Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Krishna16

Ryzen 5 3600 hitting 85°C with stock cooler.

Recommended Posts

Posted · Original PosterOP

Hey guys. So i recently built my own gaming rig and I have the Asus Tuf B450 Plus Gaming Motherboard, Ryzen 5 3600,16 gigs of ram and an RTX 2060 enclosed in the CM K501L case. I performed an overclock on my processor from 3.6 to 3.95 GHz using the OC Tuner option provided in the bios of my motherboard. I have seen a performance bump though, but my temperatures are higher than before, almost hitting 85° by the end of a single Cinebench R20 benchmark. Any recommendations on how I can get the temps in check??

Link to post
Share on other sites

The automatic overclock likely set the voltage higher than it needs to be. Try turning the voltage down a little bit (0.025) at a time and check if it's stable with something like prime95 and asus realbench for several hours. You can use a negative voltage offset which will allow the motherboard to dynamically adjust voltage just at a lower level. Less voltage means less heat, but ultimately you'll want to get a better cooler. You should be able to get a budget cooler which will do substantially better than the included Stealth cooler, $30 will get a large gain in cooling.

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Krishna16 said:

Hey guys. So i recently built my own gaming rig and I have the Asus Tuf B450 Plus Gaming Motherboard, Ryzen 5 3600,16 gigs of ram and an RTX 2060 enclosed in the CM K501L case. I performed an overclock on my processor from 3.6 to 3.95 GHz using the OC Tuner option provided in the bios of my motherboard. I have seen a performance bump though, but my temperatures are higher than before, almost hitting 85° by the end of a single Cinebench R20 benchmark. Any recommendations on how I can get the temps in check??

Stock cooler= no OC

Buy a mid range 30$ cooler, you will be just fine.


CPU:i7 9700k 5047.5Mhz All Cores Mobo: MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Edge AC, RAM:Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB 3200MHz DDR4 OC 3467Mhz GPU:MSI RTX 2070 ARMOR 8GB OC Storage:Samsung SSD 970 EVO NVMe M.2 250GB, 2x SSD ADATA PRO SP900 256GB, HDD WD CB 2TB, HDD GREEN 2TB PSU: Seasonic focus plus 750w Gold Display(s): 1st: LG 27UK650-W, 4K, IPS, HDR10, 10bit(8bit + A-FRC). 2nd: Samsung 24" LED Monitor (SE390), Cooling:Fazn CPU Cooler Aero 120T Push/pull Corsair ML PRO Fans Keyboard: Corsair K95 Platinum RGB mx Rapidfire Mouse:Razer Naga Chroma  Headset: Razer Kraken 7.1 Chroma Sound: Logitech X-540 5.1 Surround Sound Speaker Case: Modded Case Inverted, 5 intake 120mm, one exhaust 120mm.

Link to post
Share on other sites

auto OC probably way to generous with vcore voltage.

Turn that off, enable PBO, set a -50-75mV negative vcore offset and call it a day. 85celsius with the stock cooler seems average, keep in mind, the Wraith Stealth is borderline garbage.

 

TLDR: OC off, negative vcore offset. 


Please, whenever I make a grammatic mistake, correct it. I have been told, that my grammar is borderline abysmal. I would like to improve it. Your feedback is invaluable!

Seasonic Pengwin Pack

Imperial March. The Emperorz

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
17 minutes ago, Bitter said:

The automatic overclock likely set the voltage higher than it needs to be. Try turning the voltage down a little bit (0.025) at a time and check if it's stable with something like prime95 and asus realbench for several hours. You can use a negative voltage offset which will allow the motherboard to dynamically adjust voltage just at a lower level. Less voltage means less heat, but ultimately you'll want to get a better cooler. You should be able to get a budget cooler which will do substantially better than the included Stealth cooler, $30 will get a large gain in cooling.

So I was thinking of adding two more fans to my case since I'm using just one exhaust fan and one RGB fan which were included with the case. Will that help in anyway? Oh and yes, the stock voltage which came out of the box was set to 1.42v whereas the OC Tuner set it down to 1.35v

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
18 minutes ago, Constantin said:

Stock cooler= no OC

Buy a mid range 30$ cooler, you will be just fine.

