Are CALs needed for a Home Server?

waddled_away
Go to solution Solved by BrinkGG,
11 minutes ago, waddled_away said:

Okay, so if I have two users on the server and only  2 users that could use RDP at any time, I shouldn't need to worry aboiut CALs for my home server? I plan to use this server as a Proxy server and a storage server.

Correct. As far as my knowledge goes, Proxy and storage do not count towards CALs and you have only 2 RDP sessions at the same time. So you don't need them :D 

SO I plan on getting a home server that will only have at max 4-5 connection ever. I was wondering if CALs are only needed for businesses in case of audits or if they are still needed on a home server. I was also wondering that if I don't have the CALs would Microsoft ever be able to / go through with auditing my home server. Just wondering as I'm new to server things and I want to make sure of this before I start buying and running a home server. Any advice / help is much appreciated, sorry if this question is in the wrong forum.

8 minutes ago, waddled_away said:

SO I plan on getting a home server that will only have at max 4-5 connection ever. I was wondering if CALs are only needed for businesses in case of audits or if they are still needed on a home server. I was also wondering that if I don't have the CALs would Microsoft ever be able to / go through with auditing my home server. Just wondering as I'm new to server things and I want to make sure of this before I start buying and running a home server. Any advice / help is much appreciated, sorry if this question is in the wrong forum.

My knowledge of CALs isn't great, but I do have to use them in my work environment so I have some experience with them.

For Windows Server, you use CALs when you have more then 2-5 devices connecting to the same server for something like RDP, local web log-in access, etc. Their use cases are fairly specific, and most home users shouldn't need them. You do not need them for having multiple devices access a file share or some other shared services. (I'm not sure of the full list) 

With that said, what are you planning on using the server for?

If you need to have more than 2 simultaneous RDP connections, you would need either a UserCAL (If your RDP sessions aren't all connecting via the same user account) or a Device CAL (logs the MAC address of the client and saves that to the CAL) for each connection. I usually recommend User CALs unless you have more users then devices, as you can RDP with 1 user account from multiple devices.

Fine you want the PSU tier list? Have the PSU tier list: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1116640-psu-tier-list-40-rev-103/

Stille (Desktop)

Ryzen 9 3900XT@4.5Ghz - Cryorig H7 Ultimate - 16GB Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz- MSI RTX 3080 Ti Ventus 3x OC - SanDisk Plus 480GB - Crucial MX500 500GB - Intel 660P 1TB SSD - (2x) WD Red 2TB - EVGA G3 650w - Corsair 760T

Evoo Gaming 15"
i7-9750H - 16GB DDR4 - GTX 1660Ti - 480GB SSD M.2 - 1TB 2.5" BX500 SSD 

VM + NAS Server (ProxMox 6.3)

1x Xeon E5-2690 v2  - 92GB ECC DDR3 - Quadro 4000 - Dell H310 HBA (Flashed with IT firmware) -500GB Crucial MX500 (Proxmox Host) Kingston 128GB SSD (FreeNAS dev/ID passthrough) - 8x4TB Toshiba N300 HDD

Toys: Ender 3 Pro, Oculus Rift CV1, Oculus Quest 2, about half a dozen raspberry Pis (2b to 4), Arduino Uno, Arduino Mega, Arduino nano (x3), Arduino nano pro, Atomic Pi. 

On 1/24/2020 at 9:22 AM, BrinkGG said:

My knowledge of CALs isn't great, but I do have to use them in my work environment so I have some experience with them.

For Windows Server, you use CALs when you have more then 2-5 devices connecting to the same server for something like RDP, local web log-in access, etc. Their use cases are fairly specific, and most home users shouldn't need them. You do not need them for having multiple devices access a file share or some other shared services. (I'm not sure of the full list) 

With that said, what are you planning on using the server for?

If you need to have more than 2 simultaneous RDP connections, you would need either a UserCAL (If your RDP sessions aren't all connecting via the same user account) or a Device CAL (logs the MAC address of the client and saves that to the CAL) for each connection. I usually recommend User CALs unless you have more users then devices, as you can RDP with 1 user account from multiple devices.

Okay, so if I have two users on the server and only  2 users that could use RDP at any time, I shouldn't need to worry aboiut CALs for my home server? I plan to use this server as a Proxy server and a storage server.

11 minutes ago, waddled_away said:

Correct. As far as my knowledge goes, Proxy and storage do not count towards CALs and you have only 2 RDP sessions at the same time. So you don't need them :D 

Fine you want the PSU tier list? Have the PSU tier list: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1116640-psu-tier-list-40-rev-103/

Stille (Desktop)

Ryzen 9 3900XT@4.5Ghz - Cryorig H7 Ultimate - 16GB Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz- MSI RTX 3080 Ti Ventus 3x OC - SanDisk Plus 480GB - Crucial MX500 500GB - Intel 660P 1TB SSD - (2x) WD Red 2TB - EVGA G3 650w - Corsair 760T

Evoo Gaming 15"
i7-9750H - 16GB DDR4 - GTX 1660Ti - 480GB SSD M.2 - 1TB 2.5" BX500 SSD 

VM + NAS Server (ProxMox 6.3)

1x Xeon E5-2690 v2  - 92GB ECC DDR3 - Quadro 4000 - Dell H310 HBA (Flashed with IT firmware) -500GB Crucial MX500 (Proxmox Host) Kingston 128GB SSD (FreeNAS dev/ID passthrough) - 8x4TB Toshiba N300 HDD

Toys: Ender 3 Pro, Oculus Rift CV1, Oculus Quest 2, about half a dozen raspberry Pis (2b to 4), Arduino Uno, Arduino Mega, Arduino nano (x3), Arduino nano pro, Atomic Pi.