Unstable AMD Drivers

muindor
Go to solution Solved by IcarusLSC,

NVidia is just as bad for drivers, when the 970's came out I had major drivers issues for ages til the suddenly disappeared in a new version. NVidia blamed the cards at first for ages and I went though a ton of them (and other hardware) testing and finally they said it was the drivers all along!

I think they swap 'turns' with bad drivers, AMD is bad for a bit then Nvidia sucks. Right now its AMDs turn :/

Hi All, 

I just wanted to a bit of advice. I've recently built my first PC in 10 years, and my first ever with AMD GPU (5700XT). Only issue is, the last stable driver for me is 19.12.1. I've tried every version after that and always have some issue or another. This isn't a huge issue as 19.12.1 works great, but is this a common issue with AMD software? I've always heard AMD software was less reliable than team green, but I was also wondering if it was an issue with my specific card.

Radeon Software Version - 19.12.1
Radeon Software Edition - Adrenalin 2019
Graphics Chipset - AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT (Gigabyte OC Windforce)
Memory Size - 8176 MB
Memory Type - GDDR6
Core Clock - 1835 MHz
Windows Version - Windows 10 (64 bit)
System Memory - 16 GB
CPU Type - AMD Ryzen 5 3600 6-Core Processor

Thanks!

Just now, muindor said:

is this a common issue with AMD software? I've always heard AMD software was less reliable than team green

Yeah pretty much, every major AMD driver release is a major pain in the butt, combine that with a new architecture you get lots of driver issues. This happened with GCN1.0 and it took them 3 years to fix their drivers, then they moved on to "crimson" and cycle restarted. 

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

Last time I had a driver issue with AMD, I was raiding during WoW's WotLK expansion, with either an HD 6850, or maybe an R7 270 (?) - can't remember which. Have used a 290 & 390 since then, when I've been team red. (Had an Alienware laptop when WotLK launched & it actually had Crossfire that worked flawlessly)

ReLive has given me issues, but the drivers themselves haven't for several years. And that's almost the exact same for Nvidia. I've used 750 Ti, 970, 1050 Ti, 1060, 1070 and 2060 - zero driver issues but a few scattered problems with the GFE overlay - both 2.x and the newer versions. 

I'm not discounting anyone's issues, just saying that it's not all Doom & gloom. 

NVidia is just as bad for drivers, when the 970's came out I had major drivers issues for ages til the suddenly disappeared in a new version. NVidia blamed the cards at first for ages and I went though a ton of them (and other hardware) testing and finally they said it was the drivers all along!

I think they swap 'turns' with bad drivers, AMD is bad for a bit then Nvidia sucks. Right now its AMDs turn :/

·Ï¢årµ§·

i7 4790k · 32GB Kingston HyperX · MSI Gaming 5 · ... · 30" HP ZR30W + 27" Samsung 275T · 2x240GB Intel 530 in Raid 0 + 2x1TB Crucial MX500 · Lain-Li X2000F · Antec Signature SG-850 · BeQuiet! Dark Rock 3 Pro · Logitech Z5500 · Win10pro 64bit

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/25/2020 at 11:46 AM, muindor said:

Hi All, 

I just wanted to a bit of advice. I've recently built my first PC in 10 years, and my first ever with AMD GPU (5700XT). Only issue is, the last stable driver for me is 19.12.1. I've tried every version after that and always have some issue or another. This isn't a huge issue as 19.12.1 works great, but is this a common issue with AMD software? I've always heard AMD software was less reliable than team green, but I was also wondering if it was an issue with my specific card.

Radeon Software Version - 19.12.1
Radeon Software Edition - Adrenalin 2019
Graphics Chipset - AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT (Gigabyte OC Windforce)
Memory Size - 8176 MB
Memory Type - GDDR6
Core Clock - 1835 MHz
Windows Version - Windows 10 (64 bit)
System Memory - 16 GB
CPU Type - AMD Ryzen 5 3600 6-Core Processor

Thanks!

Thanks for the info on 19.12.1, I updated drivers a few weeks ago and have been having a lot of trouble in Blizzard games ever since. I haven't had a ton of time to track down the issue yet, but I'm going to rollback to 19.12.1 and see if that solves any of the problems I have been having. Also, Radeon software doesn't seem to see my blizzard games, I don't know if anybody else has had issues with that? Frustrating, it always seems to be something...

@muindor

I have a rx5700 and had a hell of a time with driver issues. I ended up on the same drivers your using and it’s the best one I’ve tried so far. 

With the new drivers the card would artifact when ever I started a game up. It would also artifact on the desktop. 

I rolled back drivers one by one til I got to the one you use and everything has been great.  I put the 5700xt bios on my card and it’s killing it framerate wise on 1080p games. 

The drivers do suck and unfortunately I wasted about 20 hours of trouble shooting time til I figured it all out 

No cpu mobo or ram atm

2tb wd black gen 4 nvme 

2tb seagate hdd

Corsair rm750x 

Be quiet 500dx 

Gigabyte m34wq 3440x1440

Xbox series x