Can you recommend me one? I stay in India btw and will adding two more case fans do any good (currently I'm using the two fans that came with my case, one in the front and one exhaust)?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Auto overclock is usually crap, voltage is turn all the way up so the temps are way high. I'd suggest you learn to do it yourself.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
Just now, tp95112 said:

Auto overclock is usually crap, voltage is turn all the way up so the temps are way high. I'd suggest you learn to do it yourself.

Well surprisingly, the core voltage out of the box was at 1.42v whereas the auto overclock set it to 1.35v

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
23 minutes ago, schwellmo92 said:

Disable OC Tuner, the standard 3600 gets to 3.9GHz stock and 4.2GHz single, no point OCing to 3.95GHz.

Tried that already. But my chip boosts only upto 3.84 on all cores. I'm not being able to achieve 4.2 even on any one of those cores.

Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Krishna16 said:

Can you recommend me one? I stay in India btw and will adding two more case fans do any good (currently I'm using the two fans that came with my case, one in the front and one exhaust)?

https://www.amazon.com/Cooler-Master-FBA_4719512033494-Hyper-Prozessorkühler/dp/B0068OI7T8

 

Install all the fans in the case intake and only the back exhaust


CPU:i7 9700k 5047.5Mhz All Cores Mobo: MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Edge AC, RAM:Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB 3200MHz DDR4 OC 3467Mhz GPU:MSI RTX 2070 ARMOR 8GB OC Storage:Samsung SSD 970 EVO NVMe M.2 250GB, 2x SSD ADATA PRO SP900 256GB, HDD WD CB 2TB, HDD GREEN 2TB PSU: Seasonic focus plus 750w Gold Display(s): 1st: LG 27UK650-W, 4K, IPS, HDR10, 10bit(8bit + A-FRC). 2nd: Samsung 24" LED Monitor (SE390), Cooling:Fazn CPU Cooler Aero 120T Push/pull Corsair ML PRO Fans Keyboard: Corsair K95 Platinum RGB mx Rapidfire Mouse:Razer Naga Chroma  Headset: Razer Kraken 7.1 Chroma Sound: Logitech X-540 5.1 Surround Sound Speaker Case: Modded Case Inverted, 5 intake 120mm, one exhaust 120mm.

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Krishna16 said:

Tried that already. But my chip boosts only upto 3.84 on all cores. I'm not being able to achieve 4.2 even on any one of those cores.

Under single core load it'll boost cores higher, all-core load will be less. If you're only getting 3.84GHz that means the chip must be running hot, it'll boost higher the cooler it is. What is your ambient temp? If your ambient temp is like 30c+ you'll need to get an aftermarket cooler.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
31 minutes ago, schwellmo92 said:

Under single core load it'll boost cores higher, all-core load will be less. If you're only getting 3.84GHz that means the chip must be running hot, it'll boost higher the cooler it is. What is your ambient temp? If your ambient temp is like 30c+ you'll need to get an aftermarket cooler.

In that case, i definitely need an aftermarket cooler.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Krishna16 said:

So I was thinking of adding two more fans to my case since I'm using just one exhaust fan and one RGB fan which were included with the case. Will that help in anyway? Oh and yes, the stock voltage which came out of the box was set to 1.42v whereas the OC Tuner set it down to 1.35v

Are you checking the voltage under single, multi, and all core load? It'll be different under each situation due to LLC and vdroop. A MSI B450 Tomahawk I'm working with here running a R5 1600 AF actually droops core voltage with LLC set to lowest level when all cores are loaded.. A different board, Asus X470-F Gaming with a 2700X, droops vcore much less with the least aggressive LLC.

 

Either way, that CPU should be able to run stable with substantially less voltage than 1.4 or 1.3. Try setting a -0.050 offset then if that's stable try -0.100 and if that's stable back it down some more. The 1600 AF is running at -0.150 (71W TDP) with the lowest LLC and my 2700X is running -0.100 (170W) with the lowest LLC as well. Both are self clocking up to their absolute max and holding there without issues, even getting a little higher than the stated all core boost on less intense all core work loads. The much hotter 2700X is also able to hold it's full specified speeds with the undervolt. Heck, the same works for graphics cards that run hot and drop clocks, turn the volts down and they'll run cooler and quieter while also being able to self-clock to faster speeds if that's a function that they have.

