Heaven, Valley, Windows Memory Diagnostic and probably more that I can't recall right now. No instability, no crashes,  CPU sits at max 67C, GPU got to 84C in Time Spy at 4K but no artifacts or other issues.

Your GPU is overclocked like most not reference cards. Try to underclock it using MSI Afterburner. Underclock both - core and memory (start with -100 and -200, but for tests you can underclock to the max, just to be sure is it your problem).

2 minutes ago, homeap5 said:

Your GPU is overclocked like most not reference cards. Try to underclock it using MSI Afterburner. Underclock both - core and memory (start with -100 and -200).

Been there, done that.

Tried overvolting and undervolting too. 

No dice :(

I still don't think it's PSU. Your card may be just bad. Personally I don't understand that race "who made faster card". Differences are small but lifetime may be much shorter.

Just now, homeap5 said:

I still don't think it's PSU. Your card may be just bad. Personally I don't understand that race "who made faster card". Differences are small but lifetime may be much shorter.

I've had it for a good year. It started doing this around November. Never OC'd or anything... i guess it's in line with crappy EVGA products I've experienced. Last purchase.

15 minutes ago, RaevThaonai said:

I've had it for a good year. It started doing this around November. Never OC'd or anything... i guess it's in line with crappy EVGA products I've experienced. Last purchase.

EVGA is considered one of best manufacturers. But personally, when I read opinions and comments to their products, I don't know why. But hey - many people think Gigabyte made good products and I never trusted that brand (based on my bad experience with some of their products and because competition in their case means lower price only).

I have now my new 1660 super and first what I set was disabling half passive mode by set 20% fan minimum and underclock to reference speed. At least will last longer.

Have you tried running any benchmarking programs to see if it crashes under a synthetic load?  Kinda helps determine if it's a hardware or software issue.

Heaven, Valley, 3DMark TimeSpy, FireStrike, Cinebench, MemTest86...I can't think of any other atm.

4 minutes ago, johnny5c said:

Have you tried running any benchmarking programs to see if it crashes under a synthetic load?  Kinda helps determine if it's a hardware or software issue.

1 minute ago, RaevThaonai said:

Heaven, Valley, 3DMark TimeSpy, FireStrike, Cinebench, MemTest86...I can't think of any other atm.

Does it crash while running them?

3 minutes ago, RaevThaonai said:

Nope.

That rules out the PSU and any cooling issues.  What motherboard are you using.

Just now, johnny5c said:

That rules out the PSU and any cooling issues.  What motherboard are you using.

Asus Crosshair VII Hero (Wifi)

2 minutes ago, RaevThaonai said:

Asus Crosshair VII Hero (Wifi)

I have the same board.  Did you use the drivers from the Asus site?  I know they released a updated chipset driver that fixed crashing in some games like Destiny 2.

Just now, johnny5c said:

I have the same board.  Did you use the drivers from the Asus site?  I know they released a updated chipset driver that fixed crashing in some games like Destiny 2.

This is actually my 3rd time reinstalling Windows. I tried downloading the latest drivers and installing them with the ethernet cable pulled out. Then I tried using Asus Grid and it did a pretty good job at installing everything.  Whichever way it didn't seem to make a big difference...

4 minutes ago, RaevThaonai said:

This is actually my 3rd time reinstalling Windows. I tried downloading the latest drivers and installing them with the ethernet cable pulled out. Then I tried using Asus Grid and it did a pretty good job at installing everything.  Whichever way it didn't seem to make a big difference...

The only other thing I can think off is that the last couple BIOS versions had game and M.2 fixes so would update if you haven't already.

1 minute ago, johnny5c said:

The only other thing I can think off is that the last couple BIOS versions had game and M.2 fixes so would update if you haven't already.

On 3004 (latest BIOS) atm.

What BIOS? What drivers? Guys, read what OP wrote - it works for year without problems with that "old" drivers and bios.