Home cloud server for storing iphone photos

I have a home server that I would like to use to store photos from iphone devices and I would like to be able to transfer photos from devices easily. I was thinking setting up FTP would work, but I wanted to see what other options there were available.

Don't use FTP. Use SFTP.

As for other options. I think you'd be looking at pre-built solutions for cloud storage. If you're looking to DIY it SFTP is usually the easy way to go.

I use SMB to access my server from my local network and SSH or SFTP to access it remotely. My server is running debian and openmediavault to manage file sharing and other stuff. 

On 1/25/2020 at 12:51 PM, Windows7ge said:

Don't use FTP. Use SFTP.

As for other options. I think you'd be looking at pre-built solutions for cloud storage. If you're looking to DIY it SFTP is usually the easy way to go.

The thing is id rather not buy a pre-setup DIY solution as I already have the infrastructure and hardware in place that can handle this. SFTP is a good idea, but the only problem is how to set it up on the phone for the transfer. This kind of stuff is completely foreign to me.

On 1/25/2020 at 1:09 PM, IgorM said:

I use SMB to access my server from my local network and SSH or SFTP to access it remotely. My server is running debian and openmediavault to manage file sharing and other stuff. 

That is good to know, any tips to have this work with Windows Server? If needed i can swap to a type 1 hyper-visor and have a linux distro and windows server running simultaneously. (hardware is more than capable)

21 minutes ago, ryguy015 said:

The thing is id rather not buy a pre-setup DIY solution as I already have the infrastructure and hardware in place that can handle this. SFTP is a good idea, but the only problem is how to set it up on the phone for the transfer. This kind of stuff is completely foreign to me.

Well, you need to setup a server/service that runs SSH/SFTP and hosts the data on a drive or pool of drives. From there you need to pick an app on your phone that supports SFTP. You can setup password authentication or Public/Private Key authentication (what I recommend). The latter being better if you want to access this from anywhere (on the go).

6 hours ago, ryguy015 said:

That is good to know, any tips to have this work with Windows Server? If needed i can swap to a type 1 hyper-visor and have a linux distro and windows server running simultaneously. (hardware is more than capable)

I haven't tried to do it on Windows server, but maybe this can give you some hint https://tech.xenit.se/installing-and-configuring-sftp-server-on-windows-server-2016/

On 1/25/2020 at 8:47 PM, ryguy015 said:

I have a home server that I would like to use to store photos from iphone devices and I would like to be able to transfer photos from devices easily. I was thinking setting up FTP would work, but I wanted to see what other options there were available.

Mmmno, don't use FTP, SFTP or anything like that. Just set up a Nextcloud-server, install the Nextcloud-app on your iPhone and POOF -- you can from there on easily access your files and the Nextcloud-app can even be setup to automatically upload your photos and videos to your Nextcloud-server. Personally, I really like the ability to just automatically upload photos, so I don't have to manually do it.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.