How to remove wraith stealth fan

RIL34

Hi guys, I am in the process of building my PC and I got a bit too excited and put the CPU fan in the wrong way (I have 4 memory sticks that I need to put in and it blocks them). Naturally I went to unscrew it and flip it around but there seems to be some sort of mechanism that prevents it from coming off. Something to do with the springs. See pictures here and here. I don't want to break anything and I'm also hoping I haven't ruined the thermal paste on the CPU because I don't have any more with me. Any help would be appreciated. I've watched youtube videos but they all seem to be able to take it off just fine, perhaps I screwed it in wrong?  

2 minutes ago, RIL34 said:

Hi guys, I am in the process of building my PC and I got a bit too excited and put the CPU fan in the wrong way (I have 4 memory sticks that I need to put in and it blocks them). Naturally I went to unscrew it and flip it around but there seems to be some sort of mechanism that prevents it from coming off. Something to do with the springs. See pictures here and here. I don't want to break anything and I'm also hoping I haven't ruined the thermal paste on the CPU because I don't have any more with me. Any help would be appreciated. I've watched youtube videos but they all seem to be able to take it off just fine, perhaps I screwed it in wrong?  

You just unscrewed the same way you crewed it, if you can't, try with your fingers it shouldn't be that tied 

CPU:i7 9700k 5047.5Mhz All Cores Mobo: MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Edge AC, RAM:Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB 3200MHz DDR4 OC 3467Mhz GPU:MSI RTX 2070 ARMOR 8GB OC Storage:Samsung SSD 970 EVO NVMe M.2 250GB, 2x SSD ADATA PRO SP900 256GB, HDD WD CB 2TB, HDD GREEN 2TB PSU: Seasonic focus plus 750w Gold Display(s): 1st: LG 27UK650-W, 4K, IPS, HDR10, 10bit(8bit + A-FRC). 2nd: Samsung 24" LED Monitor (SE390), Cooling:Fazn CPU Cooler Aero 120T Push/pull Corsair ML PRO Fans Keyboard: Corsair K95 Platinum RGB mx Rapidfire Mouse:Razer Naga Chroma  Headset: Razer Kraken 7.1 Chroma Sound: Logitech X-540 5.1 Surround Sound Speaker Case: Modded Case Inverted, 5 intake 120mm, one exhaust 120mm.

@Constantin I figured it should be easy which is why I think I've fucked something up, I think the screw has gone weird or something here is a video of me unscrewing, I just keep doing that and it seems to go no where, it also peels the paint off the spring. 

When I try to pull it off the board I cannot easily and the board bends. The screws don't seem to want to come loose of the board. 

@Constantin I just got it off! I flipped the board and used the backside to get it free. Do you think I will be right without applying more thermal paste because I really had to twist the cpu around to get it off and it messed up the paste a bit

Just keep unscrewing each side a bit. Usually cross pattern works best of unscrewing too.

And don't rip the cooler right of. Go kinda slowly, because otherwise you could take the CPU out of the socket.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

@Constantin I just got it off! I flipped the board and used the backside to get it free. Do you think I will be right without applying more thermal paste because I really had to twist the cpu around to get it off and it messed up the paste a bit

If you didn't touch the paste it will be fine (I assume you just built the PC, it hasn't been standing running for a couple days?)

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

@minibois Just managed to get it off and the CPU didn't come with it so that's a bonus. The question is now that I've messed up the thermal paste because I had to spin it and twist it to get it off do you think I should purchase more, and should I just add a dot or clean off the whole thing and then apply? 

@minibois Just managed to get it off and the CPU didn't come with it so that's a bonus. The question is now that I've messed up the thermal paste because I had to spin it and twist it to get it off do you think I should purchase more, and should I just add a dot or clean off the whole thing and then apply? 

You should either:

- clean up and reapply

Or

- just install the cooler again

Don't apply new paste before removing the old paste.

When you install the cooler with a cross pattern for screwing in, you also spread the thermal paste a bit, so if the paste is not dried up that would honestly be fine.

@minibois Okay great, I'll put it back on now. This is what it looks like . Really appreciate the help. I suppose if it's running bad I can always clean and apply new paste but I figured I'd rather do it properly now than later.

1 minute ago, RIL34 said:

@minibois Okay great, I'll put it back on now. This is what it looks like . Really appreciate the help. I suppose if it's running bad I can always clean and apply new paste but I figured I'd rather do it properly now than later.

It's fine just put it back on

CPU:i7 9700k 5047.5Mhz All Cores Mobo: MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Edge AC, RAM:Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB 3200MHz DDR4 OC 3467Mhz GPU:MSI RTX 2070 ARMOR 8GB OC Storage:Samsung SSD 970 EVO NVMe M.2 250GB, 2x SSD ADATA PRO SP900 256GB, HDD WD CB 2TB, HDD GREEN 2TB PSU: Seasonic focus plus 750w Gold Display(s): 1st: LG 27UK650-W, 4K, IPS, HDR10, 10bit(8bit + A-FRC). 2nd: Samsung 24" LED Monitor (SE390), Cooling:Fazn CPU Cooler Aero 120T Push/pull Corsair ML PRO Fans Keyboard: Corsair K95 Platinum RGB mx Rapidfire Mouse:Razer Naga Chroma  Headset: Razer Kraken 7.1 Chroma Sound: Logitech X-540 5.1 Surround Sound Speaker Case: Modded Case Inverted, 5 intake 120mm, one exhaust 120mm.