CPU not turbo boosting under load with high temperature.

Go to solution Solved by unclewebb,
12 hours ago, unclewebb said:

Your CPU is running at its full rated speed.

That means you can move outside to the Arctic and your CPU will not run 1 MHz faster. Just make sure your C states are enabled in the bios if you want to take advantage of the higher multipliers when lightly loaded.

Your CPU is running within the Intel temperature spec so no worries about it living a long life.

Hello,

Yesterday I upgraded my system and just made a rush build of below specs

Motherboard: Intel DB85FL

Processor: i5 4570

Ram-14GB

PSU: Antec 500W EarthWatt

GPU: RX 570 8GB

Boot Device: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB
Casing: Normal Mini ATX (Air Cooled 1 fan on the back)

So the issue is When I start a cpu intensive task like exporting video on Shotcut the CPU temp go above 80'C - 81'C and the task manager shows speed at 3.37GHZ, meanwhile I see this processor can boost up to 3.6GHZ.

I previously owned i5 3470, and I think that CPU performed better than this one. Can you Please suggest what could be wrong with the CPU, it is currently running on stock cooler, the room temperature now is 23.5'C, but CPU temp is above 80'C.

1515818162_Annotation2020-01-24232808.png.a0a8ef39b91a8daf8d1645138700dc25.png2069613320_Annotation2020-01-24232807.thumb.png.ff9e35a5cd4d1a11830bd6acd3811f36.png285278775_Annotation2020-01-24232809.png.30f5344b4f650ae5494e28901d5461ef.png

no boost when high temp is called throttling...

get a better cooler or adjust the temperature at which it should start thermal throttling

Throttling. Better cooler.

Black Knight-

Ryzen 5 5600, GIGABYTE B550M DS3H, 16Gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Asrock RX 6800 XT Phantom Gaming,

Seasonic Focus GM 750, Samsung EVO 860 EVO SSD M.2, Intel 660p Series M.2 2280 1TB PCIe NVMe, Linux Mint 20.2 Cinnamon

Daughter's Rig;

MSI B450 A Pro, Ryzen 5 3600x, 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Silicon Power A55 512GB SSD, Gigabyte RX 5700 Gaming OC, Corsair CX430

10 minutes ago, zedxer said:

Thanks, will these kind of coolers work?

actually I am on a tight budget. so,

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000040145949.html

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33056375514.html

same number of heat pipes, different fin count. 

I like the base of the first one, but has the lower fin count. (not by many)

These will both do better than the stock cooler and will be about the same in performance.

If they only come with one fan, purchase a second to push pull the air and you'll have even cooler temps.

Pick either one you like imo.

Edit:

Get the second one, it looks like it has 2 fans already.

5 hours ago, zedxer said:

but CPU temp is above 80'C

Intel CPUs will run at their full rated speed right up until they hit the thermal throttling temperature.  This happens when your CPU reaches 100°C.  A peak temperature over 80°C might be a little high but this temperature will not cause the CPU to slow down.  Buying a better heatsink and fan will allow your CPU to run cooler but it will not allow it to run any faster.  Do not waste your time or money on a new cooler.

The specs for the Core i5-4570 shows that when 4 cores are active, the maximum multiplier is 34.  

http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/Core_i5/Intel-Core i5-4570.html

Your CPU is running at its full rated speed.  It can only use the 35 and 36 multipliers when less cores are active.  You also need to have the core C states enabled in the bios.

7 hours ago, unclewebb said:

Intel CPUs will run at their full rated speed right up until they hit the thermal throttling temperature.  This happens when your CPU reaches 100°C.  A peak temperature over 80°C might be a little high but this temperature will not cause the CPU to slow down.  Buying a better heatsink and fan will allow your CPU to run cooler but it will not allow it to run any faster.  Do not waste your time or money on a new cooler.

The specs for the Core i5-4570 shows that when 4 cores are active, the maximum multiplier is 34.  

http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/Core_i5/Intel-Core i5-4570.html

Your CPU is running at its full rated speed.  It can only use the 35 and 36 multipliers when less cores are active.  You also need to have the core C states enabled in the bios.

Thanks for informing me this, I didn't know about multi-core boost differences.

Does this mean, the processor is performing normally as it should? also would a heat-sink cooler benefit the processor performance or its life in a long run?

12 hours ago, unclewebb said:

Your CPU is running at its full rated speed.

That means you can move outside to the Arctic and your CPU will not run 1 MHz faster. Just make sure your C states are enabled in the bios if you want to take advantage of the higher multipliers when lightly loaded.

Your CPU is running within the Intel temperature spec so no worries about it living a long life.