 

Your 3600 on the Stealth cooler though, that's a tough one. I do believe if you can turn the volts down and get TDP (CPU Package Power) wattage down to the 70-75W range it should be able to self-clock with PBO and XFR to a better speed than your manual overclock, you ought to be able to run it down to 1.2, 1.1, or maybe even lower voltage than that. Try it out while you're waiting to get a better cooler!

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
On 1/25/2020 at 8:06 PM, Bitter said:

Are you checking the voltage under single, multi, and all core load? It'll be different under each situation due to LLC and vdroop. A MSI B450 Tomahawk I'm working with here running a R5 1600 AF actually droops core voltage with LLC set to lowest level when all cores are loaded.. A different board, Asus X470-F Gaming with a 2700X, droops vcore much less with the least aggressive LLC.

 

Either way, that CPU should be able to run stable with substantially less voltage than 1.4 or 1.3. Try setting a -0.050 offset then if that's stable try -0.100 and if that's stable back it down some more. The 1600 AF is running at -0.150 (71W TDP) with the lowest LLC and my 2700X is running -0.100 (170W) with the lowest LLC as well. Both are self clocking up to their absolute max and holding there without issues, even getting a little higher than the stated all core boost on less intense all core work loads. The much hotter 2700X is also able to hold it's full specified speeds with the undervolt. Heck, the same works for graphics cards that run hot and drop clocks, turn the volts down and they'll run cooler and quieter while also being able to self-clock to faster speeds if that's a function that they have.

 

Your 3600 on the Stealth cooler though, that's a tough one. I do believe if you can turn the volts down and get TDP (CPU Package Power) wattage down to the 70-75W range it should be able to self-clock with PBO and XFR to a better speed than your manual overclock, you ought to be able to run it down to 1.2, 1.1, or maybe even lower voltage than that. Try it out while you're waiting to get a better cooler!

Hey man. So I have set VDDCR CPU Voltage to 1.1 with an offset of 0.05 and it seems to be stable, but when running Cinebench R20, the individual cores are eating up about 1.4v, in multi threaded about 1.3v, single threaded about 1.35v. When running multi-threaded cinebench test, my temps are going upto 83° and on single core, 65°. One more thing, my RAM was also set to 1.35v by the OC Tuner which now I have set to 1.34v.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Krishna16 said:

Hey man. So I have set VDDCR CPU Voltage to 1.1 with an offset of 0.05 and it seems to be stable, but when running Cinebench R20, the individual cores are eating up about 1.4v, in multi threaded about 1.3v, single threaded about 1.35v. When running multi-threaded cinebench test, my temps are going upto 83° and on single core, 65°. One more thing, my RAM was also set to 1.35v by the OC Tuner which now I have set to 1.34v.

Set the LLC (load line calibration) lower (which for MSI is a the higher number oddly). Try LLC of 5 and go from there if it's stable, I've got both my 2700X and 1600 AF on the weakest LLC on their boards with an undervolt as well. 83C is better so the drop in voltage is working, try the LLC setting and report back, ideally you'd want the LLC to just keep the voltage from dropping under load so if you can see around 1.1 volts with the cores loaded that's better as long as it's stable. Seeing the volts peak up to 1.4 intermittently for very short bursts is normal for Ryzen when single cores are boosted to max for very short moments under light loads.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
1 hour ago, Bitter said:

Set the LLC (load line calibration) lower (which for MSI is a the higher number oddly). Try LLC of 5 and go from there if it's stable, I've got both my 2700X and 1600 AF on the weakest LLC on their boards with an undervolt as well. 83C is better so the drop in voltage is working, try the LLC setting and report back, ideally you'd want the LLC to just keep the voltage from dropping under load so if you can see around 1.1 volts with the cores loaded that's better as long as it's stable. Seeing the volts peak up to 1.4 intermittently for very short bursts is normal for Ryzen when single cores are boosted to max for very short moments under light loads.

