Telling a laptop to use integrated graphics under certain conditions

Wendulan

Hi All,

So I've been noticing that my fans ramp up on my laptop as soon as I go on the desktop (I'm using a Animated Desktop Wallpaper via Wallpaper Engine).

Turns out that my laptop (Lenovo IdeaPad L340 Gaming) Uses the integrated graphics when I'm not using a 3d application.

This normally makes sense, since you don't need the power of the Nvidia GPU on the desktop or when browsing/working.

But I really don't like my laptop sounding like a jet engine while I'm doing these things.

So I've tried to change the power settings like this:

When plugged in, Always use Nvidia GPU

When on battery, Only use Nvidia GPU when using any 3d application

Now I've searched the web and all the settings on my PC on how to do this, but I've just not been able to find anything.

So I'm turning to you guys, any Idea how I might do something like this?

Specs (If needed)

Intel Core i7-9750H

Nvidia GTX1650

16 GB DDR4 RAM @ 2400Mhz

256GB SSD

1TB HDD

Thanks in advance

Wendulan

Laptop might be treating the animated wallpaper as a 3D application. Which also makes sense, that's gonna put a lot more strain on a GPU than just running a typical desktop background.

Edit: either that, or the Intel HD Graphics are what's making the fan speed ramp up due to having to run the animated background.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

8 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

Laptop might be treating the animated wallpaper as a 3D application. Which also makes sense, that's gonna put a lot more strain on a GPU than just running a typical desktop background.

Edit: either that, or the Intel HD Graphics are what's making the fan speed ramp up due to having to run the animated background.

Thanks for your reply, but I've already checked and Windows is actually using the Intel HD graphics. The Nvidia GPU is at 0% Usage while the Intel HD Graphics are somwhere in between 30% - 80% Usage. So it really isn't because the Nvidia GPU is generating a lot of heat but because the intel graphics get stressed about the animated background.

Ex.png

14 minutes ago, NZgamer said:

I believe Windows has an option for this in the graphics settings where you can choose what gpu you want to use, or make it so when you're in high performance mode it uses the gpu and when you're in battery saving mode it using the igpu

I would be delighted if you could tell me where because I can't find it.

16 minutes ago, Wendulan said:

Thanks for your reply, but I've already checked and Windows is actually using the Intel HD graphics. The Nvidia GPU is at 0% Usage while the Intel HD Graphics are somwhere in between 30% - 80% Usage. So it really isn't because the Nvidia GPU is generating a lot of heat but because the intel graphics get stressed about the animated background.

That makes perfect sense.

Somewhere there should be an option to tell Windows to only use the Nvidia GPU, but I forget where it would be..

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

9 hours ago, NZgamer said:

Settings > System > Display > Graphics Settings

You can set specific apps to use the Nvidia GPU here

Thank you,

I've had a look at the settings, they are interesting. But they are not exactly what I want. After Setting Wallpaper Engine on "High Performance". It still uses the igpu.

It seems like Microsoft really doesn't wants you to use the gpu as much as possible.

Not sure I get the point. If you had wallpaper engine run on the dGPU it would sound even louder...

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

8 hours ago, Kilrah said:

Not sure I get the point. If you had wallpaper engine run on the dGPU it would sound even louder...

My reasoning is the Nvidia GPU would be able to handle it at a much lower load, ultimatly putting out less heat and making it quieter.

But that might be wrong.

I'm just put off, that I cannot fully control which hardware my Computer should use at what time. Even if it is inefficient.