Recommendations on Build

Psywar

Good evening everyone!

This has been a long time coming for me.

My current PC is about 9 years old with some newer parts that needed upgrading.
I am currently running:

AMD FX-8350
ASUS M5A97 R2.0 Motherboard
32GB G.Skill Ram
Nvidia GTX 1050Ti

About 6 months ago I upgraded the Ram from 16 to 32 in hopes to get another year out of this machine.
It worked alright, but it is getting very sluggish and I am really having a hard time doing anything on it at this point.

A little backstory - I finally got my Bachelor's degree in April of 2018. I am currently 37 years old so I am really late to the game.
I got a job in IT a month later in May of 2018. I was doing normal IT Help Desk support things. 6 months later at the same company I was promoted to basically a Jr. Sys Admin.
I currently manage the entire company's infrastructure (pfSense, HAProxy, Zabbix etc.) We are also a cloud based company and we host our own products so I do all the setup of new cloud customer systems.
I don't make very much money and I have been trying to learn as much about everything that I currently need to manage on my offtime at home. This is why I upgraded to the 32GB of ram for Hyper-V instances.
I wanted to be able to load up Linux VM's and pfSense VM's etc. to continue to learn more about this stuff and get good enough at it to add it to my resume so I can hopefully find a good paying job.

This is the main reason I need to upgrade my PC, but like most everyone else here I do love playing video games.
I am not a super hardcore gamer anymore though. I mostly play games like the new Dragonball Kakarot or Xenoverse. I am really looking forward to the new Doom game. Star Wars SWTOR.
On my new build I would like to be able to game as well.
I also do Photography and I will be using Luminar and Affinity which are cheaper versions of Adobe products like Lightroom and Photoshop.

I was hoping I could post what I was looking at building and getting tips on what I could replace/add or whatever. I don't really have a price range in mind. I would like to stay in under $3,000USD.
The lower the better, but I do have a max.

I had my heart set on the AMD 3950X, but I cannot justify the extra $300 I don't think.

New Build:

Ryzen 9 3900X
NZXT Kraken X72 AIO

ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero Motherboard w/ wifi (I am normally hardwired, but I would like wifi capability)

G.Skill Trident Z Neo 32GB (2 x 16) DDR4-3600 (I have been reading that the 3600 memory is the Ryzen sweet spot?)

OS Storage: Corsair MP600 Force Series Gen4 1TB M.2

Games Storage: Samsung 970 Evo 1TB M.2

Not sure on other storage.

Not sure on video card.
I need a new monitor. I would like to go with a 27" something for gaming.

I don't think I am going to be overclocking, but I might give it a go if it is going to net a lot better performance.
I already have a really nice case (Fractal Meshify S2) and I will be using RGB thus the RGB Ram.

As I mentioned above I wanted to go with the 3900X possibly 3950X because I will be using this machine for learning and would like to create and use multiple Hyper-V environments.Also why I wanted to go with at least 32GB of Ram.. I was thinking possibly 64?

Should I go with like a 4TB SSD Drive for other storage like photos and what not or should I just use the old mechanical drive for all that junk?
I kind of want to go high end video card. Something I don't need to worry about upgrading for a while. I was considering a Nvidia 2080. I seen one for around $800 which was not super shabby. I dunno.
I thought maybe the 2060 Super would be fine as well.

Then I would like a new gaming monitor as the two I currently have Dell 2007WFP 20" and ASUS VS247H-P 23.6 neither of these are gaming monitors. Neither of them use Display Port either.
The Dell Monitor I really like for editing photos on. It was a really great IPS panel back in 2007 and the picture on it is still really amazing. This ASUS Monitor even being so much newer does not even compare when it comes to color accuracy.

I was kind of hoping to get one of the new IPS gaming panels so I get the best of both worlds.

Let me know what you all think.
I am really sorry this is so long. I just want this build to be great. I tend to build a PC every 8-10 years so I would like it to really hold up.
The other thing I was kind of wondering is if I should wait a month or so for new motherboards and video cards to drop.

OLD BUILD:
Old_Build.png.5d378521fd1d7e7caa372fa8cd034312.png

NEW BUILD:
New_Build.png.6f5acb00d278af7e1e2fc800ac146627.png

Thanks again for reading and helping out!

-Chuck

What model PSU are you using to power this behemoth?

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

I completely forgot about that.
I am currently running a Corsair RM850x 80 Plus Gold Cert PSU.
This PSU is only a few months old as my old PSU started making this weird clicking noise and Corsair gave this to me as a replacement.
I might get a new PSU for this new build because my plan was to keep this current PC as my main Plex Server.

2 hours ago, Psywar said:

OS Storage: Corsair MP600 Force Series Gen4 1TB M.2

Games Storage: Samsung 970 Evo 1TB M.2

Os takes at most 100gb. Unless you plan on javing other stuff on your os drive, don't get 1tb, it makes no sense.

45 minutes ago, boggy77 said:

Os takes at most 100gb. Unless you plan on javing other stuff on your os drive, don't get 1tb, it makes no sense.

Good call!