Okay so I took your advice and undervolted my CPU to 1.2v with an offset of 0.1v and overclocked it to 3.9GHz. I'm now seeing temperatures come down to about 77-78 max and it is pretty stable here. I don't understand LLC much, so I don't want to fidget with something I don't know at the back of my hand, so I think I'll avoid that and should I get the voltage down a little more??

Link to post
Share on other sites

85c isn't the end of the world. IRL gaming etc. you won't encounter a scenario that's as demanding as CBR20. 

 

Plan on upgrading your cooler eventually. But don't stress about at 85c CBR20 test.


My System: i7-8700k 5.0ghz All-core delidded @1.365v // Cryorig H7 Quad Lumi // Gigabyte Aorus Z370 Gaming 5 // 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200 // XFX Radeon RX 5700 XT RAW II // NZXT S340 White // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w // Intel 660P 1TB NVME M.2 SSD/1TB Samsung 860 EVO/1TB 2.5" HGST HDD // Displays: ASUS VG248QE/Acer K242HYL/Acer K242HYL // Corsair K68 Mechanical Keyboard - Logitech G502 // Corsair H70 Gaming Headset

 

Wife's System: i7-8700 // Arctic Freezer 33 // Gigabyte Z390M Gaming // 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200 // Sapphire Vega 64 // Thermaltake Versa H17 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w // 1TB Samsung 860 EVO/500GB Silicon Power A55/4TB Western Digital HDD // Displays: ASUS VG245H/ASUS VP248Q // Corsair K68 Mechanical Keyboard // Logitech G602 // LG BDRW // NexStar 5.25" USB 3 Enclosure

 

TV Gamer: Ryzen 5 1600 4.0ghz All-core @1.425v // Wraith PRISM // Gigabyte B450 Aorus M // 16GB GeIL DDR4 3200 // XFX Radeon RX 580 8GB XXX Edition // Thermaltake Versa H17 // Corsair Vengeance Silver 650W // 120GB Sandisk SSD/120GB PNY CS900/4TB Western Digital Blue // Display: 50" Westinghouse 1080p // Rii Wireless Mini Keyboard w/Touchpad/Xbox One Controllers

 

Son's System: i5-9400 // Cryorig H7 Quad Lumi // ASRock Z370 Extreme 4 // 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDr4 3200 // ASUS RX 570 4GB OC // NZXT S340 Black // Seasonic S12II 620w Bronze // 525GB Crucial MX300/500GB Wester Digital Blue // Display: Dell P2417H - Eagletech KG010 Mechanical Keyboard // Logitech G203

 

Daughter's System: i3-8350k // Cooler Master i71c // MSI H310M Pro VDH-Plus // 16GB T-Force Vulkan 2666 (2400) // Zotac GTX 1060 3GB Mini // DarkFlash Micro ATX White // Corsair CX550 // 480GB PNY CS1311 SSD // Display: Scepter 20" 1080p - Logitech Keyboard and Mouse

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Too many posts to read so sorry if I'm repeating someone else.  

 

Take side covers off when testing.  Test gaming performance with overclock and without overclock...go with the settings that show a real benefit.  I'm reading comments from others that stock settings on 3600 chips works best for gaming...ymmv. 

 

IMHO 85c isn't bad if you are actually seeing a real increase in performance.  My 8700k can hit 85c briefly when stress testing... that's with an aftermarket air cooler.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
On 1/27/2020 at 9:15 PM, Stu_Bear said:

Too many posts to read so sorry if I'm repeating someone else.  

 

Take side covers off when testing.  Test gaming performance with overclock and without overclock...go with the settings that show a real benefit.  I'm reading comments from others that stock settings on 3600 chips works best for gaming...ymmv. 

 

IMHO 85c isn't bad if you are actually seeing a real increase in performance.  My 8700k can hit 85c briefly when stress testing... that's with an aftermarket air cooler.

Of course not, don't be sorry. Thanks for this idea too, I'll test it out and report back asap.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×