Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
BestBurritoSeller

Resulotion on a laptop

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, BestBurritoSeller said:

Can I set a custom resolution on my laptop in order to output a signal to a TV? 

Why would you need to? Just connect the HDMI-cable to your TV.


Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

Link to post
Share on other sites

In my experience, you have to connect the TV to the laptop, and then play with the output resolution and scaling of the TV.

 

You shouldn't need a custom resolution prior to connecting to the TV.

 

-Moved to Displays-

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
3 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

In my experience, you have to connect the TV to the laptop, and then play with the output resolution and scaling of the TV.

 

You shouldn't need a custom resolution prior to connecting to the TV.

 

-Moved to Displays-

So here's my situation, I'm trying to connect steam link to my tv and the way it might work for me is to stream to the laptop and just output the hdmi to the tv

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, BestBurritoSeller said:

So here's my situation, I'm trying to connect steam link to my tv and the way it might work for me is to stream to the laptop and just output the hdmi to the tv

You mean like a mirrored screen, or with the laptop screen off entirely?

 

Connect the laptop to the TV, then go into your display settings (right click > "Display Settings"), scroll down a bit, and select if you want to extend the displays, duplicate the displays, or show only on 1 or only on 2.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, BestBurritoSeller said:

Is there a good guide that explains how to use it? I'm not great with these kinds of programs. 

Well it's very basic, you launch it, you set the resolution that you need... Though I never tested it on modern OS...sorry it only supports up to WIN XP...

Link to post
Share on other sites

You can of course build your own script with autohotkey for example:

;
; AutoHotkey Version: 1.x
; Language:       English
; Platform:       Win9x/NT
; Author:         A.N.Other <myemail@nowhere.com>
;
; Script Function:
;	Template script (you can customize this template by editing "ShellNew\Template.ahk" in your Windows folder)
;

#NoEnv  ; Recommended for performance and compatibility with future AutoHotkey releases.
SendMode Input  ; Recommended for new scripts due to its superior speed and reliability.
SetWorkingDir %A_ScriptDir%  ; Ensures a consistent starting directory.
^6::
ChangeResolution(640,480)
return
 
^7::
ChangeResolution(1280,800)
return
 
ChangeResolution(w,h) {
  VarSetCapacity(dM,156,0)
  NumPut(156,dM,36)
  NumPut(0x5c0000,dM,40)
  NumPut(w,dM,108)
  NumPut(h,dM,112)
  DllCall( "ChangeDisplaySettingsA", UInt,&dM, UInt,0 )
}

Ctrl+ 6 turns reoslution to 640 by 480

Ctrl+ 7 to 1280 by 800

You can change hotkeys and resolutions to what you need

Link to post
Share on other sites

MultiRes did launch on WIN7 even though they didn't claim it would be supported...guess it was just made b4 WIN7 was even a thing

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
1 hour ago, VIVO-US said:

You mean like a mirrored screen, or with the laptop screen off entirely?

 

Connect the laptop to the TV, then go into your display settings (right click > "Display Settings"), scroll down a bit, and select if you want to extend the displays, duplicate the displays, or show only on 1 or only on 2.

 

Is it gonna cook my laptop if I set it to 4k?

15798914834442347195530969795153.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×