Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Fluffegan

Accidentally Uninstalled Steam

Posted · Original PosterOP

So I was running out of space on my system, and I copied all my steam data and games to my second hard drive. When I deleted all that data from the original drive I realized that some items had not been copied. I tried launching Warframe but of course it didn't. Before my mistake I was downloading Destiny 2. I was 67/83GBs complete. All my games are still on my desktop and I am currently reinstalling Steam. Will all my download progress from Destiny 2 be lost? And will I have to reinstall all my games?

2 minutes ago, Fluffegan said:

So I was running out of space on my system, and I copied all my steam data and games to my second hard drive. When I deleted all that data from the original drive I realized that some items had not been copied. I tried launching Warframe but of course it didn't. Before my mistake I was downloading Destiny 2. I was 67/83GBs complete. All my games are still on my desktop and I am currently reinstalling Steam. Will all my download progress from Destiny 2 be lost? And will I have to reinstall all my games?

with steam copy dont work , u need to move the file directly from the steam client

Posted · Original PosterOP

Yeah, I realized that after I did some research. Dumb of me. But will I have to reinstall my games is what I'm worried about.

Just now, Fluffegan said:

Yeah, I realized that after I did some research. Dumb of me. But will I have to reinstall my games is what I'm worried about.

normally yes , or maybe u will be lucky , i've done the same thing when i was switching to a ssd and all the game file was here but needed to reinstall anyway

You can go to Steam (in the top left) > Settings > Downloads > Steam Library Folders. From there you should select whatever folders you have your games installed at (or where you moved them) and it should recognise them, therefore you shouldn't have to reinstall them.

Normally, if you want to move a Steam game from one location to another, it's best to do it from within Steam itself (right click on the game > Properties > Local Files > Move Install Folder) to make sure that all the files get transferred correctly, so there aren't leftovers on the other drive that could potentially make the game not run.

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 | ASUS Strix Z390-F | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3000MHz | Intel 660p 1TB | Samsung 860 EVO 500GB | Western Digital Green 2TB | Corsair RM650x | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Fractal Design Define R6 

Laptop:  Apple MacBook Pro 13" 2018 (i5-8259U | 8GB RAM | 512GB SSD)

Peripherals: Steelseries Rival 600 & Logitech MX Master 3 | CM Storm Quickfire Ultimate (Cherry MX Blue) | BenQ BL2420PT | Sennheiser Game One

If you want to copy every games including currently downloading, backup your steamapps folder.

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |