Need Help! New Build

SiCkHiTrEg

So I am pretty good with building pcs, water cooling and higher end stuff, however my friend asked me to help Him build a pc on a budget of around one thousand usd.  I have no idea where to start.  It will mostly be used for work related things and maybe occasional games.  For work it needs to support a dual monitor setup.   This is what i came up with real quick.  Any advice?  It would be really appreciated.

intel i5 9600k - $238.98

Geforce rtx 2060 - $399.55

Evga supernova 650 - $119.95

Msi b360 mobo - $99.99

Samsung evo m.2 1tb ssd - $169.99

16gb corsair vengeance ram - $99.99

Nzxt mid tower - $82.23

Totaling approx $1200.00

I am looking for advice to either improve cost/performance ratio.  I am sure I did not pick ideal parts all the way through.  And for what it needs to do I may have went overboard in areas.  Just needs dual monitor and be semi quick with maybe a few programs up at once for work.

Depending on the specific workload in question, it's very likely that Ryzen will be the better investment here.

If that M.2 SSD is a boot drive, it is possible to drop down to something like a 250/500 and opt for a mechanical drive for mass storage, you'd save a little money there.

It may also help to know specific models of things that you're looking at in terms of recommendations for specific items.

~Remember to quote posts to continue support on your thread~
-Don't be this kind of person-

CPU:  AMD Ryzen 7 5800x | RAM: 2x16GB Crucial Ripjaws Z | Cooling: XSPC/EK/Bitspower loop | MOBO: Gigabyte x570 Aorus Master | PSU: Seasonic Prime 750 Titanium  

SSD: 250GB Samsung 980 PRO (OS) | 1TB Crucial MX500| 2TB Crucial P2 | Case: Phanteks Evolv X | GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 (with EK Block) | HDD: 1x Seagate Barracuda 2TB

What kind of "work related things" does he do exactly?

Imo the 9600K really doesn't make much sense at this point in general, and pairing it with a B360 board also won't allow you to overclock it, so you might as well go with a 9400.

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

If you were going for a 9th gen CPU on a locked mobo, DDR4 2666 and a B365 board is the way to go

However, AMD is where the real bang for buck is

PCPartPicker Part List
Type Item Price
CPU AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor $179.99 @ Newegg
Motherboard ASRock B450M/AC Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard $84.99 @ Amazon
Memory Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory $64.98 @ Amazon
  Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts  
  Total $329.96
  Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-01-24 11:08 EST-0500  

9 minutes ago, SiCkHiTrEg said:

Geforce rtx 2060 - $399.55

Evga supernova 650 - $119.95

Samsung evo m.2 1tb ssd - $169.99

16gb corsair vengeance ram - $99.99

Nzxt mid tower - $82.23

The samsung evo series is a bit much for a gaming PC. You'll have the same experience with a much more budget oriented SSD.

you can get a lot more for $1200

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Main system: Ryzen 7 7800X3D / Asus ROG Strix B650E / G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 32GB 6000Mhz / Powercolor RX 7900 XTX Red Devil/ EVGA 750W GQ / NZXT H5 Flow

7 minutes ago, Semper said:

Depending on the specific workload in question, it's very likely that Ryzen will be the better investment here.

If that M.2 SSD is a boot drive, it is possible to drop down to something like a 250/500 and opt for a mechanical drive for mass storage, you'd save a little money there.

It may also help to know specific models of things that you're looking at in terms of recommendations for specific items.

5 minutes ago, Mateyyy said:

What kind of "work related things" does he do exactly?

Imo the 9600K really doesn't make much sense at this point in general, and pairing it with a B360 board also won't allow you to overclock it, so you might as well go with a 9400.

I just asked him what kind of programs need to be run.  And that list I just threw together real quick.  Im sure things will be swapped in and out.  And amd is an option, but I have always built intel and dont know much about their processors/ video cards.

4 minutes ago, SiCkHiTrEg said:

I just asked him what kind of programs need to be run.  And that list I just threw together real quick.  Im sure things will be swapped in and out.  And amd is an option, but I have always built intel and dont know much about their processors/ video cards.

Telling us what kind of programs he works with would've help.

The only scenario where Intel would probably make sense is if he was to work exclusively with the Adobe suite (because it's very optimised for Intel at the moment), and in that case, probably an i7-9700 would make more sense. Otherwise, Ryzen in general offers more threads for the same or even lower price, and now almost equivalent single-core performance compared to Coffee Lake, making them perfectly adequate for gaming too.

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

So, the workload is more for his wifes job.  Hes not sure what programs, but I dont think its too crazy intense stuff.  Just may need multiple programs running at once.

1 minute ago, Mateyyy said:

The only scenario where Intel would probably make sense is if he was to work exclusively with the Adobe suite (because it's very optimised for Intel at the moment), and in that case, probably an i7-9700 would make more sense. Otherwise, Ryzen in general offers more threads for the same or even lower price, and now almost equivalent single-core performance compared to Coffee Lake, making them perfectly adequate for gaming too.

Ok didn’t know that ill ask what specific programs and get back to you guys.  Thanks for the help.

1 hour ago, Mateyyy said:

So the programs that need to run are citrix, adobe, excel and word.