Why does Modern Warfare lag so hard?

John55
Go to solution Solved by ARikozuM,

Most of my issues went away when I put it on an SSD. I don't quite know how the game is loading levels, but it looks to be by piecemeal. 

Could you post your entire specs including where the game is installed? 

Edit: I also wonder if the game is reading and sending data over network even while in campaign. 

Lucky you guys who plays on newer gen CPUs

I'm playing on a core i7 3770k (not overclocked) with 2 x 1080 in SLi (SLi doesn't works either for this game afaik) and I have random input lag since the last update for the new season.

I'm using an SSD for my games (have a 2TB Samsung 860 EVO)

A friend of mine has a i9 9900k with an 2080ti and he has the same weird input lag (he has a gaming monitor 144hz, I don't)

I just think this is a buggy and crappy game.

Every other game (Destiny, Overwatch, etc.) works just fine

On 2/18/2020 at 7:32 PM, raskitoma said:

Lucky you guys who plays on newer gen CPUs

I'm playing on a core i7 3770k (not overclocked) with 2 x 1080 in SLi (SLi doesn't works either for this game afaik) and I have random input lag since the last update for the new season.

I'm using an SSD for my games (have a 2TB Samsung 860 EVO)

A friend of mine has a i9 9900k with an 2080ti and he has the same weird input lag (he has a gaming monitor 144hz, I don't)

I just think this is a buggy and crappy game.

Every other game (Destiny, Overwatch, etc.) works just fine

@raskitoma If you game is in VSync mode or locked in 60 frames then the input lag will be noticeable. 

• 1 month later...

I just built a new system. I’m using an i9 overclocked to 5ghz, a strix 1080ti, and 64 gb of ram running at 2400. I am also using a 1440 gaming monitor. Initially modern warfare was running smooth. I don’t know what happened, but now I’m getting these weird menu lags, and during multiplayer matches, I get this sort of stuttering that I notice especially when I’m running. It will sort of step ahead fast at moments,then go back to normal. It feels pretty laggy. I tried optimizing the settings in COD, I also tried disabling any overlays, and closed programs not in use. Nothing seems to help. I am also using a very fast connection, and my ping is usually around 20-30 at the high end. It’s really frustrating. My games are running on a Sabrent NVMe 2tb drive, and my main OS is on a Samsung 2tb nvme.  

• 3 weeks later...

I have an i7-8700k (overclocked to 4.5GH) with 16GB DDR4-2400 ram and MSI GTX 1080 (with a 2080 super on the way). I have bad spikes where the game freezes up on everything except the story mode. I've read around briefly and saw that most people started having real problems after the warzone beta came out. I'm going to test with unlimited frame rate since that seems to have worked for a couple people. 

P.S. Every other game i own can be run on ultra with no lag whatsoever. This includes The Witcher with 4k textures. 

P.P.S. Just tested it with uncapped and even upped the render and it ran without a hitch for a game of warzone. I'll keep playing and see if it happens as frequently or not.